Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K10 or Mazzer Kony

Hi all,

I have been browsing the forums for a couple of months now as I have embarked on a journey into business by starting a stall at some markets in Brisbane. I have now come to the point where I am ready to buy a grinder.

Through mostly just research online I have come down to 2 grinders. The Compak K10 or the Mazzer Kony. I am someone that buys for the future, and not just for now, so if you are thinking that these are a bit hefty, then please consider that I may look to open a store down the track.

So my questions are:

- Could anybody offer some reason to go with the K10 or the Kony?
    - Where is a good place to buy these in Brisbane? if possible.
    - Whats a good price for both if paying cash? Talk coffees CS member price for the Kony is the best ive seen at $1700. Any reccomendations for a good street price for the K10 or the Kony. I may have seen prices somewhere around the $1800 mark for the K10, but cant remeber where.

At the moment im leaning towards the K10. Mainly due to reports that the Kony can be a bit slow. Granted im new to this and I will only be servicing Markets and the like for now, but again, im planning for the future as well.

Would love to hear you thoughts. And quickjly if possible. Looking to buy tomorrow...

EDIT: Lets add the Mazzer Major in there as well.

Re: Compak K10 or Mazzer Kony

Hi and welcome Marcus
    In Brisbane Barazi in Coopers Plains (but I dont know if the have them in stock)

You mention that you might be opening a shop down the track

I read somewhere that David Makin (Australian Barista Champ) went overtime on one of his competitions because the Kony was slower than anticipated

However what you want is good grinder that preforms day in day out
    and a cafe is not a competition so a few seconds does not really apply

Both Mazzer Kony and Compak K10 will do this without raising a sweat

You could also look at the king of grinders the Mazzer Robur

Another line of grinders not to overlook is the Macap M7

KK

Comment

Originally posted by marcus link=1217388142/0#0 date=1217388142
      So my questions are:

- Could anybody offer some reason to go with the K10 or the Kony?
      Yes- definitely K10. The Kony is just too slow.

- Where is a good place to buy these in Brisbane? if possible.
      Not sure- Veneziano will be able to supply both once theyre open. Nevertheless, shipping from Melbourne or Sydney wont break the bank.

- Whats a good price for both if paying cash? Talk coffees CS member price for the Kony is the best ive seen at $1700. Any reccomendations for a good street price for the K10 or the Kony. I may have seen prices somewhere around the $1800 mark for the K10, but cant remeber where.
      Best bet is to call some dealers. RRP of the K10 Diamond is $1850, The WBC $1950 and the Kony is $2140, Major $1660

At the moment im leaning towards the K10. Mainly due to reports that the Kony can be a bit slow. Granted im new to this and I will only be servicing Markets and the like for now, but again, im planning for the future as well.
      Yes- great choice.

Would love to hear you thoughts. And quickjly if possible. Looking to buy tomorrow...

EDIT: Lets add the Mazzer Major in there as well.
      The Major is a terrific grinder and well suited to high volume. Its VERY fast. I guess the choice demends on that 5% that a great Conical can put in the cup....

Chris

Comment

You cant go past the K10. I have a customer at the markets here that has 2 side by side and they do over 1000 cups a morning.

Im on the sunny coast and can arrange a K10 overnight to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1217388142/0#3 date=1217391569
          You cant go past the K10. I have a customer at the markets here that has 2 side by side and they do over 1000 cups a morning.

Im on the sunny coast and can arrange a K10 overnight to you.
          And that to me sounds like Q.E.D

Victorian K10 stock is about 2 weeks away....

Chris

Comment

Wow, things move quick around here!

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Not quite QEDd yet as there may not be any stock up here either.

Will let you know how it turns out...researching the Macap M7 now....

Comment

Well, thanks to both Chris at Talk Coffee, and Jason at Pioneer Roaster. You were both amazingly helpful and quick.

Also, thanks to Kosmo for the advice and suggestions. The Macap was not suitable for a reason that wouldnt have been apparent in my post. I need to be very careful with the wattages of the appliance I am using as I am doing this mobile and my generator power is limited.

I ended up getting the K10 WBC spec (because it was the only one left, otherwise I wouldve gone with the Diamond). Concesnsus from at least 3 sources, plus the internet, was that the Kony was too slow, so that ruled that out. I will let you know how my endeavour goes in the coming weeks.

At least my grinder shouldnt be the weak link in the chain =D

Comment

Kony is nauseatingly slowwwwwwwwwwwwww

K10 for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1217388142/0#7 date=1217430649

K10 for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  ;D I was waiting for you, DS, to give your POV on this one

Comment

Wow, things do move fast round here. Even though its kind of belated, heres my two cents.

Id immediantly rule out the major straight away. Its fast, but sos the k10 and its connicle, so for that reason alone (for me) the major is out of the picture.

Sure, the kony is slow, but its still managable. What I think is important, is that it tends to produce a slightly brighter tasting coffee than the k10. This can be great thing if thats what your market wants (which, to be far is probably unlikely) or, if the blend/s you are typically using are a little flat or body driven, the kony will help liven them up.

And as for the k10, for me it rules supreme. Clean, consistent and able to handle decent volume. Also, i dont think Ive ever seen a second hand k10 up for sale (with the exception of DS who was upgrading to the new model) which speaks volumes for their last-ability.

Comment

Originally posted by 6042445F585244370 link=1217388142/7#7 date=1217430649
                      has this changed with the new models?

Comment

Alrighty,

I weakened yesterday and now the GS/3 has a kony-e and a decaf KS to keep it company.

Build of the Kony is great and the biggest difference is that its waaaay quieter than the K10 was. Its a tad slower than the K10 with a grind time of 9.5 sec for an updosed double- so the youtube clips seem about right. Timed dose from shot to shot is terrific. Overall, I dose faster than I can with the K10 with brush off etc. The bench is much cleaner too! Clumping (or lack thereof) about the same as the Robur-e

So far, no appreciable difference in shot quality between the Kony and K10...

Funny how some doserless grinders seem so much faster  :-/. For a double, Macap M4 circa 20 seconds, M4D only 10- seconds...Kony doser nauseatingly slow. Kony-e, ok...I cant explain that one....

Chris

Comment

Wow, just saw this post as I was browsing through. Still kicking around...

Well, its a year or more on and I went with the k10. No regrets. Its a great grinder. I have used a Kony in the meantime and it is slow. Compak FTW on a few points.

Comment

How about now, marcus? Still going strong? I'm interested as I am looking at one to complement my Rocket Evoluzione v2...

Comment

Working...
                            X