Problem with K3 Elite Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with K3 Elite Grinder

I just bought myself an ex-demo K3 Elite off evilbay. This is my first experience with a doser grinder, apart from when I worked in a restaurant many moons ago.

There seems to be an issue with the dispenser on the doser. When I pull the dispensing lever it only occassionally engages the dispener to turn. Probably only ~1 in ever 10 flicks of the lever.

Does anyone know if this involves a simple adjustment or if I should be trying to send it back to the seller?

And YES I have learnt my lesson and will be buying my next grinder from a CS sponor!!

Re: Problem with K3 Elite Grinder

i have a old Brasilia grinder with doser that does that.

the problem with mine is it has a piece of "spring steel" that clicks against a Cog to stop it reversing. that way the doser handle can only make it rotate clockwise.

the piece of steel is broken on mine so the doser sort of goes back and forth not around and around. sometimes it works, i made it doser less

try to take the bottom of the doser and have a look, might be something similar might be something else in yours.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Maheel. Im not sure if its the same issue with mine as it does engage occassionally, but not always.

Ive contacted the seller to see their response before tinkering around with it too much.

Hopefully theyll refund me, that way I can sell my Granmacinino & EM0480 and with the funds by myself a nice grinder from a sponsor.

Comment

You can adjust the size of the dose in the Elite by opening the top cover and manually pushing down on the centre of the dosing wheel, turning clockwise or counterclockwise a few clicks. This adjusts the height of the wheel and how firmly it presses against the bottom of the dosing chamber. Perhaps yours has been adjusted so far to one direction, (wheel is so high off the bottom) that it thinks there is nothing to dose. There is no pressure and the ratchet mechanism doesnt engage? When my grinder is empty and I pull on the lever some times the ratchet doesnt engage and doesnt rotate the chamber... It also doesnt engage if I dont pull the lever all the way out when "thwaking".

You can also try applying a very slight upward or downward pressure on the lever as you thwak it forward. Perhaps this does nothing but I feel it improves performance.

Comment

Originally posted by 122523333829500 link=1248918114/3#3 date=1248925607
          You can adjust the size of the dose in the Elite by opening the top cover and manually pushing down on the centre of the dosing wheel, turning clockwise or counterclockwise a few clicks. This adjusts the height of the wheel and how firmly it presses against the bottom of the dosing chamber. Perhaps yours has been adjusted so far to one direction, (wheel is so high off the bottom) that it thinks there is nothing to dose.
          Thanks heaps for the advice Buschy, I thought you were really onto the problem there. I screwed the doser adjustment all the way down (it was quite high). I then thwacked successfully 10 times in a row but it stopped engaging again :-/

Comment

OK Im about to ask one of those really embarassing newbie questions. Please keep in mind that all my previous experience is with doserless grinders.  Here goes......

Does there have to be ground coffee in the doser for the dosing mechanism to actually work? I guess what I mean is does there have to be some weight on the bottom of the doser for the mechanism to work?

The problems Ive described above have been using an empty doser.  

I just put ~20g of coffee through and the doser seemed to work just fine.  Maybe this is just coincidental as it seemed to work on and off before.  I guess Ill have to give it a few more goes.  

Anyway........WOW!  What a difference a grinder makes!! I havent even dialed it in yet, just started at a random spot in the espresso range.

I thought I was making decent coffee with the inbuilt Lux on the Napoletana.  Now Im worried Im going to have to buy another K3, one for home and one for work.  The intensity, complexity and balance of the flavour was on another planet!

Comment

Originally posted by 3C3D37243A3F25560 link=1248918114/5#5 date=1248930286
              Does there have to be ground coffee in the doser for the dosing mechanism to actually work?
              No.
              I put only 20g through mine every time I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by 0438253E343522373F34500 link=1248918114/6#6 date=1248932993
                No.
                I put only 20g through mine every time I use it.
                Hmmm, well it seems to be working fine now.
                I just dialed it a little finer and this shot is even better than the last.
                Also made 4 flat whites for the office since the last post and everyone was drooling.

One guy was about to make himself a Nescafe and I told "dont be stupid", threw it out before he added the water and made him a real coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A7B71627C7963100 link=1248918114/5#5 date=1248930286

Does there have to be ground coffee in the doser for the dosing mechanism to actually work?  I guess what I mean is does there have to be some weight on the bottom of the doser for the mechanism to work?
                  I just had a play with mine now that Im back at home. Its currently empty. Youll find it responds very differently depending on how you "thwack". Try overhand, then underhand. Try a little upward pressure if underhand, then try a little downward pressure if overhand. Try thwacking fast, then thwacking slow. If yours is like mine, the ratchet engages everytime when underhand and fast with very slight upward pressure. However, if I thwack overhand, slowly with no pressure I can make the ratchet not engage at all and the lever just moves back and forth without the chamber turning. It all comes down to technique  

Comment

Thanks again Buschy. It seems like I panicked a little but all is good in the world again.

Only issue now is explaining the massive new grinder sitting on the kitchen bench. Its still sitting here in the office and Im too scared to take it home.

I was suprised just how big the K3 is for a home grinder. I will have to take a photo of it next to the Granmacino or EM0480 for others to get an idea.

Comment

Mini hopper available.
                      But $$$

Comment

Originally posted by 4E797F6F64750C0 link=1248918114/10#10 date=1248938140
                        Mini hopper available.
                        But $$$
                        yeah I know, I think something like $70 plus postage.  I can live with the height, and it doesnt have to fit under a low cupboard or anything like that.  To be honest the only thing I am disappointed about is the hopper, not sure why, I guess it just seems a little flimsy, especially compared to the rest of the machine which is built like a Sherman tank.  I am confident this will last me many many years.

Another solution is what GregWormald did with his MacapM4D and simply cut off a cheap cocktail shaker.  Looks great!
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1247804190/6#6

Comment

Thanks for the compliment.

BTW, its not that the K3 is so big, its that the Granmacino is tiny. ;D

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 497C6B6959617C636F626A0E0 link=1248918114/12#12 date=1248954416
                            Thanks for the compliment.

BTW, its not that the K3 is so big, its that the Granmacino is tiny. ;D

Greg
                            Yeah it is small but damn heavy for such a small unit.
                            Wish I had the time to dial in all my grinders and do a proper taste comparison.

Comment

Working...
                            X