My final grinder!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My final grinder!!

Ive sold my Rocky and searching for a grinder to see me through to old age and hand down to the kids.
    Ive done so much research my head is spinning.
    I was keen on Mazzer SJ but it sounds like its a bit hard to keep clean?
    The Compak K6, Macap MX sounds really robust with large burrs and good reputations.
    The Macap M4D sounds impressive in that it can be set to regulate dose and grind time and has super fine adjustments.
    The K3WBC coming onto the market sounds interesting!
    Any feedback from owners of the above machines or others you think may suit my needs would be welcomed.

Re: My final grinder!!

I have an M4D and dont see myself upgrading anytime.

Ive been wrong before.

Greg
    ps-In my tests the M4D ground as well as, albeit slower, than a Jolly.

Comment

Originally posted by 05302725152D302F232E26420 link=1235257647/1#1 date=1235262801
      I have an M4D and dont see myself upgrading anytime.

Ive been wrong before.

Greg
      ps-In my tests the M4D ground as well as, albeit slower, than a Jolly.
      And the fact that the M4D is so easy to use, it grinds well & its well built goes a long way to its attraction as a great grinder.

KK

Comment

Greenman,

If you decide on M4D and can hold off until mid March Ill be selling mine. Its 2 months old - not sure about warranty transfer - maybe Chris can chime in.

My experience with the M4D has been mixed. Grind adjustment is superb, dose control is a breeze with the timer. Where Ive run into problems is distribution. The grinds dont come out as "fluffy" as from (for example) a mini. My dosage always ends up with the grinds below the rim of the pf and makes distribution a PITA.

Maybe my kitchen is humid - I dont know. A lot of people are incredibly happy with these, I just happen to think that this grinder is not right for my location/me.

Grant

Grant

Comment

Hey greeman man,

Just from another view that you should take at a grain of salt.

From the few times Ive used the M4D, one whole day behind a machine, plus a few times playing; I would never get one. It has clumped everytime I have used it. A whole days worth of humidity shifts and different coffees. Im not gonna get out a toothpick or pin and break up the HEAP of clumps that it produced in a little cup. I have never used a grinder that clumps so much. I dont know if this is a characteristic of doserless grinders in general, but after using the M4D Id never pay the money for one. Even if it were half the price Id think twice. There are features on it that a cool, the timed dose for one. But renders it useless when its dosing into the PF with balls of clumped coffee rolling off the edge. That was my experience anyway.

Obviously there are plenty of owners of this grinder that are very satisfied and have either not experienced the deficiencies I had or have learnt methods to deal with them.

I use my SJ most days of the week for the past 18 months. Its a good home grinder. It clumps, yeah, most do, but not as much as the M4D I used. The SJ has a doser to break those. It probably wont be my final grinder. There are probably other things to consider other than clumping. Clumps arent the end of the world.

Try them all. Thats my advice. I reckon rather than resting a purchase of a grinder on other peoples reviews, that, lets face it, are more often than not, biast - go and play with them.

(Sorry if it sounds like Im M4D bashing here, I just havent had a good experience of them, although they do have many positives that are mentioned in other threads... hence the grain of salt cover )

Comment

searching for a grinder to see me through to old age and hand down to the kids
            For grind quality it looks like the commercial conicals are the go, maybe a Kony for home use.
            I couldnt afford one, so I refurbed a ex commercial SJ, with its powerful motor able to spin the aggressive cut 64 mil plates, solid heavy build for stability on the bench(grinder doesnt want to move with motor torque), spring loaded adjustment collar eliminating thread slop for consistent grinds.  It gives a more consistent grind than Rocky, a cleaner taste
            [edit]plus better crema.[/edit] Fix up required new plates, bearings, respray and a short hopper.
            Doser is very sturdy I cant see it wearing out, but does require mods for domestic use, I havent gotten around to that yet but even then I will need to brush out the chute with each use.
            Overall I am happy with it and it will do until a Kony comes my way.
            Hope all this helps.

Comment

Im happy with my Macap M5 doser model.
              But like vicroamer says, try some out.

Comment

greenman.

As others have alluded to above....

Whatever you choose - get the doser version.... or a grinder with a doser....

Maybe marginally less messy..... very handy when you have a lot of coffees to make..... it is easy to "grind on demand" through the doser.... and

DOSERS BREAK UP CLUMPS!!!!

Comment

Greenman
                  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mazzer SJ
                  If I did not have the M4D I would probably choose a Mazzer

If price is no object go with a conical burr set
                  I think the Macap MX K conical model is competitively priced ? but you will need to check

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 60444D4D4E4E7460445846442B0 link=1235257647/8#8 date=1235273780
                    Greenman
                    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mazzer SJ
                    If I did not have the M4D I would probably choose a Mazzer

If price is no object go with a conical burr set
                    I think the Macap MX K conical model is competitively priced ? but you will need to check

KK
                    Yeppers KK,

the MXK is terrific like the others and the numbers are better as well...Perhaps not quite as sexy though.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 504F455449474B4354260 link=1235257647/5#5 date=1235267971
                      searching for a grinder to see me through to old age and hand down to the kids
                      For grind quality it looks like the commercial conicals are the go, maybe a Kony for home use.
                      I currently have an old Kony on my bench and I have to say that I dont believe that it really is in the same league as the Robur. It is quite slow and it doesnt seem to offer that same easy-to-nail, rich, full pour that the Robur does. In fact, I think that the super jolly that I had before it usually produced marginally better shots. This may not be true of the new Kony, which has an auger/blade thingy on top of the burrs to feed coffee into it - if nothing else, I expect that it would increase grind speed.

