3 phase and single phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 phase and single phase

hi i was wondering what is the difference between a 3 phase robur and a single phase ? from what i have come to understand it is the grind time that it takes is that correct ?

Re: 3 phase and single phase

Besides from the obvious power supply requirements (unusual to have 3 phase in a kitchen)

Single Phase has 71mm burr set.

3 phase has 83mm burr set.

There is a noticeable difference is the output from the 3 phase unit. Much quicker.

cheers

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terrym link=1227009589/0#1 date=1227072735
      There is a noticeable difference is the output from the 3 phase unit. Much quicker.
      Absolutely,

Probably double (or more) of the torque available compared to the Single Phase motor with an equivalent power rating....

Mal.

Comment

From Espressoparts in US

http://www.espressoparts.com/category/01espressomachinesgrinder.mazzerespressogrinders/

it says:-

"Mazzer Espresso Grinder grind speed times for a 20 gram dose.

Mazzer Robur 110v: 7.5 seconds
        Mazzer Robur 220v three phase: 4.5 seconds"

nuff said!

Comment

thanks for the reply guys i am thiking of buying a robur for compeition use and also as a spare grinder for the cafe .

would a 3 phase be better for compeition use ? or a single phase ?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lynxsyth link=1227009589/0#4 date=1227100457
            thanks for the reply guys i am thiking of buying a robur for compeition use and also as a spare grinder for the cafe .

thanks
            Depending on where you are likely to be competing, it might be quite difficult to locate and identify the correct 3-Phase supply to suit so Id stick with 1-Phase in this situation....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo link=1227009589/0#3 date=1227093339
              From Espressoparts in US

http://www.espressoparts.com/category/01espressomachinesgrinder.mazzerespressogrinders/

it says:-

"Mazzer Espresso Grinder grind speed times for a 20 gram dose.

Mazzer Robur 110v: 7.5 seconds
              Mazzer Robur 220v three phase: 4.5 seconds"

nuff said!

110v will be slower than a 240v single phase.
              4.5 seconds sounds about right for the 240v single phase roburs we use

Comment

hi
                the info you are using is useless outside of the USA or any country using 110v standard supply

In Australia we have 240v single phase and 415v 3 phase

so any comparisons needs to be done against other 240v single phase grinders

i would very much doubt the availability of small 3 phase 415v cafe bench top grinders

graham

Comment

Only 3 phase Mazzer Robur that I know of in Australia (well in Melbourne anyway) is on the bench at St. Ali in South Melbourne - the previous owner Mark Dundon organized it specially via Diamond C Services. I know that Mark is no longer the owner down there - but it would be interesting to get his opinion on whether the 3 phase was worth the extra expense - I know he had a Compak K10WBC on the bench right next too it and though its not as powerful as the Mazzer Robur - the grind quality of both were about on a par.

Comment

Epic have two three-phase Roburs for their blend and a single phase Robur for Decaf. I guess you could check with Corey. The three-phases were definitely quicker but I cant recall now by how much but when youve got a queue out the door and grinding on demand, seconds = dollars. Nonetheless, even a single phase Robur aint no slug!

Comment

a 3 phase motor has better balance so runs smoother and cooler, but also costs a lot more.

most industrial coffee grinders are 3 phase

Comment

Wikipedia has some good information on three phase, including this little tidbit:

The most important class of three-phase load is the electric motor. A three phase induction motor has a simple design, inherently high starting torque, and high efficiency. Such motors are applied in industry for pumps, fans, blowers, compressors, conveyor drives, and many other kinds of motor-driven equipment. A three-phase motor will be more compact and less costly than a single-phase motor of the same voltage class and rating; and single-phase AC motors above 10 HP (7.5 kW) are uncommon. Three phase motors will also vibrate less and hence last longer than single phase motor of the same power used under the same conditions.
                        Check out the Wikipedia entry for more and, especially, the diagram that shows the rotating magnetic field in a three phase motor.

Mal is on the money. You cant plug a three phase robur into a standard single phase plug. Id talk to AASCA, but any bets they will say that three phase per se will not be available at competition venues. However, you might be able to get a phase converter built for you. If you want to do that, Id still check with AASCA.

If you want to save time in competitions, the doserless roburs are faster than the dosered ones.

Only 3 phase Mazzer Robur that I know of in Australia (well in Melbourne anyway) is on the bench at St. Ali in South Melbourne - the previous owner Mark Dundon organized it specially via Diamond C Services. I know that Mark is no longer the owner down there - but it would be interesting to get his opinion on whether the 3 phase was worth the extra expense - I know he had a Compak K10WBC on the bench right next too it and though its not as powerful as the Mazzer Robur - the grind quality of both were about on a par.
                        Dont know if Mark organised it through Diamond-C, but I gather that Geno can get them in for you.

Mark has two three phase Roburs at BBB. Mark got the K10WBC in very soon after they were released in Australia and youll note that there arent any to be seen at BBB.

Mark noted that the three phase cable to take the three phase power from the wall over to the grinders was really expensive. Something to consider if youre looking at buying a three phase robur. The grinder is more expensive, then it might cost you extra to get the juice to it.

The three phase robur isnt yet available in the E configuration.

Lovely grinders, though.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

thanks for the reply guys with all the suggestions at single phase i think i may go with that as i am sure in competition a single phase robur will be fast enough

Comment

Only 3 phase Mazzer Robur that I know of in Australia (well in Melbourne anyway) is on the bench at St. Ali in South Melbourne - the previous owner Mark Dundon organized it specially via Diamond C Services. I know that Mark is no longer the owner down there - but it would be interesting to get his opinion on whether the 3 phase was worth the extra expense - I know he had a Compak K10WBC on the bench right next too it and though its not as powerful as the Mazzer Robur -  the grind quality of both were about on a par.
                            Dont know if Mark organised it through Diamond-C, Well now you do Yep and Genovese can now organize it for you.

Mark has two three phase Roburs at BBB.  Mark got the K10WBC in very soon after they were released in Australia and youll note that there arent any to be seen at BBB. So they must be no good then, thanks for the tip :

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1227009589/0#11 date=1227145865
                              If you want to save time in competitions, the doserless roburs are faster than the dosered ones.

Cheers,

Luca
                              Luca - is the doserless faster b/c it GRINDS faster, or b/c it takes a little more time to dose manually with the doser?

Comment

Working...
                              X