Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen aid burr grinder

Hi all at CS

A newbie couple here just embarking on our journey into real coffee.
    We have a Brevile 800ES as a starting machine (wont take long to buy a real machine,(isomac) just wont tell my partner)

But first we need to buy a grinder, not so into all the chrome cafe looking things and are considering the Kitchen Aid as we like the look. I can find plenty of reviews from USA but no Australian reviews. So am looking for some opinion, it seems to have a strong motor, slow speed and is reasonably priced. Is this an allright choice?

Many thanks

Chester and Amanda

Re: Kitchen aid burr grinder

Hi Cosmic,

Do a search on ^^^^^^ using the term "kitchenaid" for the last year. You will get plenty of hits. Kitchenaid grinders are not particularly highly regarded by CSers. You could do a whole heap better with the same $$$

2mcm

Comment

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1243557348/6#6
      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1237782001/4#4
      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1216073202/1#1

Comment

Sounds like the KA is out. So in the price line were looking at (although a little shiny, but at the end its got to be about the quality of the grind) what about the Isomac Granmacinino or the Rancilio Rocky

Thanks for your opinions

Chester and Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by 515D415F5B516D515D47425E570000320 link=1246967230/3#3 date=1246970527
          what about the Isomac Granmacinino or the Rancilio Rocky
          Rocky is your best choice of the 2

KK

Comment

The stock KitchenAid Pro Line is good and espresso capable, but not the best choice for the money. BUT if you take a bit of time like I did and transplant Mazzer Mini burrs into the Pro Line it is easily on par with or better than the Rocky. It actually put the grind consistency and fineness on par with the MDX I use at work. Attached pic is the 2nd double shot pulled after the mod using 17 grams of 2 week old beans. No dialing in at all. Can anybody say gloopy???

BTW, I wouldnt buy a Pro Line just to modify it, but for those that have one already this is the ticket. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by 4D415D43474D714D415B5E424B1C1C2E0 link=1246967230/0#0 date=1246967230
              are considering the Kitchen Aid as we like the look
              Its whats underneath that counts

Rocky is a much better buy at around the same price 8-)

Comment

Dont know about prices where you live, but here in the US a Rocky is close to twice as much as the Pro Line and is certainly not built any better.

For the OP... if you want great grinding performance and style check out this site for hand grinders. Best bang for the buck. Later!

NON-Sponsor link removed in accordance with Site Sales and Posting Policy.

The Mod Team.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions,

Went and had a look today and went with a Rocky after talking with Chris from barazi. Thanks Chris!

Trouble is I have to go buy the Bezzera BZO7S, go to spend $400 dollars come away looking at spending another 2K next week.

Not just the caffine thats addictive.

Cheers

Chester and Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by 3B20292C273F7F7C7D480 link=1246967230/7#7 date=1247047527
                    Dont know about prices where you live, but here in the US a Rocky is close to twice as much as the Pro Line and is certainly not built any better.
                    They cost about the same here....

Mal.

Comment

To the OP, based on what Ive been reading for awhile, the Rocky was a great grinder years ago, the home grinder to own. BUT now there are several available for similar $$$ that are clearly much better. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by 455E57525941010203360 link=1246967230/10#10 date=1247163995
                        To the OP, based on what Ive been reading for awhile, the Rocky was a great grinder years ago, the home grinder to own. BUT now there are several available for similar $$$ that are clearly much better. Later!
                        Really shadow?

I can think of the K3T at circa $600 but nothing much at Rocky price and quality. What grinders did you have in mind?

Chris

Comment

U wont regret upgrading to a Rocky. I love the look of the Kitchen Aid gear but the quality and functionality of them leaves a little to be desired. There are plent of great grinders around but value for money the rocky is fantastic. But if u can get some more $$ together then there are better grinders such as k3 touch or mini mazzer but theyre quite a bit more $$.

As usual... Go check them out and have a play first though.

Comment

Originally posted by 76434E497D614D44444747220 link=1246967230/11#11 date=1247169105
                            I can think of the K3T at circa $600 but nothing much at Rocky price and quality. What grinders did you have in mind?

Chris
                            In the U.S. the new Baratzo Vario can be had for only a few dollars more then the stepless Rocky & has received very good reviews. The K3 is around $100 more then the Rocky & the Mini $100 more then the K3.

Ive owned a KA Pro for several years & consider it a good press pot grinder but thats about it. Recently bought two Majors for the U.S. online price of the KA so I now have a Major that does only vac pot grinding. Decadent!!

Comment

Working...
                            X