Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cunill Tranquilo grind setting

Folks,

I just picked up a Cunill El Cafe Tranquilo, given that a number of threads around these parts (and elsewhere, such as HB) seemed to suggest it was in the ballpark of the Rocky, but considerably cheaper (by about $200-300).

It arrived yesterday, and I set it up, but Ive been disappointed with its output. Thats putting it mildly.

I found the zero point by winding in the burrs till they touched and turned together, then backed of a step - this should be the minimum grind setting possible.

Based on experience of other owners, backing off anywhere between 5-10 stops from the zero point should give a decent espresso grind, obviously dependent on beans & roast, etc.

Ive given it a good go (using fresh Campos beans, for the record), and found that the only way I could get a non-gushing pour was to set it one click from zero and overdose my 18gm basket, and tamp the heck out of it. Im not even close to being able to clog the pour, and Im on the finest setting. Nothing doing with the 16gm basket - it was just pouring straight through, about 10sec for 60ml.

Ive used a friends Rocky, and had reasonable results. Am I missing something, fellow Tranquilo owners (I know youre out there)?

My machine is an old 1-group Rancilio Z9 which Ive fully reconditioned, and works passably well. I know its not great, but its functional (good, even), and has done the job with a Rocky, and even my modded Breville BarAroma grinder seemed to go better.

Any suggestions?

Re: Cunill Tranquilo grind setting

Id like to be able to help you but Im not too sure exactly what i can say .

I have two of these grinders setup , one for espresso and the other for decaff , and have found them tremendous value and performance.

As a last resort you might get a 1Kg of supermarket beans and run them thru ..... testing every 6th grind.
    I believe these grinders do need a few beans run thru to break them in.

Wish I could be more helpful

Greg

Comment

Welcome freney..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As a matter of interest; have you stripped the Cunill right down so as to ensure there is no mechanical problem and also that the burr-plates are nice and sharp. Really blunt burrs can cause this sort of thing so worth checking...

Cheers
      Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal,

Thanks!

There dont seem to be any mechanical problems - everything is in alignment (as far as I can tell).

I checked the burrs, but Im not sure how to tell if theyre sharp - how sharp should they feel? Im certainly in no danger of cutting my finger on them, but its tricky to tell from a sample size of one!

Thanks,

Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by 6B7F686368740D0 link=1246424357/3#3 date=1246841383
          I checked the burrs, but Im not sure how to tell if theyre sharp - how sharp should they feel? Im certainly in no danger of cutting my finger on them, but its tricky to tell from a sample size of one!
          Gday Sam,

Basically, if you run the back of a fingernail or thumbnail against the cutting edge of the burrs, particularly nearer the centre, you should notice the tendency for the cutting edges to want to "bite in" and shave some of your nail off. If the edges feel quite blunt or even rounded, then you need to toss the burr-plates and buy a new set. Theyre not normally expensive, usually between the $40-50 mark somewhere and should last for years in a home situation.

I notice that CoffeeParts stock a couple of different Cunill Burr Sets so that might be a good place to start, if needed. All the best....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal.

Turns out that I returned that grinder - it had a dodgy timer switch.

(For the full story: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222851950/0#3)

Ive got a replacement that is far more satisfactory, even if it is a compromise between two machines!

At some point down the track I might look at new burrs, but Im coping pretty well at the moment.

Sam.

Comment

Good to hear Sam 8-)

Should keep you going for a long, long time....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
              X