Correct procedure for grinding "just enough" beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct procedure for grinding "just enough" beans

I am using a Mazzer Super Jolly but I presume the correct procedure would be the same/similar for all machines. I am not exactly sure of how Im supposed to properly use the machine (with doser) so could someone correct the following steps if they are incorrect?

1. Ensure that there are no foreign objects in the grinding well (I presume this should be free of grinds/beans from the last use).

2. Turn on the grinder

3. Put in desired quantity of beans (if I want 14g or so for a double basket approx. how many grams of beans should I be putting in bearing in mind I have a doser?)

4. Wait until the grinding well has been swept as clean as it will sweep

5. Turn off machine and cover grinding well (hopperless)

6. Dose

I guess my main questions are whether the steps are correctly ordered (eg. turn on grinder before putting in beans or vice versa), and what quantity of beans results in what quantity of grinds).

Yes I will "trial and error" but beans are expensive and secondly Im bored at work waiting for home time so I can buy some fresh beans and play

Re: Correct procedure for grinding "just enough" b

For the double basket ijn my VBM about 18g is what I have been using but it looks as though 19 or 20g is better. I used to use a scale but now I find a level 1/4 cup measuring cup provides exactly the right dose.

I dont fuss that much about step 1 as there will be no foreign objects in there. Does your hopper have a gate? I find this almost essential for per-dose use.

1. Hit the dosing lever a few times to sweep any old grounds out of the doser into the doser lid

2. Add required dose of beans to the hopper with gate closed

3. Turn on the grinder

4. Open gate and ensure all bean to fall into the grinding chamber

5. Start dosing straight into the portafilter after a couple of seconds.

6. When grinding stops, I turn off the grinder and  sweep grounds out of the grinding chamber chute (that feeds into the doser chamber) using a brush. Then I turn the grinder back on so any grinds left in teh throat are ejected into the dosing chamber and then dose into the pf
    Step 6 may not be necessary for the SJ but the Mini always clumps here.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn_aus link=1226880013/0#1 date=1226884104
      For the double basket ijn my VBM about 18g is what I have been using but it looks as though 19 or 20g is better. I used to use a scale but now I find a level 1/4 cup measuring cup provides exactly the right dose.

I dont fuss that much about step 1 as there will be no foreign objects in there. Does your hopper have a gate? I find this almost essential for per-dose use.
      Im going to be going "topless" for a while so no, no gate.

So when you did use a scale, did 18g of beans equate to 18g of grinds? Or do I need to put in significantly more than 18g to get 18g out?

Comment

Ive got to know how much volume of bean in a measuring spoon I normally need to use, and this goes straight into the throat which is then covered with the doser lid and then the grinding starts. Its only an approximation, but my dosing / settling technique is always the same so if I end up with not quite enough I just add another half a dozen beans or whatever and carry on. If you get some spillage therell be variation too but providing your technique is the same youll be able to get consistency.

Once youve used it a few times to build up the wearable gasket around the burrs, 18g in = 18g out, apart from whats left behind in the grinder. The exit chute looks to hold a lot of coffee but its only about 2g, so you can almost ignore the few dozen particles that may be left behind in the grinder. If you sweep the chute out after dosing you should get for all intents and purposes 100% return.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadnz link=1226880013/0#2 date=1226885383
          Im going to be going "topless" for a while so no, no gate.

So when you did use a scale, did 18g of beans equate to 18g of grinds? Or do I need to put in significantly more than 18g to get 18g out?
          Id put something over the top of the grinder chamber when not in use to stop stuff from going in there e.g. a drink coaster.

No, youll get close to 18g back but there will be a small amount of loss due to grinds sticking to various parts of the grinder path.
          You grind enough to dose the portafilter properly - thats why I stopped weighing. Its the dose, not the weight, that matters. The scales helped to give me an initial idea of the qty of beans required.

Comment

Ok thanks everyone. Is there a right/wrong over turning the grinder on before/after putting beans into the grinding well?

I know that you shouldnt tighten the grinding adjustment without the machine running/being empty in case you clamp a bean between the burrs and then fry the motor, but my grinder will be "empty" so does it matter how it is turned on?

Comment

Nope. Thered be marginally more load being started full of beans, but theyre designed to be used with a hopper full of coffee pushing 1/2kg of beans into the burrs so without a hopper youll be being comparatively nice to it either way.

Comment

My method for ensuring fresh grind and no stale dregs (on my Maz Mini, but it should be similar):

First, unscrew and throw away the shield inside the doser.  Clean out the throat of the grinder back to the sweeper blades with a small brush - I use the little pokey brush that came with my machine, I think it was for cleaning the group head area.

1) pour a level 1/3rd measuring cup of beans into the empty hopper (1/3 cup is just about right for a double)

2) grind until beans run out.

3) clear the throat with said small brush

4) run the grinder momentarily to clear out any remaining ground coffee from the sweeper.

5) clear throat with the brush again.

6) dose the whole amount into your PF until the doser is empty.

Comment

ahmadnz,

I run topless too.
                  I use rubber plunger as a lid [yes It was a new one!]
                  My Compak retains quite a lot of grinds in the chute [~2g] so on completion of grinding, I give the plunger a whack with my fist and air blast all the excess grind from the chamber and chute.
                  [The grind + the airblast = a double dose]
                  Luckilly with the K8, in the throat there is a point where brass meets plastic and this pretty much my fill point for a double shot, other wise you could fill via a smallish measuring/medicine cup.

Comment

Originally posted by reubster link=1226880013/0#8 date=1227220536
                    you could fill via  a smallish measuring/medicine cup.
                    Just measure using the filter basket.

Comment

Or one of these....they hold exactly 18g,
                      apart from measuring your dose they are just perfect for those occasions when you need to carry a double shots worth of beans around.

Comment

*edit* Greg touched on this with the weight

just been reading a little and came across someone mentioning inconsistent grind due to "bean hop" .

Ive been using the level 1/4 cup deal but have noticed the beans start jumping around, so should we be grinding with more beans in the hopper to add weight and give a more consistent grind ?

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Banjo link=1226880013/0#11 date=1227306819
                          *edit* Greg touched on this with the weight

just been reading a little and came across someone mentioning inconsistent grind due to "bean hop" .

Ive been using the level 1/4 cup deal but have noticed the beans start jumping around, so should we be grinding with more beans in the hopper to add weight and give a more consistent grind ?

Darren
                          Thats the way the doser models are menat to work - hopper full, continuously supplying beans. This would probably provide best grinding performance

For my low volume use, having more than a measure of beans at a time isnt feasible. But I wonder how long beans will keep in the hopper. Some have suggested 3 hours which is an extension of the rule of 3s for coffee storage.

Comment

I know this is probably dumb, but doesnt the Mazzer Mini dispense to order. Can you not dial in the required dose and hit "start"?
                            I ask because Im contamplating upgrading to a Mazzer from the old Sunbeam, which, of course, grinds, straight into the basket.

Comment

No the Mazzer Mini does not dispense to order - you grind into the doser and using the thwacker (forgot the proper name) you dispense what you need. I only grind enough for what I am going to use into the doser than when I am finished if I ground a bit to much I dump it.

Comment

Working...
                              X