$300 best value grinder???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $300 best value grinder???

I was wanting to upgrade my grinder to one in the $300 price range - one step at a time. I currently have Sunbeam Cafe Series (which will be relegated to de-caf)

Just wondering what people recommend.

The sunbeam has served me well but the new blades are $85 plus postage on a machine that I bought new for $160 after ruthless bargaining

Re: $300 best value grinder???

Nemox Lux
    Iberital Challenge

These 2 are your best choice
    Next step up is
    Rocky
    Ascaso i mini

KK

Comment

Keep an eye in the for sale section John, Rockys come up for sale at around the $300 mark from CSers with upgraditis!!

Comment

I dont think going from a SB (I assume it’s a EM0480) to a $300 grinder will be much of an upgrade.  You can probably expect similar results.

The Lux, Challenge, EM0480, Isomac Professionale would probably fall into the same class of grinder and be within your price range.

As mentioned the next step up are the Rocky and i-mini.  You also have the Isomac Granmacinino in that $400’s price range.

My recommendations would be:

1. Buy another EM0480 so you have a matching pair
        2. As greenman suggests, buy a good used Rocky
        3. Up your budget to a new Rocky

I’ve used Lux, EM0480 & Granmacinino.  The Isomac gave slightly better results IMO i.e. more balance across the palate and more consistent results.

I recently bought a Compak K3 Elite which is in another class again.  The difference with the class of grinder was huge.

Comment

Originally posted by 76525B5B58586276524E50523D0 link=1249516789/1#1 date=1249517751
          Nemox Lux
          Iberital Challenge

These 2 are your best choice
          Next step up is
          Rocky
          Ascaso i mini

KK
          The ascaso i-mini and granmac are similarly priced at di bartoli. I just went with the ascaso because at 100 (with cs discount) off it seemed like the better bang for buck buy. Ive not previously used either so Im not sure how they compare, but I thought for the price it looked like a solid little thing and on the di bartoli page it says the granmac is stepped, where as i-mini is stepless.
          So far Ive been very happy with the speed and fineness it grinds, it can clump a bit in the chute, but you get that (more or less). Pairs up nice with the LaPav Pro and looks good beside it. Very heavy, even more solid feeling construction that what I expected.

Not sure on the price of parts, but I can say that Di Bartolis been very helpful and I expect the follow up service, when the time comes, will be in line with what Ive experienced so far - ie, first class.

Hope all this helps in relation to the ascaso at least.

Comment

Another option I just remembered is the Cunill Tranquillo doserless.
            Ive seen these sell for under $300 on the bay of evil.
            Have not used one but reports suggest they are better than the Lux, Challenge et al. Some have suggested its on par with a Rocky.

Sibonis (see link on left of page) have them for $375.  A better way to go IMO than evilbay.

Spanish-made stepped grinder with 60mm burrs.

They have a commerical look IMO which isnt a bad thing if youve got a commerical machine.

Comment

We did this recently. Upgraded the EM0480 to a Rocky we bought 2nd hand on Snobs for $300. It was available for couple of weeks before we bought it so I think its fairly easy to get a used one at that price here (more on Evilbay though). We also have a new (to us, actually several years old) HX machine we are trying to get used to and are now roasting our own beans so even though we are definitly getting better cups I cant say its all due to the Rocky. We like it muchly though  [smiley=grin.gif] and it makes far less mess.    

We posted our EM0480 (still in great nic) to my sister in law who has been using pre-ground supermarket in her KitchenBlingAid.

Comment

Thanks everyone - I am always hesitant to buy things like grinders on evil-bay. You dont know anything about it. I will keep an eye out for a Rocky or similar.

John

Comment

big john

stump up another 200 and you could buy that mcap m5 listed here on CS right now......

you may never need a new grinder ever again then?

come to think, i could sell you my rossi rr45 for 300 and then i could by that m5 my rr45 even has BOEMA on the side 4 you ............. hmmm

Comment

I have sent you a PM

John

Comment

Working...
                    X