If you want the best grind quality, I think that you have to go for something like a K10 or a Robur. Whilst the K10 may be a bit cheaper, the professional baristi who I have talked to have noted that it seems to hold a lot of coffee in the exit chute and it doesnt seem to be all that well put together. In fact, I know one barista who abandoned trying to use the K10 at competitions because he felt that it couldnt produce a repeatable dose with the timer that he wanted to use because of the large exit chute from the burrs. Funnily enough, I went to Maling Room yesterday and Andrews grinder upgrade saga parallels my own. He has had minis, super jollys, majors, a swift and a few K10s, but has finally gone all robur, including an old robur for decaf! So if what you are looking for is absolutely and totally the best of the best and price and size are no object - which they always are - theres a compelling argument to take a look at a Robur Electronic, IMHO. Particularly if you have a small business that you can buy it through to get the 10% back from the government!

Originally posted by 6C47504764260 link=1235257647/7#7 date=1235272846
                      Whatever you choose - get the doser version.... or a grinder with a doser....

Maybe marginally less messy..... very handy when you have a lot of coffees to make..... it is easy to "grind on demand" through the doser.... and

This is wrong, wrong, wrong as a generalisation. The MAZZER doserless grinders have very little clumping because they have a specially designed - and, IIRC, patented - screen over the exit chute that breaks up the clumps. Mazzer must have spent years experimenting on getting their doserless grinders right and I dont think that its really fair to include them in some generalisation that seems to have been prompted by the deficiencies of the newest and - apparently - coolest kid on the block, the M4D. The Mazzer Mini-E might be expensive and it might not have super accurate digital timers, but it does a pretty good job with respect to clumps, it holds the portafilter and it is by far the cleanest domestic grinder that I have used. Of course, it is lovely that the M4D has what appears to be a better timer; this creates a competitive market in which consumers are usually able to do better.

Regards,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by 455C4A48290 link=1235257647/10#10 date=1235276317

This is wrong, wrong, wrong as a generalisation.
                        Luca,

There is no disputing (well in my mind at least) that dosers do break up any clumping---- but it may not always be present.

I havent used a doserless MAZZER so cant comment on those grinders.... but I havent been that impressed by any other doserless Ive tried.... there are generally clumps.... and dosers DO break these up.....

I guess the best method when purchasing a new grinder is to try the grinder and see if it meets your requirements..... but as greenman is located here in WA (as I am).... the chance to try out grinders just doesnt exist..... We have to rely on buying on spec from site sponsors over East...... so with a significant purchase like a grinder.... Id view the extra cost in purchasing a doser model as cheap insurance.... If the chosen grinder does produce clumps - they wont be dumped into the basket.

.....and just like insurance, it might not really be needed...... but comes in very handy if it is!!!

Comment

Wow, Im overwhelmed with the response to my post, thank you for all the input and keep it coming.
                          The reason I posted now is that I will be in Melbourne from March 6-9 and plan to check out some grinders and probably purchase while there.
                          Thats the joy of being a CS member, ask for help or info and it is forthcoming
                          cheers
                          gm

Comment

Originally posted by 466D7A6D4E0C0 link=1235257647/11#11 date=1235277943
                            There is no disputing (well in my mind at least) that dosers do break up any clumping---- but it may not always be present.

I havent used a doserless MAZZER so cant comment on those grinders.... but I havent been that impressed by any other doserless Ive tried.... there are generally clumps.... and dosers DO break these up.....
                            Sure. That much makes sense to me.

Id view the extra cost in purchasing a doser model as cheap insurance.... If the chosen grinder does produce clumps - they wont be dumped into the basket.

.....and just like insurance, it might not really be needed...... but comes in very handy if it is!!!
                            OK, this bit I kind of cant follow. The first problem is that we are now talking about clumps, we are not talking about the quality of whats in the cup. Surely the aim of purchasing a grinder is to get a high quality result in the cup, not to get ground coffee with a minimum of clumps. So the relevance of clumps depends on a connection between clumps and poor quality shots. To my mind, thats not necessarily a foregone conclusion. Recall that James Hoffman won the 2007 WBC with a Mahlkoenig K30 grinder, which produces a spectacular amount of clumps. The second problem is that just as doserless grinders can produce unwanted results, so, too, can dosered grinders. For example, the Rocky doser is legendary for not actually sweeping out clean. So it strikes me that generalisations about dosers and doserless grinders arent necessarily helpful. Its much more helpful to identify the candidate grinders and then work out what their particular plusses and minuses are.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by 342D3B39580 link=1235257647/13#13 date=1235280130
                              The first problem is that we are now talking about clumps, we are not talking about the quality of whats in the cup.Surely the aim of purchasing a grinder is to get a high quality result in the cup, not to get ground coffee with a minimum of clumps.
                              Agreed.....

The problem is that it is hard to establish that without testing in person (comments from others on the internet are often.... "interesting" but frequently also "coloured"... : )

But as greenman is going to Melbourne.... Im sure Chris or some other site sponsor will do the right thing and let him have a play.....

That way he can decide on what he finds produces the best "in the cup" results -with his technique for distribution and tamping etc - which is how it should be

Comment

Working...
                              X