Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunbeam EM0480 not grinding fine enough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM0480 not grinding fine enough...

Hi there,

My friend has just brought a Sunbeam EM6910/EM0480 Combo. Im helping them set it up and learn how to make espresso (very stressful!).

Anyway, there seems to be a problem with the grinder. It wont grind fine enough for espresso. I have good technique dosing/tamping and never have any problems with my Silvia.

I have the Sunbeam Grinder on the finest setting, and with the double basket it pours in maybe 10sec with a hard tamp and updosed. With the single basket it is about 15sec. Even visually the grind is a bit more course then it should be - but still finer then plunger etc.

It tried twise taking the hopper/top burrs off and putting the grinder together again. the grind was the same. Please note im majorly updosing within 1mm top of basket to try and slow the flow rate but the grind just isnt fine enough.

The beans are fresh and pour nicely with my Silvia/grinder combo.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Sunbeam EM0480? Is it worth ringing Sunbeam? As its impossible to make espresso like this..

Jonno

Re: Sunbeam EM0480 not grinding fine enough...

Hi there,
    You will see a lot of posts about this issue. You need another spacer under the burrs. CAll Sunbeam, and theyll send some out - together with instructions. Its an easy fix - and very effective.

Comment

Hi Jonno, Ive had this grinder for a few years now and it has always performed flawlessly with my old Gaggia machine. However when I bought a Silvia a few weeks back I had the same problem, I couldnt grind fine enough. I called sunbeam and they sent me a couple of washers. I simply put one washer under the bottom burr as per their instructions and now Im grinding finely and consistently on about setting number 8. Good 25 second shots Sometimes I may need to go up or down a notch or 2 depending on the beans though.

Good luck
      bill

Comment

I am having the same problem with my combo of EM6910/EM0480. I have called Sunbeam and hopefully will receive my washers some times this week. Like to see if it will improve my pour too.

Comment

Heres the Recalibration Guide:

You will need a couple at most 10mm dia washers 0.2mm thick.

Its easy and it works  

Comment

I decided to ring Sunbeam and get the official spacers. She asked how many my grinder had fitted. I told her one and she said it should have three.

She is posting two today

Comment

Spacers arrived as promised

Installed one extra and will keep the other in reserve

Comment

I had the same poor (coarse) grind problem with my Sunbeam EM0480 grinder and just replaced the bottom shim under the bearing ring with a standard 5/16" flat washer (about 2mm thick) and now it grinds really well.
                I have now had the first good coffee with this grinder since I bought it 6 months ago.

Comment

Glad you are a happy Coffee Snob Colin 

Comment

I bought one of these grinders recently and also found that it does not grind fine enough for esspresso. After reading these posts I thought even a technically ungifted person like me could dissasemble and reassemble...wrong!

I removed the burrs to discover that there were two spacers so I guess I need one more. But I also
                    found that there was a small spring and button sitting loose beside the bottom burr which looks like it is part of a switch which is wired through a small hole. Its a bit hard to describe so I am attaching photos of the parts, the switch and the place they look like they should fit. I cant seem to put this back together again. When I try it is really difficult to get a neat fit stop the spring and button falling back out and I cant make the plate which sits onto fit flush.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X