Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mazzer mini clumping

Hi all,

Ive been using the mini for a couple of months now. I still get clumps in the pf. Is this because Im "thwacking" too slowly to avoid doing a "sweep left" mod? Im getting the occasional channelling though I think this might be my tamping tech.

cheers,

sd

Re: mazzer mini clumping

I get this to a small degree. I think its to do with static electriciy and there is more than one technique that might help. One technique is to dispense the grounds into a cup and stir it with a toothpick or similar. I just tap the pf on the bench a couple of times during dosing. The clumps seem to break up and it helps to ensure the grounds are more evenly distributed.

I used to thwack slowly at first but now I do it a bit faster. Dont know if that helps the clumping.

Comment

Grinding though the doser will help alleviate clumping. Simply thwack as you grind for the shot, instead of waiting till all the coffee is ground.

Comment

cheers flynnaus and nunu,

thats helped with the clumping. still getting a little channeling down one side...have to work on my dose/tamp technique :-[

sd

Comment

Originally posted by smokeydeck link=1222030486/0#3 date=1222141334
          thats helped with the clumping.  still getting a little channeling down one side...have to work on my dose/tamp technique  :-[sd
          Yeah know about that. Its due to grounds distribution while dosing. Try rotating the handle slowly left and right while thwacking or give it a bit of a shake. When filled almost to the brim, give the pf a couple of taps on the bench to settle the grounds then continue dosing until mounded. Use a straight edge like a knife blade to sweep grounds back and forth until evenly distributed and then level off and then start tamping.

I think Im getting it right now. The key point that was made to me is that when you get a technique that works, stick with it so if the shot isnt right, the only variable you should change is the grinder setting.

Comment

Working...
          X