Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Grinder to pair with a Rocket Giotto

Hi,

Im about to make a significant purchase on an espresso machine (rocket giotto) and so am feeling a little squeezed for $$$ when it comes to now also needing a grinder - but on the other hand I dont want to have spend a small fortune on an espresso machine and then get an inferior brew because I skimped on the grinder ... so can people please give me recommendations on grinders.
    Ive so far only personaly seen the Macap 4D, but wouldnt mind some cross comparisons with the compak k3 eleite, the eca KS, and MAzzer mini E doserless?

ps important criteria are grind quality, messsiness, and physical size as i have a smallish workspace.

Many thanks.

Re: Best Grinder to pair with a Rocket Giotto

It depends on how much you have set aside for your grinder. if I was you, I would be looking at machine + grinder package deals.

Failing that, if strapped for cash, I would aim for a minimum of a Sunbeam 0480 but steer towards a Rocky or K3

Comment

I can prob go for the macap 4d if if its worth it - or is the mazzer mini e better etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 485E4F434A4A49492C0 link=1248587483/2#2 date=1248603442
        I can prob go for the macap 4d if if its worth it - or is the mazzer mini e better etc.
        I wont recommend either way
        Even when I own the M4D

Go and try both grinders out and buy the one you like
        Both are good grinders

KK

Comment

Ive used the Mini and own the Macap M4 and ECA KS. the Compak K3 Touch I avoided as when I looked at it, the electronic start/stop mechanism (portafilter as circuit) was pretty cruddy.

ECA KS - slower grinder than the others. Clumps less than the M4 or Mini (surprisingly, but I have pictures to prove it) and grinds cleanly into the center of the portafilter. Lighter than the M4/Mini but like a tank compared with a Rocky/i-Mini. Stepped adjustment (could be cured!)

Mazzer Mini - louder than the M4 and with a very similar grind. At the Sydney CS meetup last saturday, we all preferred the M4 (dosered) to the Mini (dosered). medium left throw.

M4 - nice grinder, slower than more expensive grinders, slightly clumpy, slight left throw, quite a heavy grind profile.

hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F626368726F727F060 link=1248587483/4#4 date=1248673138
            M4 - nice grinder, slower than more expensive grinders, slightly clumpy, slight left throw, quite a heavy grind profile.
            What does that mean exactly? :-?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 0E23272B264A0 link=1248587483/5#5 date=1248676731
              What does that mean exactly?
              Im also waiting on the answer. :-?

Comment

If the budget is tight Rocky doserless is a good choice, with the easy mods to make it stepless its a great grinder for the $$$ spent and a very solid unit.
                Ive got the Mazzer mini now and it does a great job, took me a while to get a routine going where I didnt make a mess, if I thwack too fast it throws to the left and makes a horrible mess but a gentle sweep and exact dose keeps area nice and tidy.
                Good luck with your choice

Comment

Originally posted by 775A5B504A574A473E0 link=1248587483/4#4 date=1248673138
                  slower than more expensive grinders
                  We could use that phrase for almost any grinder.

Originally posted by 775A5B504A574A473E0 link=1248587483/4#4 date=1248673138
                  quite a heavy grind profile
                  Maybe there are more fines than big bits, or more big bits than fine bits...no wait...a tonne of feathers still ways a tonne...lol ;D Id be interested in an answer too!

Originally posted by 594C5B5B50535F503E0 link=1248587483/7#7 date=1248679408
                  If the budget is tight Rocky doserless is a good choice
                  I dont think its a good match at all.

Originally posted by 5A4C5D5158585B5B3E0 link=1248587483/2#2 date=1248603442
                  I can prob go for the macap 4d if if its worth it
                  Im liking that.

Comment

By heavy, I meant that the grind isnt anywhere near as fluffy as the K10 (reference point), so the same volume of grinds would weigh more than that (or indeed the KS, for some reason). That was only based on a few hours having the grinders side by side, however.

Why does everyone think the M4D is so much better than the M4?

Comment

Hmmm,

My M4 hasnt clumped with any of my roasts yet, including some with a good sheen of oil on them. Output is always fluffy as you put it but I didnt think to weigh a measured volume compared to my LSM SM-90a while I still had it. In fact, the LSM was a fluffy grinder as well ;D ;D..... (Not fluffy dice but that might be an option )

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 765B5A514B564B463F0 link=1248587483/9#9 date=1248685376
                        Dont know about everyone believing this; horses for course I reckon :-?.

Out of all the smaller non-doser commercial machines that discharge a measured dose, the M4D is apparently the most consistent. Its also pretty clean as well since the chute discharges directly downwards into the PF or container. If you read a few reviews of the M4D going back to shortly after it was released, this seems to be the most common benefit; after quality of build, etc....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5875747F65786568110 link=1248587483/9#9 date=1248685376
                          Has been reported to be much faster - will find out for myself soon enough.

Comment

I recently paired my GPP with a Compak K3 Pro Barista WBC with mini hopper. Extremely happy with it. Very solid, looks great and doser sweeps very clean. A real bonus. Grind quality tops. Adjustment easy provided youre just grinding for espresso where adjustments are fairly minimal between roast batches. You might have to place a couple of marks on the collar if you were bouncing around from plunger, etc. The M4D does have me intrigued and I would consider once I get tempted to try doserless again.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E535259435E434E370 link=1248587483/9#9 date=1248685376

not all do. I found distribution a pita with the m4d as the grind was very dense. Dosing to the rim would net about 23 grams, and dosing to a more reasonable weight was well and truly below the top of the basket. YMMV.

Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X