Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which grinder should I get for my Gaggia Classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which grinder should I get for my Gaggia Classic?

Dear All,
    I am very new to the scene & have just purchased a Gaggia Classic. Could anyone please tell me what they recommend as reasonably priced grinder that would pair well with the Classic.
    Thanks in advance.
    Matt

Re: Which grinder should I get for my Gaggia Classic?

Iberital challenge has been mentioned many times as a suitable (if lower end) stepless grinder suitable for espresso.

Having said that - I made do with a magic bullet for about 12 months - then a sunbeam 0450 - now a stepless Eureka.

What sort of budget do you have? That would help.

Comment

Id prefer to not spend over $200 (but could stretch it to $300 if considered necesary for a decent espresso!)
      Thanks for your input so far.

Comment

The Sunbeam em0450 can be found around the $150 mark.

Comment

Welcome mattatk... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Have a read through this post and others linked to, inside it.... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1194680556
          Might help a bit. Basically though, get the best grinder you can afford as this is the piece of hardware that can make or break the quality of coffee in the cup, at the end of the day. The Gaggia Classic is a very competent espresso machine and when coupled with a decent grinder, is capable of producing consistently excellent espresso.... With the usual caveats applied of course

Mal.

Comment

Speaking of the Gaggia, should I install a PID?

Comment

put the money you would spend on a PID and up the grinder budget, likely to get better results in the cup than an inferior grinder and a PIDd machine

Comment

Originally posted by 16202B24312A37450 link=1241667895/6#6 date=1241730866
                put the money you would spend on a PID and up the grinder budget, likely to get better results in the cup than an inferior grinder and a PIDd machine
                Absolutely and spot-on Senator.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

While a Gaggia Classic responds really well to the addition of PID Control, a decent grinder will have far more immediate benefits in the cup. They mightnt have LED Displays and all sorts of other fandangles(technical description) but a good basic grinder like a Compak K3 Touch or Elite will make a HUGE difference and are built to last a lifetime in a domestic situation.

Go the Grinder... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Wow, thanks very much for the input. Ill start looking around to see what I can pick up. This is such a great resource!!
                  Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X