newbie question about new Rancilio Rocky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie question about new Rancilio Rocky

Hi there, I just took delivery of a new 2009 model Rancilio Rocky. Ive read some stuff on here about calibration (finding the zero point) which implies that you need to take the hopper off to do this. However I just followed the instructions that came with the grinder, and as far as I can tell the zero point is at position 8 (thats when you can hear the burrs touching). I was quite surprised by this as it means that as the grinder came from the factory, and without removing the safety screw, if I was to set it to zero as marked on the dial it would be 8 points beyond zero and presumably causing serious damage to the burrs (?)

Am I understanding everything correctly? I have put a bit of tape on the dial to remind myself that position 8 is the zero point. I assume that the finest grind I should attempt would be with the dial at position 9, i.e. the first position where the burrs seem not to be touching.

Is there a way to adjust the machine so that the dial on the hopper indicates zero when it is actually at zero? It looks to me as if you can only turn the hopper in relation to the top brass bit by 120 degrees, as there are three screw points.

Re: newbie question about new Rancilio Rocky

Originally posted by 373C3C3B590 link=1249469936/0#0 date=1249469936
    Hi there, I just took delivery of a new 2009 model Rancilio Rocky. Ive read some stuff on here about calibration (finding the zero point) which implies that you need to take the hopper off to do this. However I just followed the instructions that came with the grinder, and as far as I can tell the zero point is at position 8 (thats when you can hear the burrs touching). I was quite surprised by this as it means that as the grinder came from the factory, and without removing the safety screw, if I was to set it to zero as marked on the dial it would be 8 points beyond zero and presumably causing serious damage to the burrs (?)

Am I understanding everything correctly? I have put a bit of tape on the dial to remind myself that position 8 is the zero point. I assume that the finest grind I should attempt would be with the dial at position 9, i.e. the first position where the burrs seem not to be touching.

Is there a way to adjust the machine so that the dial on the hopper indicates zero when it is actually at zero? It looks to me as if you can only turn the hopper in relation to the top brass bit by 120 degrees, as there are three screw points.
    YES and NO...

Start here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1248646363

Lots on the Rocky and it has all been stated and answered before...

Also a great little page or two here http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/HowToRocky.html

If 0 = 8 then do not know why you would need to set to 9 ?

For me one of the biggest failings is that the index tape can not be moved to assist those that like an exact reference point... But after all it is only an indicator

Comment

Thanks!

So yes, I am more or less getting it, and no, I cant move the index numbers?

I did search the forum before I posted, but got far more information than I needed and of course some contradictory opinions.

Also I was wondering if the 2009 instructions / setup of the machine from the factory might be different.

Sorry, I know from forums in other areas about which I have more expertise that it is annoying when newbies post questions that have been dealt with many times before, but the converse is that if you /are/ a newbie, the volume and detail of information (some of it contradictory) you get when you do searches on popular topics is off-putting...  

8 is where I can hear the burrs touching. I assumed thats not good for them and that it would be best to use 9, which is the lowest setting at which they are not touching. But the main thing is that I just want to be sure that 8/9 really is the zero point, and that I shouldnt be setting it any lower than that (despite the fact that as it came from the factory there is nothing to stop me whacking it all of the way down to "0" on the dial).

Comment

Originally posted by 313A3A3D5F0 link=1249469936/2#2 date=1249553370
        Sorry, I know from forums in other areas about which I have more expertise that it is annoying when newbies post questions that have been dealt with many times before, but the converse is that if you /are/ a newbie, the volume and detail of information (some of it contradictory) you get when you do searches on popular topics is off-putting...  

Quote:

8 is where I can hear the burrs touching. I assumed thats not good for them and that it would be best to use 9, which is the lowest setting at which they are not touching. But the main thing is that I just want to be sure that 8/9 really is the zero point, and that I shouldnt be setting it any lower than that (despite the fact that as it came from the factory there is nothing to stop me whacking it all of the way down to "0" on the dial).
        Yep nothing is easy... 2 + 2 = 5 for large values of 2 and in all other cases 4

The issue is do not get hung up on 8.. or any other number..

Do not know where you got it from... There is a screw that is used to stop / set the system so that you do not crash it.. Read about it here.. http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/HowToRocky.html

There was also another post in teh last day as to adjusting and burrs touching.. It was spot on. Greg W if my memory is correct...

There is NO way that you should be on 9 or even 10 /11 maybe even 12 if ya zero is 8...

It will depend on your Coffee machine and what grind it needs..

My rocky is set to 20 at ideal.... Zero is about 15 0r 10... Do not care...

20 is the setting in general and I usually hover about +/- 1 or 2 clicks depending on the beans... That is all that matters.

Comment

Hi neeb, every Rocky seems to have a different setting, when I had mine zero point was at around 2-3. Ignore the settings and dial in to your current beans, its a great grinder, enjoy!!

Comment

Thanks both, Ill just stop fretting and use the thing..

Comment

I just brought my new Rocky (doser model) home tonight.

I followed the instructions which were to turn the hopper clockwise all the way until the plates touched then back it off about 7-8 steps. I did this and it seemed to work fine - no odd noises, so I hope Ive done it right.

However the resulting grind choked my machine so I experimented and finally settled on 10, which was what it was set to when I pulled it out of the box. Just need some practice tamping now.

After 10 years of using pre-ground coffee, I can now see how good it is to have a decent grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 3E353532500 link=1249469936/2#2 date=1249553370
                Thanks!

So yes, I am more or less getting it, and no, I cant move the index numbers?

I did search the forum before I posted, but got far more information than I needed and of course some contradictory opinions.

Also I was wondering if the 2009 instructions / setup of the machine from the factory might be different.

Hello all....

Ive just cleaned my Rocky and whilst I had no beans in the hopper I thought Id check out my zero point. As per instruction manual - turned the hopper so it cant go no further which is at -2 (on my index) I then turned it to where it has been for the current bean(4) Turned it on and it was making a slight noise which would indicate the burrs are touching, one click up to 5 and noise gone! I filled up the hopper with same roast and grind-dose-tamp 15 secs later Im at my 60ml(dbl basket) Gusher!!! click down to 4 and g-d-t etc almost back to normal 25-30 sec nice syrup.
                Im sure that sounds like neeb....what to do? Do I keep it at 4 and risk damaging burrs? Rocky is only 2 months old.
                :-/

Comment

Working...
                X