Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Mods

Hey all,

Pulled appart Ms Rocky the other day, and thought it was about time to do some of the mods on this forum; now its not too scary to pull appart.

For those who have done the Rocky plastic tubing mod, does it make the rocky stepless?? Do you have to disable the little pin to stop it locking into the hopper (ie. stepped), or does the tubing raise the whole thing enough that the locking pin cant reach the hopper? (I wouldnt think so as the burrs still have to be same distance appart to pull a shot!) Hmmm???

Also, im assuming with the plastic tubing mod there is no reason to do the teflon tape mod, as the tubing acts as a spring, taking up the slack in the holder threads??

Also, my real zero is 4, any one else have it this high, or is this unusual? As the start of the thread on the upper burr holder is always in the same spot, you cant change the real zero?? (ie. its just in the factory matching of the upper and lower holders). And what a random thing to see - a bent screw! I thought id done this myself somehow, but was good to see others with the same random thing in theirs!

Thanks

Re: Rocky Mods

Yes to the mods part of your post. Just stick a bean or a bit of doubled over tubing under the case after depressing the adjustment button...keeps it in the adjustment position. The tube makes for stepless friction based adjustment and takes up carrier slack. Dont worry about 4 as the zero, just get your zero point when the burr plate start touching when running - and take out the stopper screw so you can get a really fine grind which some beans require.

Cheers

Comment

I did both the plastic tubing and the plumbers tape mod--just to ensure that the movement would be next to nil under all conditions, and that the adjustment wouldnt change without a very deliberate act on my part.

I didnt remove the custom-bent screw cause my Rocky went quite fine enough with it in place.

Greg
      ps--all this really improved the grind quality and totally eliminated the traces of fines in the cup.

Comment

You could do both - I found the tube mod caused a very tight burr set up...but it may depend on the tube diameter, the tube material, and the actual grinder - because they are all a bit different.

Cheers

PS. Yep it improves it from a number of angles, and in the cup things are really very good

Comment

Looks like ill be off to Bunnings in the morning to get some tubing!

Can either of you remember which diameter tubing you used??

Comment

No - but from memory it was about the size of the stuff you plumb up aquariums with and black...very small in other words and at a guess about 3-4mm

Comment

Hey fleery,

The tubing I used was clear stuff with a diameter of about 10mm and a thickness of about 1mm. I think my husband got it from bunnings.

I cut it lengthwise and splayed it open and then threaded it around the rocky. I also cut a small piece off and lodged it above the button thingy so that it is always depressed (thus the pin doesnt lock in).

Good luck with the modifying!
              -Sanch

Comment

I used silicone fuel tubing used on r/c models, also did the teflon tape. It was a bit of work to get it back together with the teflon tape, but once there it is great, tight adjustments, and I havent noticed it wander yet.

Comment

There are two tubing mods--one around the upper burr carrier that only works on quite fine grinds (and is invisible), and another where the tubing fits onto the metal surrounding the hopper and binds against the hopper body.

The first pushes the burr carrier up and acts a bit like the springs on a mini mazzer, stabilizing the burrs; the second just makes Rocky stepless but doesnt affect the burr wobbles quite as effectively, but does work on all grind sizes.

I tried both and preferred the first plus the teflon tape. I used 10-12 mm surgical tubing cause it was more elastic than the clear plastic.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X