Rocky grinder questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky grinder questions

I have had my Rocky now for only 1 month and it is teamed up with a Silvia. After finding its zero point to be at setting 2  I started grinding beans at 10 and found the shots way too fast. Quickly dropped to 5 and still too fast. I tried varying dose and tamp to slow it up but was still struggling. I found i was grinding on 3 just 1 step above zero. This worried me so I returned the machine to place of purchased - they were a big help, pulled the grinder apart and checked it all out. All seemed OK. I am still using the standard double Rancilio basket and find now my setting to be at 4 just 2 above zero. My shots are good at this setting, good crema but still stuggling to keep the volume close to 60 ml for a 30 sec shot. Do any other Rocky owners find that they need to grind at such low settings?
    I only grind just enough beans for a double shot at any time. I have tried updosing but find the pf will not fit onto the group head on a number of occasions.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks Cicarda

Re: Rocky grinder questions

I used to have my Rocky set to similar numbers.

When you take it apart for a deep clean youll see that the marked zero point is maintained by a bent screw. I suspect that it is none too accurate.

Have you done the plumbers teflon tape modification yet? This will stop the upper burr carrier from rocking and tilting due to the slop in the threads. It probably wont help with the setting number, but it will help with grind consistency.

A search of this site will provide complete details of this modification.

Enjoy Rocky, it works well.

Greg

Comment

I have my Rocky set around 4 as well. I have found that dose level is really important with the Silvia. I usually dose so that the tamped coffee level is just above the line around the inside of the basket. The best pours are when the portafiller is a little difficult to lock in.

Comment

Gday Cicarda,

What sort of coffee are you using?

Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal
          I have tried 4 different blends and all seem very similar when grinding. All beans were purchased from local roasters who produce beans commercially for the Newcastle area. And the others from a commercial roaster in Brisbane who roasts behind the coffee outlet. I asume they r fresh. I only purchase 250g at a time. They r packed in foil bags with 1 way valves. (not sure if i can give brand names and companies in posts)

Cicarda

Comment

Hi mate. The Rocky is a great grinder. Dont worry too much about where it is at, because for espresso it does have to be screwed down pretty tightly. I would remove the screw and you will hear, without beans in, if you get down too low because the flat faces of the burr plates will touch (but the burrs themselves dont so dont worry too much) and that will tell you your true zero point.

My Rocky served up grinds well to the EM6910 and also to the commercial FAEMA, so it can and does get good results from a variety of machines, right up to cafe level (but of course is too slow for a busy cafe). Its true that from there to Mazzer etc is a step up, but so too is the price. And the Rocky, particularly modded is a great piece of kit, especially when then stepless and is built like a tank.
            You can do the tape and or tube trick but really I think that your coffee is likely to be the problem. You cannot beat home roasting for crema quantity - I would change to that, or alternatively look around for other roasters, or buy from Andy online under Brown Beans for sale on the top left.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 1832383A293F3A5B0 link=1232877312/4#4 date=1232935527
              Hi Mal
              I have tried 4 different blends and all seem very similar when grinding. All beans were purchased from local roasters who produce beans commercially for the Newcastle area. And the others from a commercial roaster in Brisbane who roasts behind the coffee outlet. I asume they r fresh. I only purchase 250g at a time. They r packed in foil bags with 1 way valves. (not sure if i can give brand names and companies in posts)
              Oz has got it covered pretty well so no need for me to ramble on.... Ill also support what Oz says about trying some guaranteed high quality, freshly roasted beans either from Andy or one of our sponsors. At least then you will know 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal and Oz
                Happy to take the advice. Will try some fresh roasted beans from  Andy or another sponsor. I am enjoying the ride of searching for that perfect cup of coffee. Small steps at a time. I know it will be worth it.
                I will let u know how things pan out.
                Thanks Cicarda  

Comment

I get good pours around 4-7 (differentiates based on beans). Are you tamping and getting a good distribution? If I bugger this up then my pours are a little too fast.

Comment

Wisie
                    I agree tamp and distribution seem very important. At present I am grinding 2 full scoops of beans and I have found if u remove the base from a lite sour cream container (plastic) it can be wedged into the top of the basket. I then wedge this under the spout of rocky and then I grind all my beans and push out the last using the click clak lid. I then use a Wiess distribution method (using a straightened paperclip stickytaped to a skewer) to breakup any clumps and evenly distribute the grinds in the basket. I give it 2 gentle taps on the tamp mat, remove the sour cream container, level out the coffee, do my usual tamp, clean the pf surrounds and lock in. Double basket is full and i manage to only have a small wastage of grinds. Sounds a bit complex but it is really quite simple.

My shots now are pouring very evenly from both sides and total volume is much closer to that 60ml and they r tasting better all the time. All seems to be coming together now however i am still at setting 4 with a zero point of 2. But I can live with that.

My next change will be to up the grind settings and see if there is a significant change and then i will try some fresh beans. When u only make 2 double shots max a day the learning process takes a little while.
                    Thanks Cicarda

Comment

Beans, beans, beans.

Its just like Hi-Fi, if the source is degraded, then the end result is limited.

Fresh beans will grind differently from stale (>3 weeks from date of roasting), and each batch/type will grind differently as well, and the grind will change as the beans age within that 3 week envelope.

There is no such thing as getting Rocky set, and being able to leave it set.

The main thing is to enjoy the coffee!

Greg

Comment

Fresh beans here I come. Thanks for the advice GW and others ;D
                        Cicarda

Comment

Gee it pays to read. I have been struggling to get a good shot from my silvia and rocky combo. After reading all the above comments i am now confident i can get a good shot away. No pun intended.

Thanks to everybody for your dedication to helping us who are novices but want a good cup.

cheers,

Comment

Working...
                          X