Beating EM0480 static!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating EM0480 static!

As is well documented here, the Sunbeam EM0480 tends to suffer from static. Its even worse if you dispense into the plastic container that comes with it - try to tip your ground coffee out and it sprays everywhere! Alternatively, trying to dispense directly into the PF leads to grinds everywhere.

This idea is not new (and Ive seen others talk about it), but I thought Ive give some pictures of what I now do and am very happy with it. I went to Big-W and in the bathroom section you can buy a nice tall Stainless Steel container (near the liquid soap dispensers) that costs $6. I stuck it in the vice to carefully create a more oval top to make pouring easier. You can tidy the subsequent result up using a pair of wide pliers and a cloth to protect the SS finish.

Now I grind into the container (I count 8 seconds for 16g of coffee), bang just below the hopper a few times with the back of my tamper to dislodge the last few grinds in the shute), then disense from the container into my PF which is sitting on the drainer part of my sink. With a gentle tapping on the sides of the container you have complete control. I can honestly say, Ive not wiped around my grinder in over a week, and theres not a grind to be seen.

Those with keen eyes will note the Dustbuster right next to the grinder. This was indeed a fortuitous location before I went to my container method!!

Re: Beating EM0480 static!

Hey Tassiebean,

Contact SB and they will send you a silicon extension elbowed "snout" that sleeves over the too short spout.

Mine should be in the letterbox today (took 2 calls a week apart to get it....) but others around here have them and reckon they are the go for straight to portafilter use.

Ill let you know what it is like when/if it arrives as Im over the mess too!!!!

Chris

Comment

Funny about the two calls. They promised theyd send it to me exactly two weeks ago and Im still waiting. I presume it is sent really off-peak postage (like my wine ).

Anyway, be interesting to compare methods- now I have zero mess, Im not particularly keen to go to even a low-mess process.

Comment

I think you need to call again mate.

First time I spoke to a guy, nothing turned up. Yesterday spoke to a lady who then put me on hold, went and got one and got an envelope before asking my address...

Pretty confident one will now turn up.

Chris

...low mess is better than what is happening now...

Comment

The silicon spouts do tidy things up markedly but it doesnt eliminate the overspray.

Comment

Before getting the snout and using it, I used to take the grinder fork off so that you can change drop height between the grinder spout and the portafilter. The funny thing too with this setup is that I have at times had better shots out of the sunbeam em6910 and the em0480 than Ive had with a LM and robur combo. The barista in both cases was me. Hows that for a wtf moment

Comment

hey thanks Tassie bean, will try big W tomorrow (and give SB a call...or two...on monday)

Comment

Well I grind into a duralex glass that fits exactilly on top of the PF. I fill the glass till the coffee is up to the top of the arch patern after a tap or 2 on the grinder base. Once the glass has the coffee in it I place the PF on top and invert the whole lot with a tap on the grinder base to make sure all the grinds are removed. This causes little or no mess from the grinder cause I hold the glass up to the spout.
                I also have the ectention on the grinder.
                It works for me
                Regards
                Crisp Image

Comment

My extension arrived today. Despite this having been talked about many times before, I couldnt actually find a photo on this website, so Ive posted two below so others can see.

Everyone has their own ways of overcoming the static/overspray problem. Various threads talk about:
                  1) grinding into a separate container and transferring to PF
                  1a) having said container exactly match the PF opening to make the transfer easier (thanks, Crisp Image)
                  2) putting a plastic shield around the whole bottom part of the grinder dispensing area (usually a cut off 2L juice container) to catch the grinds
                  3) Attaching a "funnel" (usually a cut-down Yoghurt container) to the PF.
                  4) Putting the grinder onto a black plastic tray, so the spilt grinds are not so visible! Reminds me of the seven dwarves sweeping the dust under the rug ;D
                  5) Getting a spout extension/elbow, with/without other ideas listed above

As for me, Im thinking I could get good at directly dispensing into the PF now Ive got the elbow, but you do get some spillage. I think the trick is to make sure it only spills onto the grey silicon mat under the grinder, then tap this mat into the sink when youve finished. Or...... I might just stick with my SS container!

Comment

Hey tassibean

Mine turned up yesterday too. Used it this morning for the first time. As senator and you both say, it cleans things up big time but doesnt eliminate it completely.

The difference is still pretty huge and now grinding straight into the pf is as it should be.

And on a funny note, you know I said I rang twice, a week apart, two turned up in separate packages on the same day.....

Checking with a mate of mine if he needs one and if not Ill offer it to cyn7180 if shes interested.

All in all, a HUGE improvement.

Chris

Comment

Okay - checked with my mate and he has an Iberital.

So........one EM0480 snout going free to a good home peoples.....

Chris

Comment

I know what it looks like...........it would go well with that coffee bean picture I saw a while ago.

Is that a dust buster, I thought it was some kind of trendy parmassan cheese grinder.

Ps Ill have the spout if you dont want it?

Comment

sure - PM me

Chris

Comment

Hi all
                            I emailed Sunbeam last Friday about a snout for my EM0480 grinder,got a re ply from "Poppy" at Sunbeam Monday and said one would be posted out that night. Arrived today. Good service I reckon

Robert

Comment

I wouldnt mind one of these snout doohickies......which email address should we use to get in touch with Poppy? Ive heard so much about her......

Comment

Working...
                              X