Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying Isomac Professionale

Hi all,

Having obtained my unpressurised filter and a proper tamper, Im now attempting to modifying my Isomac Professionale to get a finer grind.

I understand that the trick is to remove a safety pin that is stopping the grind adjustment from getting any finer, but I am having trouble accessing this.

I cant seem to find a way to remove the hooper (not sure of the exact terminalogy, but its the container for beans). I cannot find any screws other than a hexagonal one in the centre underneath the finger guard. However, the finger guard is not held in place by screws, it appears the plastic is moulded directly into the hooper.

I hope I dont have to break the finger guard to access this, but am willing to if required. Does the finger guard serve any function other than protect humans, and is it a good idea to take it off by breaking the plastic?

Is there another way of accessing the grinder adjustment bit? Ive also just realised that I cannot access the actual burrs if I wanted to for cleaning/maintenance...

Hopefully my description has been comprehensible... I will post some pictures later tonight.

Re: modifying Isomac Professionale

Hi John,

I have a Gran Macinino, which I understand is very similar to the Professionale. The "finger guard" of my grinder is held by screws and taking the hopper off turned out to be very easy. Removing the pin allowed me to get a finer grind.

Renzo (from Di Bartoli) showed me how to do this. Maybe you can drop him a line.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi John and hello Dang;

Originally posted by 54515E41300 link=1239077327/1#1 date=1239078480
      I have a Gran Macinino, which I understand is very similar to the Professionale. The "finger guard" of my grinder is held by screws and taking the hopper off turned out to be very easy. Removing the pin allowed me to get a finer grind.
      That all what you need to do John

Any question you can always give us a call the direct line is 02 9389 9892

Best regards

Renzo
      Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

I cant seem to find any screws to remove the finger guard. Where the finger guard joins the body of the hopper, there are holes for screws but no screws, instead, a couple of the joints seem to be moulded onto the plastic.

Here are some pics:
        http://members.iinet.net.au/~mcchan/grinder1.jpg
        http://members.iinet.net.au/~mcchan/grinder2.jpg
        http://members.iinet.net.au/~mcchan/grinder3.jpg

Perhaps the design of the Professionale is different to the Gran Macinino.

Comment

You are right. The designs are different. In my Gran Macinino, there are screws in the holes. These fix the hopper to the lower part, which is moved to set the grind level. This moving part is metal, and not black plastic as in the Professionale. Nothing is moulded.

Comment

after another closer look, ive figured it out! you can actually just lift the plastic hopper out of the body in this model, no screws required.

now all i need is a small enough allen key...

Comment

So, how did you go, John?

Comment

i still havent been able to find a small allen key... do you know what size yours was?

might make a trip to a hardware store on the weekend as i am curious to know whether a finer grind will produce a better shot!

Comment

Sorry John,

Dont recall the size.

Just used one of a simple and inexpensive set which was lying around.

Good luck

Daniel

Comment

just an update to properly finish off the thread

so i bought an allens key set (how did i ever manage without one?) and went about taking off the pin in my isomac.

emptied out the hopper and any beans in the grinder, then turned the grind setting to one click past the old limit. tested out the movement of the burrs, and it sounded fine, so i adjusted another click.

this is when i started hearing the high pitched "chirping" noise, indicating the burrs are touching and that is my zero point.

so it turns out that the pin was set pretty close to the limit of what the grinder can do, just one click before the burrs touched each other.

im still in the process of experimenting with the grind to find the right setting for my breville 800es with unpressurised basket. but from using the finest setting, the grind is noticeably fluffier and my shots more flavoursome, still nowhere near the elusive god shot though

Comment

Working...
                    X