Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catastrophe! Mazzer vs cleaning brush...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catastrophe! Mazzer vs cleaning brush...

Bit of a stalemate really -- Mazzer has brush, brush jams Mazzer, I have *no coffee*. Aaarrggh.

Dont you just love WTF moments you inflict on yourself >

Re: Catastrophe! Mazzer vs cleaning brush...

aaaaahhh....

Comment

put it this way simone, youll only do it once - trust me

Comment

Cant you just access the burrs through the bean throat and rotate them anticlockwise a bit to release the jam? If not loosen the Philips head screws on the top of the collar that prevent it being turned too far and unscrew the collar. It takes about 5 clockwise revolutions and youll have the collar off and can then get full access to the lower burrs (and brush bristles! ). Make sure power is OFF when doing this (and unplugged from wall). Just make sure the four springs for the burr carrier stay in place in the machine, do this in a place free of hungry crevices that could devour a wayward spring!

Greg

Comment

Now that Greg has provided helpful advice I feel ok to say...

Didnt your mother ever tell you not to play in the traffic Simone?

;D

Comment

Its all very hard to describe -- this happened this morning of course, when Im half asleep and in a hurry. Sigh.

So after a few abortive pokes I departed out the door whilst generously hinting to my SO that if he could see his way pretty please to somehow persuading Maz to disgorge her victim that would be really good...

It turned out that the brush was jammed so solidly that absolutely nothing would move (except the collar of course). I am assured by the "fixer of grinders" that even with the collar off and the top burr set out still nothing could be made to move. Hitting with hammers and the like was prohibited, of course!

A special tool had to be constructed to get the lower burr carrier to move. I may post some more photos in a bit...

This apparently took all afternoon (glad I wasnt around :-[). Maz is in pieces, the brush (remains thereof) have been freed, and we now possess a cylindrical device made of MDF whose sole raison detre is to free jammed MM burrs.

Now -- how does it all go back together...

Comment

Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1218714974/0#3 date=1218715896
                Make sure power is OFF when doing this (and unplugged from wall).
                Yes indeed -- I had a very nasty moment on the way to work when I realised the thing was still plugged in but I hadnt said so to the lucky person left holding the baby (so to speak)

Mazzer eats brushes -- bet shed make short work of fingers too

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1218714974/0#3 date=1218715896
                Just make sure the four springs for the burr carrier stay in place in the machine, do this in a place free of hungry crevices that could devour a wayward spring!
                Just eyeing those springs off at the moment -- apparently they suck up into vacuum cleaners really well

Playing in the traffic? : I still cant believe I started to clean it without switching it off!! Id heard of people doing things like this -- forewarned is forearmed, right?

Apparently not :P

Comment

Just goes to show how quietly it runs.

Comment

Yay! Were back in business!

Tho one worry -- the adjustment collar seems even stiffer than before -- hope we havent committed the dreaded cross-threading blunder :-/

Maybe itll loosen up ...

And heres special grinder tool no. 1 ;D

Comment

And in situ...

The idea being to use a large spanner or similar to apply rotational force, to make the burr-carrier back up enough to release the brush.

Comment

How much is your SO planning to sell the grinder tools for?

Comment

Well, Im not sure... this of course is a handcrafted item, made of quality materials, to exacting tolerances... :

Not to mention specialized...

Which of your several grinders is hungry for a brushy snack, TG?

Mark II (patent pending! ;D) is going to be an adaptation to hold the carrier still so the screws holding the lower burrs can be easily removed, for when we finally get our hands on a new set of burrs.

Its an ill-wind... 8-)

Comment

What the photos dont show is the craftmanship that has gone into the base. Because it is engineered to such close tolerances I couldnt put a price on it. Guess that makes it priceless. May be $0.01 worth of material if I round up.  

Comment

Pure Gold guys! Gave me something to snort over this mornings coffee! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X