Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob grinder questions

Hello everyone,
    Ive got a question regarding the purchase of my first grinder.Ive read many times on here  that you should always buy the best grinder you can afford,but do you feel it is still necessary to spend big bucks on a grinder that will not be used to make espresso?Like would a $1000 grinder be overkill for someone who only uses a plunger?
    Im getting an Aeropress as an anniversary present next week and Id like to get  a grinder around the same time so I dont have to use pre-ground at all.We are also expecting our first child this week and I just cant see the missus agreeing to the purchase of a $500+ grinder right now.
    Ive never really been into drinking espresso shots and much prefer long blacks,lattes and iced coffees etc.So this would be a dedicated Aeropress grinder at least for the next few years.And to be honest our kitchen is soooo small that Id never be able to fit an espresso machine and grinder on the bench.
    Do you guys think something like the Iberital Challenge,Nemox Lux or Sunbeam would be a good match with the Aeropress?Ive read that the Aeropress needs a grind slightly coarser than espresso,so Im kinda hoping that one of these will be up to the task.If not,what would you recommend?
    Thanks.
    Jamie

Re: Noob grinder questions

Originally posted by 3F34383C30373A26363A550 link=1233371071/0#0 date=1233371071
    Hello everyone,
    Ive got a question regarding the purchase of my first grinder.Ive read many times on here  that you should always buy the best grinder you can afford,but do you feel it is still necessary to spend big bucks on a grinder that will not be used to make espresso?Like would a $1000 grinder be overkill for someone who only uses a plunger?
    Im getting an Aeropress as an anniversary present next week and Id like to get  a grinder around the same time so I dont have to use pre-ground at all.We are also expecting our first child this week and I just cant see the missus agreeing to the purchase of a $500+ grinder right now.
    Ive never really been into drinking espresso shots and much prefer long blacks,lattes and iced coffees etc.So this would be a dedicated Aeropress grinder at least for the next few years.And to be honest our kitchen is soooo small that Id never be able to fit an espresso machine and grinder on the bench.
    Do you guys think something like the Iberital Challenge,Nemox Lux or Sunbeam would be a good match with the Aeropress?Ive read that the Aeropress needs a grind slightly coarser than espresso,so Im kinda hoping that one of these will be up to the task.If not,what would you recommend?
    Thanks.
    Jamie
    I would suggest that for many reasons any of the  units you listed would be suitable for your style of coffee preparation and indicated use...

Considering many issues at the moment and the changes to your personal life (Congrats to the misses - I gather you had something to do with it...)  Even the EM0480 or 0450 at the bottom end of the $$ range and specs, should suit you at this time...  

Other Areo press users should be able to comment.

PS. Welcome to CS... It was great to see that you have done some research and gained some understanding, prior to posting... Makes it easer to provide comment.

Comment

If you enjoy lattes, longs blacks and such, get something which will work with a machine, that way further down the track if you get one, you wont need to get another grinder

how big an espresso machine, something like a Gaggia classic or Silvia dont take up much space at all, unless you have a shoebox for a kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by 18373E3C2B143837383E3C343C372D590 link=1233371071/1#1 date=1233371491
        I would suggest that for many reasons any of the  units you listed would be suitable for your style of coffee preparation and indicated use...

Considering many issues at the moment and the changes to your personal life (Congrats to the misses - I gather you had something to do with it...)  Even the EM0480 or 0450 at the bottom end of the $$ range and specs, should suit you at this time...  

Other Areo press users should be able to comment.

PS. Welcome to CS... It was great to see that you have done some research and gained some understanding, prior to posting... Makes it easer to provide comment.
        Thanks.I see you live in north Brisbane,I live in Strathpine.
        Im hoping that an Aeropress ($50) and one of the grinders mentioned for around $300,and some freshly roasted beans should get me some decent coffee for not too much $$$$. Its a start anyway.
        I have to admit that I really like the thought of a coffee maker that can be put away in a draw after use and have read some positive things about the quality of coffee that an Aeropress can produce.
        Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by 2E362C312D2A273C31375E0 link=1233371071/2#2 date=1233373196
          If you enjoy lattes, longs blacks and such, get something which will work with a machine, that way further down the track if you get one, you wont need to get another grinder

