Manual Travel grinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Travel grinders?

Hi all, so Im looking for a manual grinder to take travelling. Mainly to grind up for a syphon. Is there anything thats a bit more up to date and compact than the traditional box and crank? Like a modern day pepper grinder thingy for coffee? One that you can vary the grind a bit? Maybe something like those cylindrical grinders with the crank.

Am I asking too much or is ther something out there? :

Re: Manual Travel grinders?

Have you seen this one?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/hand_crank_travel_coffee_grinder.php

edited: spell check

Comment

It is adjustable from espresso to plunga.

Comment

Hi mate

Your looking for a Zassenhaus Coffee Mill I reckon, try on a quick google search on that brough these up, but im sure you can find a supplier in Aus? Others will jump in and let you know Im sure...

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml

http://baldmountaincoffee.com/page/BMCC/CTGY/Manual_Coffee_Mills

Good luck...

Comment

Hazel has one that looks like a giant pepper mill.

I cant remember what brand it is or where she got it.
          Im going to her shopfront opening on Saturday.
          I could try to remember to ask.

Comment

Yeah thats the only one Ive seen around at the moment, are these avaiable in OZ? Ive only seen them in the US. And I wouldnt mind having a play before paying more in shipping than what its worth.

Thanks rudy!

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1218707433/0#4 date=1218709796
              Like this?

It has a "trespade" badge on it, and does a decent plunger grind -- have never tried it for espresso tho.

Comment

Thats not a "Maine Coon Cat" hiding back there is it Simone? Not that we can see very much of him/her from here...

From what Ive heard talking to a couple of people who own grinders similar to the one in the picture (a Zassenhaus Turkish Coffee Grinder), they do a very decent job of grinding for espresso. Theyre not cheap though but quite well made and very portable. Im not sure whether any of our Site Sponsors stock them, or similar units but it might be worth a try contacting them...

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1218707433/0#5 date=1218709913
                  Yeah thats the only one Ive seen around at the moment, are these avaiable in OZ? Ive only seen them in the US. And I wouldnt mind having a play before paying more in shipping than what its worth.

Thanks rudy!
                  Sory Yeeza, dont think I know of any Oz seller. It is cheap though...try amazon, their shipping rates are usually very reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1218707433/0#4 date=1218709796

I cant remember what brand it is or where she got it.
                    Im going to her shopfront opening on Saturday.
                    I could try to remember to ask.
                    Thanks TG, Ill ask her myself ....... and see you there!

Comment

Hey Dan

I did some research for something trying to come up with a match for the Aero at a reasonable price. Not much luck!

Some camping stores have the type rudy describes - you dont have to go OS to get them, but they really arent much better than a pepper grinder from k-mart.

Didnt Presso have the zass?

The turkish style grinder is a lot of work, but more affordable than the zass. You can hunt them down in middle eastern shops that import foods. Theres a coffee roaster at Newtown around near the drama theatre (cant think of the name). He can be a crotchety old bloke and has been there for decades - Ive seen them there for around $50.00.

Comment

Dennis I think that ones call Allegro and last time I was there he had several different sizes in the window and the prices appeared reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1218707433/0#11 date=1218784316
                          Dennis I think that ones call Allegro and last time I was there he had several different sizes in the window and the prices appeared reasonable.
                          Yep, thats the one!

Comment

Whats the grind quality like on these suckers though?

Comment

You can grind as fine as turkish with them Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X