Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyocera hand grinder

Hi Coffee Snobbers,
    There is a ceramic hand operated grinder available you can check it out here: commercial link removed
    I think it would cost about $120 including postage to Australia with the current exchange rate.
    The info text says it will grind to Turkish powder fine.
    You guys with a bit more experience, do you think it would be OK for some or all forms of coffee making? It isnt big and shiny, but will it cut the mustard, I mean grind the beans OK?

Chris.

Re: Kyocera hand grinder

Looks like a good item and based on what second hand Zassenhaus grinders are bringing not that expensive. Still yet to see a hand grinder that will grind consistently enough for good espresso as you tend to get a range of particle sizes.

Just consider 200 turns/14g = 2 minutes/double or there abouts that will vary a lot depending on how fine or course you are doing :

Go on be the Guinea pig you know we want you to do it ;D

Comment

Thanks Beanflying, so it would probably be a step up from my $20 Aldi electric bean chomper but still a question mark about consistent grind size.

Mmmmm... I was thinking that you would need fairly good aerobic fitness to get the coffee made in a timely manner  

I was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig because Im currently trying to get permission to buy a pushbike. I don’t think its good to ask for more than one thing at a time  ;D

Chris.

Comment

I played with one of these in Tokyo earlier this year. It was being sold to grind up powder for green tea.... its made in China from memory. $120 is too much for it IMHO. I wouldnt part more than $40 for one.

Comment

Originally posted by 544848574C2D0 link=1240128494/3#3 date=1240140567
          I played with one of these in Tokyo earlier this year. It was being sold to grind up powder for green tea.... its made in China from memory. $120 is too much for it IMHO. I wouldnt part more than $40 for one.
          Thanks Dan,
          That doesnt sound so good... It does look like just a high quality pepper grinder.
          But still, the guys from the orphan expresso website Commercial Link Removed  seem to care and they take time to write up little reports on things like the coffee machines they have repaired and tested.
          They write a glowing report about the Kyocera grinder and say that it grinds to Turkish powder fine which means finer than you need for normal expresso.
          I still think that someone should be the guinea pig so we all know for sure.  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 7853495248764E5C3B0 link=1240128494/4#4 date=1240187205
            I still think that someone should be the guinea pig so we all know for sure.
            It wont be me I already own two hand grinders and 3 electric ones 8-)

Comment

Hi Chris

It might be me.

I bought a Turkish grinder from Orphanespresso and it was rubbish so have sent it back (they happily accepted the return) and have asked them for a good price on the plastic/ceramic Kyocera.

If/when it arrives Ill do a review on it and compare to my existing hand grinder which is a gem but getting tired as my Dad bought it in 1956 in Munich!

The exchange rate though, does make it an expensive bit of plastic

BTW I think the Kyocera tea grinder is different to the coffee one.

If its anything like thier mobile phones they wont be too bad!

Cheers
              Simon

Comment

Originally posted by 7D7A7E717973667671781F0 link=1240128494/5#5 date=1240202866
                It wont be me I already own two hand grinders and 3 electric onesCool
                You have shown such good commitment that of course you deserve to have another one  ;D

Originally posted by 6C76727071727A737D1F0 link=1240128494/6#6 date=1240368877
                It might be me.

I bought a Turkish grinder from Orphanespresso and it was rubbish so have sent it back (they happily accepted the return) and have asked them for a good price on the plastic/ceramic Kyocera.

If/when it arrives Ill do a review on it and compare to my existing hand grinder which is a gem but getting tired as my Dad bought it in 1956 in Munich!
                Ahh yesss  
                Simon, you deserve some PNG Gouno Highlands that we are really enjoying atm. Please come in to the shop soon and grab some!

Chris.

Comment

I have blown this months budget on Syphon #10 : and some overpriced Hario gear from Canada 8-) So I think the job is Simons.

Look forward to the results.

Comment

Id try out the Kyocera but it doesnt make any sense to import it from the US. Surely you can source an importer of Japanese goods here. We import tons of other stuff from Japan, or if not even look at Japanese sites and try find one that ships to Aussie.

Comment

I had a bit of a look around last and it seems that we do knifes and papper grinders from them and not the coffee grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 6652414E4B67414C4C4147484552200 link=1240128494/9#9 date=1240403113
                        Surely you can source an importer of Japanese goods here.
                        Hi Frank, good point. I havent done enough searching around.

Maybe tomorrow I will have time to have a look for a local supplier. Maybe we can find one locally and cheaper for Simon our nominated guinea pig.

I was hoping that one or more of our site sponsors could stock it for us if we find that it works well. But first things first, we should nurture our brave guinea pig for now.

Chris.

Comment

Hey ChrisMug,

PM sent, there is an aussie distributor I think

Comment

Thank guys for your help.
                            Simon will get his Kyocera Grinder in about 2 weeks and will test it out for us.
                            If it seems to work well enough for some of us guys to want one, we have some contacts so we can try to make them available locally.
                            Im happy to wait for Simon to get back to us but if there is anyone who is interested now, let me know, I can make a start right away.

Chris.

Comment

Hi All! If you want to see the grinder in action (by the way it is manufactured in Japan, not China) we posted a video of it in use in our video vault on our website - I dont know how to, or if its ok to post it here. We pulled the shot on our Wall Mount 58mm vintage lever Faema.

Always happy to do what we can to keep shipping costs down, so if theres ever a time you want to do some type of group buy from us, just let us know & well do what we can to help.

Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X