grinding soft beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinding soft beans

I recently acquired an EM480.  There were beans of unknown origin and age in the grinder which i used for to get a feel for the grind settings. Produced an ok grind for my EM6910 on a quite fine setting.

When I changed to Campo Superior blend beans nothing worked - just turned to mud and blocked the pour unless on the coarsest possible grind. Just producing a coffee on the coarsest grinder setting.

Are some beans soft and so grind much finer than others.

Re: grinding soft beans

There are modifications you can do to the EM0480 to allow it to produce a finer grind. I dont own one but I understand it means inserting spacer washers. Im sure Sunbeam owners will advise.

You usually have to re-dial the grinder for different beans. I was drinking a Ugandan bean up until yesterday which required a relatively coarse grind for my grinder. I switched to a Peru Grace Villa yesterday afternoon which then required me to re-dial to a very fine setting.

Its worthwhile noting the grind settings as you try different beans but different roasts of the bean, ageing of the bean and atmospheric conditions may also require some adjustment.

Comment

Re: grinding soft beans

Originally posted by 616E797972780B0 link=1248393735/0#0 date=1248393735
      I recently acquired an EM480.  There were beans of unknown origin and age in the grinder which i used for to get a feel for the grind settings. Produced an ok grind for my EM6910 on a quite fine setting.

When I changed to Campo Superior blend beans nothing worked - just turned to mud and blocked the pour unless on the coarsest possible grind. Just producing a coffee on the coarsest grinder setting.

Are some beans soft and so grind much finer than others.
      All beans are of a different hardness depending on many variables... Then as they love to absorb moisture, they will all change as time goes on and how they are stored..

Old stale beans are not worth any thing other than compost :-)

Depending on ya basket.. You may have got something that looks like coffee. Thus if using teh double floor ones, your getting what I would expect from fresh beans.

1: Use teh single floor baskets ONLY and make sure it is the double shot...

2: Clean ya grinder and run say 50 to 100g through it..  

If they were really old and sticky; your going to have crap in teh grinder.. Manual clean of teh burrs, is the only way to get rid of teh crap.

3: Then start all over again...

With good beans and the right tamp (and right basket) you should be OK..

Start by reading here...

http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/HowToEspresso.html

Comment

Working...
      X