simple mods for messy EM0480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple mods for messy EM0480

probable something like this has been posted before (especially the spout - I found some mentions but no pics) but here goes...

the spout is vinyl tubing from the hardware, took a couple of goes to get the angles right

the surround-shield is cut from a plastic sheet that came as packaging on a flatscreen TV
    a large PETE soft-drink bottle also springs to mind
    alternatives would be found in the stationery section of the supermarket (eg plastic folders) in a range of colours
    I reckon newsagents or scrapbooking suppliers would have some pretty cool foiled paper/card that would look nice
    and theres always aluminium window-flashing from the hardware

I made the first mock-up with A4 photocopy paper, eventually transferring to graph paper to get the symmetry right, then traced with the plastic and cut with knife/scissors

Michael

Re: simple mods for messy EM0480

Awesome job there Michael! Looks like a very simple yet great solution to the grinds going everywhere. I own a Rocky and get a little frustrated with the mess it makes as well and have been trying different mods etc to overcome some of the shortfalls - Funny how we are always looking for ways to improve our tools!
    I might look into picking up a second hand one of these for my filter/plunger grinds as I also get sick of having to flush/clean between brews and then dial in again for the espresso. Happy with the grind quality?

Alistair

Comment

Nice. Do I have to pay patent rights to use?

Comment

Alistair, the grind quality seems OK. Never had another grinder so I wouldnt really know.
        At first, far too coarse, but using old beans (bought by mistake - came out like sawdust) then supermarket beans, and now some fresh beans from Zarraffas which are great.

I did get onto Sunbeam for a couple of shim washers to raise the bottom burr a touch, needed to add both (total of 4 counting 2 that came already fitted) to get the grind fine enough at a setting of around 11. Interestingly, while this works well for the double group head, the single chokes up and Ive had to coarsen up about 3 notches.
        [hr]Madpierre, I think a royalty would be better in the long run. Do you think it should be per day, per grind, per cup or per kg? Maybe I should talk to my bank about a direct debit scheme.

If you do make up a screen, let me know (or post a pic) of what material you use. Dont forget to have some tabs at the bottom that fold under the mat, theyre not in my pic. Mine are 15mm square (actually, not square but tapered in the back corners so as not to overlap) but in the front corners, longer might have been better as the mat tends to lift a little here. The fit of the mat in the baseplate isnt snug enough to grip the screen tightly. Thinking about a spot of glue at each front corner...

Comment

Nice job mcr!!

I have the Sunbeam spout but those side walls are really neat. 8-)

Any chance you could post your pattern up here?

Chris

...also sick of the splatter...

Comment

heres the pattern, though I drew it on graph paper, that hasnt come out in the B&W scan
            also, I have no idea what size it might print out for you
            it might be necessary to rotate +/- re-size the image

the screen in this template is 300mm wide/long and 146mm high from the flat base to the peaks (not counting the tabs at the base)
            theres a 20mm scale on the template, if that helps

if anyone has specific ideas for scanning and formatting this, please let me know by forum or PM

Michael

Comment

Thanks Michael

Legend.

Ill have a crack at it this evening. Looks at least to be a 2 or 3 beer job if taken seriously ;D

Chris

Comment

I wondered, actually, if one could be made out of one or more aluminium cans
                Youd probably need tall ones, I could recommend Guiness or Kilkenny. Or Mother, if its really the caffeine youre after.
                Perhaps joined with double-sided tape to get sufficient length? There would be a way of crimping too.
                You can cut cans nicely with a stanley-knife blade, held flat at an appropriate height eg on a book, but rotating the can and scoring deeper and deeper. Scissors or snips tend to give a stretched/buckled edge.

Comment

Nah - prefer the perspex myself

Comment

that man deserves a DB

Great design MCR, will have to get the Mrs onto trying to make something up, mine would end up looking like a dogs breakfast

Comment

Ive used a 2 litre plastic milk bottle, top and most of one side cut out with a slot for the grinder spout. I read about the idea on here - and Im sure theres pictures of the original floating around somewhere.
                      Its certainly not quite as attractive as the clear perspex in this thread, but it didnt cost anything, didnt take very long to cut to size and its pretty effective.

Comment

Love it, well done !

CB

Comment

This is a mod that I have found works very well to prevent messy grinds overflowing onto the bench. I started with cutting a Styrofoam cup to fit just on the inside of the PF but then a Humphrey (a fellow CSer) found if you cut a bit further and make it a slightly tight fit it clicks on and doesnt just fall off. I have now adopted this method and it means you can give the PF a bit of a shake to level out the grinds then take off the grind guard and level off and tamp. Works very well!

[img][/img]

Comment

My solution for my messy EM0450 was to replace it with a Gaggia MDF. :P

Comment

Have managed to draft up a template for this, looks ok (just fits onto 1 A4 piece of paper) and if I have the measurements correct, should work out well.

I have a laminating machine at the shop, so will run through a blank pouch to stiffen up the plastic, should be about the right weight / stiffness I reckon. Could always put in some funky sort of coffee bean design and sell em on trademe (NZs evilbay

Sen

Comment

Working...
                              X