how big an espresso machine, something like a Gaggia classic or Silvia dont take up much space at all, unless you have a shoebox for a kitchen
          Trust me when I say that a shoebox doesnt come close to describing this kitchen!!The guy who just  fitted our new bench-tops said in that in all his years of doing this job hed never seen a smaller kichen in a house.Ive lived in several units/townhouses over the years and all had bigger kitchens than this place.
          Do you feel none of the grinders mentioned would in work well with an espresso machine?With MUCH begging a rocky could be on the cards,but definitely not for the next  few months.

Comment

Originally posted by 545F53575B5C514D5D513E0 link=1233371071/4#4 date=1233374087
            Originally posted by 2E362C312D2A273C31375E0 link=1233371071/2#2 date=1233373196

Trust me when I say that a shoebox doesnt come close to describing this kitchen!!The guy who just  fitted our new bench-tops said in that in all his years of doing this job hed never seen a smaller kichen in a house.Ive lived in several units/townhouses over the years and all had bigger kitchens than this place.
            Do you feel none of the grinders mentioned would in work well with an espresso machine?With MUCH begging a rocky could be on the cards,but definitely not for the next  few months.

Unless you go to an adjustable hand grinder... You will never put any of the grinders in a shoe box.

Visit the sponsors sites <<< Sponsors are over that way <<<< and check out the physical sizes of the three you previously identified... Size yet may be the final factor....

PS. At least you dont live in a shoe box an the side of a road... Opps.. that will be for the oldies only... They will know where that came from..

Comment

Originally posted by 5A515D5955525F43535F300 link=1233371071/4#4 date=1233374087
              Do you feel none of the grinders mentioned would in work well with an espresso machine?With MUCH begging a rocky could be on the cards,but definitely not for the nextfew months.
              Ive been using a Sunbeam 0480 with a Silvia for 2 years and its fine. Yes, I will upgrade it at some point in the (hopefully near) future, but for less than $200 it works very well and I can still get pretty good coffee out of my machine with it. I also use it with an Aeropress, and as a budget combination, I think that it would be pretty good.The Lux and the Challenge are a bit more expensive than the Sunbeams (certainly more than the 0450), but if you have the budget it might be worth getting a more expensive grinder (the quality probably is a little better and just cause you can  ). Nevertheless, in my opinion the Aeropress and the Sunbeam can work very well together.

Comment

Originally posted by 505B515F493A0 link=1233371071/6#6 date=1233380422
                Originally posted by 5A515D5955525F43535F300 link=1233371071/4#4 date=1233374087
                Do you feel none of the grinders mentioned would in work well with an espresso machine?With MUCH begging a rocky could be on the cards,but definitely not for the nextfew months.
                Ive been using a Sunbeam 0480 with a Silvia for 2 years and its fine. Yes, I will upgrade it at some point in the (hopefully near) future, but for less than $200 it works very well and I can still get pretty good coffee out of my machine with it. I also use it with an Aeropress, and as a budget combination, I think that it would be pretty good.The Lux and the Challenge are a bit more expensive than the Sunbeams (certainly more than the 0450), but if you have the budget it might be worth getting a more expensive grinder (the quality probably is a little better and just cause you can  ). Nevertheless, in my opinion the Aeropress and the Sunbeam can work very well together.
                Thanks very much for the reply.I was thinking that either the Lux or the Challenge,being stepless, may be a better choice for when I eventually move to a place with a bigger kitchen and can get a espresso machine.But budgetwise the sunbeam may be the better choice now.

Comment

Originally posted by 404B47434F48455949452A0 link=1233371071/3#3 date=1233373423
                  Im hoping that an Aeropress ($50) and one of the grinders mentioned for around $300,and some freshly roasted beans should get me some decent coffee for not too much $$$$.  
                  I have a very nice espresso machine but my wife prefers that I make her long blacks using the Aeropress.
                  So I dont think youll be complaining about the coffee from one.

