Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Grinder

Gday folks,

Newbie here...  I have had a look around the topic and cannot find any information on manual grinders...

I go bush regularly, and want to have a manual grinder to cover my bases when out in the boonies. (no power and a Presso)

I would like a good one, and really do not have any idea on what I am looking for.  Ideally I will need an espresso grind.

Any advice or more to the point, any pitfalls to look out for would be truly appreciated!!  (be kind to me, and please treat me like an idiot as I really want to learn about this)

Thanks in advance!!

Bob

Re: Manual Grinder

Hi and welcome Rasta

The best manual grinders are the German made
    Zassenhaus Coffee Grinders
    Cost is about $140 but well worth it as they will last for decades

KK

Comment

hi rastas

the turkish grinders are quite good
      being cylindrical they also pack well

graham

Comment

I has a look at the Zassenhaus on line. Methinks a trip to Mr Coffee is in order...

I had not heard of the turkish grinder.. Time for more research!! Thanks for the responses so far..

Bob

Comment

Hi Rastas,

I just ran my morning beans past my Zass grinder (43 year old) for a Syphon Brew rather than adjusting my big electric one. It took about 2 minutes to do the grind on 20g of beans so done well before the kettle boiled The grind quality and consistancy is possibly better than my old Ibiteral electric grinder

The turkish grinder might be a better option than the zass for the presso as I believe they can grind finer also a good weapon to throw at a wild marauding possum

If you have a bit more of a look around you will find some plastic/ceramic grinders but they seem to have a problem with broken bits in hiking kits.

Comment

Some of the better Turkish mills are fitted with
            Zassenhaus hardened chrome steel cutting burs

Ask on the quality of the burs

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml
            About half way down the page

KK

Comment

Hey all. Im looking for a manual mill as a Chrissie present for my brother to go with a Presso - I really like the style of the Zassenhaus 159 - see here - but damned if I can find any mentions of it apart from that site.

Anyone have any advice on where I could find one?

Thanks
              Matty

Comment

Hi Matty, I have the zassenhaus 156 that I use with my presso. It is great! I purchased mine from Presso when they had there sale in June. I have taken it and my Presso away quite a few times and they work really well together. I am not sure if Presso have anymore but it is a starting point.

Good luck with your purchase.

Comment

Hi Matty,

havnt seen the 159 being carried in Oz by anyone so maybe try emailling Zassenhaus and ask the question who if anyone they have sold that model to here?

happy hunting

Comment

Gday Matty, just a quick reply, I have had a Zassenhaus 151 [smiley=thumbsup.gif] for about 20 years , picked it up at flemington markets NSW for $25 then, great machine , if you search for coffeecompany you might be able to source the model you are looking for even though they are marked as out of stock at the moment, cheers Gaz

Comment

Oops accidentally put in a web address , if you search for "coffeecompany australia zassenhaus" you will hopefully find the links Gaz

Comment

I was in their store the other day, none available. They told me there is no longer an Australian distributor...

Comment

Would love to get my hands on one of these. Anyone know of any Australian sellers with stock?

I was looking at buying a Turkish grinder (Zassenhaus 175M) from SweetMarias but thats going to cost me about $150 or so shipped. Still might be my best option but I thought I might give CS another try. FWIW, yes Ive read the above thread (and other sites) and Coffee Company no longer stock them. The "Hon" model Turkish grinder is not adjustable.

I intend to travel to Singapore in March and might be able to at least drink freshly ground plunger coffee over there rather than the awful instant I had to drink last time. The Zass Turkish grinder seems ideal for travel purposes as long as it doesnt appear b0mb-like in luggage x-rays.

Comment

I saw some brass Turkish coffee grinders in a little cafe in Newtown.

Comment

Thanks TG.

AFAIK most Turkish grinders are non-adjustable which is fine if you want fine. Im after adjustable ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X