Where does your grinder live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does your grinder live?

Ive upgraded (again) and need to move things around. Which got me to thinking, which side should the grinder be on? Is the right side suited to the right handed?

Re: Where does your grinder live?

I usually put mine on the right - that is, on the opposite side to the steam arm. Then Ive got a workflow from right to left. But for a Silvia (right hand side steam arm), Ill have it the other way around.

charlie

Comment

Mine lives part way between green been and caffeinated Utopia ;D

Comment

Same as Charlie, but I think there are a number of factors that can drive placement.

For me, its on the right for 2 main reasons.
        Im set up on a corner of the benchtop with more space to the right than the left.
        The steam arm is on the left.

I believe my doser sweep arm can be changed to the left if required, but Im happy with it on the right.

Im not certain left or right handed really comes into it with me. I steamed as a lefty with the Silvia and I steam as a righty on the Expobar. I think you just get used to what youve got unless you have a specific physical requirement.

Brett.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1225432273/0#2 date=1225433834
          Mine lives part way between green been and caffeinated Utopia  ;D
          Very Zen set-up Chris

I too would agree with Charlie - placement on the right tends to optimise a bit of streamlined workflow.

Wheres your bang-bang bin situated though? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1225432273/0#4 date=1225434160

Wheres your bang-bang bin situated though? :-?
            Under the pile of coffee on the bench  ;D. Unless its cleaning day, then its visible between the grinder and machine  

Comment

The grinder location is determined as in all things by reference to the centre of my universe.   Hows that for zen?

What it means is that SWMBO has allocated me a certain part of the kitchen bench and by having the machine up against the wall it reduces the visual impact of the coffee stuff.   Therefore the grinder (and bang-bang) must be on the left.

Comment

I have Rocky on the left hand side of Silvia so that the right side is free for steaming milk and emptying portafilter into knock box and tamping etc.

Comment

My grinder is on the left but I have enough room there for it.
                  I can easily reach the dosing handle and it doesnt get in the way of the steam arm.
                  Theres less room to the right of the machine and the knock box is on that side.

Comment

Hmm... well im in the same boat as FB. Have a corner to work with. The only other free bench space is the breakfast bar and i cant use that. Even then the corner is restrictive as there is a stove top to the right and tray that leads into the sink on the left. What to do. :

Comment

At home it is across the other side of the room...

However at work for some reasons it is on the L/H side... See attached.

In addition I share this EM6910R with another snob... Further more we had to post RULES as others were making a meal of what they though might have been FREE coffee. However it has in turn led some to look at getting their own systems and learning from the whole experience...

Comment

Thanks for the pic AM. I did search through the "What Coffee Equipment do you all have" - Part 1-3 in hope of getting some ideas. Im still lost though, nothing seems right

Comment

Originally posted by NE14COFFEE link=1225432273/0#11 date=1225494721
                          Im still lost though, nothing seems right  
                          The problem is that the kitchen was built, then you added your coffee gear....the solution is to build the kitchen around your coffee gear.

Comment

OlSmokey has hit the nail on the head yet again...

My wife and I both agree (Shock horror) that if we ever get another chance, the kitchen will under go a major revamp or be revisited to suite not only her cooking / baking needs but also the coffee needs...

Further more it must also seat at least 6 if not 8 people.

Eating and drinking are social activities and others like to be close to the action or be able to join in... The trick is to do it on a budget that will not break the bank.

Comment

haha, I bought a place when I was looking for an apartment, that had cupboards and bench space that could fit my gear on..... and any future upgrades

Comment

Working...
                              X