For my own convenience I use the same grind setting as that for my machine.
                  I am fairly strong though and have no problem pressing the Aeropress plunger.

Before anyone says so, I know the grind size can also affect the taste, but while she likes it as is Im not changing.  :P

P.S.
                  I also have a Sunbeam 0450 which we took with us on a recent holiday. It and the Aeropress take up very little space.

Comment

Welcome Jamie.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Lots of good advice already but if there is a chance that you might graduate to a decent espresso machine one day, then the Iberital Challenge will serve you very well and that is the one I would recommend. It can be a pain to adjust from espresso to say, plunger for example but there are ways around that too.

All in all, within the budget and machinery list youve identified, the Iberital is probably the stand-out grinder. There are others within a similar price/performance ballpark though and it might be worth your while to contact a couple of Site Sponsors close to your locality, to see if you can demo the various models that fit within that bracket. It may save you a lot of potential for anxiety later on and theres nothing like a hands-on trial to help you make a choice....

All the best,
                    Mal.

Comment

My son uses an Aeropres and the Sunbeam 0480 and they work just fine together.
                      I took my Aeropress and Rocky on holidays a few months back and enjoyed great coffee.
                      Rocky is a bit smaller than the 0480 and a fair bit quieter.
                      As for grind, I use just coarser than for espresso. (1 stop on Rocky) My son was using a coarser grind but I advised him to grind finer and he is enjoying better coffee now.
                      Aeropress and the 0480 would be about the cheapest combo for great coffee.

Cheers,
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by 132F3229232235202823470 link=1233371071/8#8 date=1233387820
                        Originally posted by 404B47434F48455949452A0 link=1233371071/3#3 date=1233373423
                        Im hoping that an Aeropress ($50) and one of the grinders mentioned for around $300,and some freshly roasted beans should get me some decent coffee for not too much $$$$.  
                        I have a very nice espresso machine but my wife prefers that I make her long blacks using the Aeropress.
                        So I dont think youll be complaining about the coffee from one.

For my own convenience I use the same grind setting as that for my machine.
                        I am fairly strong though and have no problem pressing the Aeropress plunger.

Before anyone says so, I know the grind size can also affect the taste, but while she likes it as is Im not changing.  :P

P.S.
                        I also have a Sunbeam 0450 which we took with us on a recent holiday. It and the Aeropress take up very little space.
                        Ive heard that the aeropress makes a nice long black,Im really looking forward to my first!As for the grind setting,I thought the idea was the finer the grind the gentler/longer you push.
                        Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by 416C686469050 link=1233371071/9#9 date=1233392031
                          Welcome Jamie.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Lots of good advice already but if there is a chance that you might graduate to a decent espresso machine one day, then the Iberital Challenge will serve you very well and that is the one I would recommend. It can be a pain to adjust from espresso to say, plunger for example but there are ways around that too.

All in all, within the budget and machinery list youve identified, the Iberital is probably the stand-out grinder. There are others within a similar price/performance ballpark though and it might be worth your while to contact a couple of Site Sponsors close to your locality, to see if you can demo the various models that fit within that bracket. It may save you a lot of potential for anxiety later on and theres nothing like a hands-on trial to help you make a choice....

All the best,
                          Mal.
                          Thanks for the post Mal,While it looks like an espresso machine will most likely be a long way down the track,itd be nice to know that if a bargain ever showed up,which ever grinder I buy could do the job.
                          I also should have added the Ascaso i-mini to my list,I like the look of this grinder and its small size would also be a bonus.I was actually suprised today to see how small the Rockys are,one of my local coffee shops use one as their decaf grinder.For some reason I had it in my head that they would be quite large.
                          Ill give some of the site sponsorsa call next week,depending on the baby situation!

Comment

Hello again everyone,I just thought Id give an update.
                            I ended up stretching the budget a little and got an Ascaso I-1,along with the Aeropress.Ive had the setup a couple of months now and am really loving the coffee.Even the missus cant believe how good the coffee has been.Weve been to a couple of well known coffee shops lately and both agree the aero/ascaso combo isnt too far off taste wise.
                            Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Comment

Excellent "jb"

Thats what its all about..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X