Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio MD50 AT, I am not sure if it is new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio MD50 AT, I am not sure if it is new.

Just bougt this new grinder from Grays Online, and as I opened the box I found ground coffee in the ground chamber, and the doser counter shows 9450. It looks new, I dont know what to think. Please help. Thank you.

Re: Rancilio MD50 AT, I am not sure if it is new.

Did they advertise it as new or used :-/

A picture would be nice so we can have a look at it

KK

Comment

It was advertised as new, I am just surprised by the ground coffee, I dont know if this is normal, and by the doser counter at 9450. I cant post aphoto now but the grinder looks new, no scratches, seems ok.

Comment

This is how it looks, I took the photo from the Grays Online page.

Comment

If it has ground coffee in the doser, its not new.

Comment

I once bought a computer case off them which was advertised as new.
            It wsa dented, parts missing and most definitely had been already used.

They did take it back and give me a full refund but I was not impressed. I doubt they had even looked inside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by 765B5A514B564B463F0 link=1249559925/4#4 date=1249561751
              If it has ground coffee in the doser, its not new.
              How do you jump to that conclusion John? I see lots of new grinders with ground coffee in them, either in amongst the burrs or very small amounts in the doser, where they have been tested and pre-set at the factory.

The counters on some grinders arent always set to zero either.

Comment

When I bought my new Rancilio Rocky there was a card in the box explaining that the grinder had been set at the factory and there may be traces of ground coffee still present. I remember seeing evidence of grinds in the hopper and chute. I wouldnt be too worried about it.

Alistair

Comment

Hmm, I could be wrong, but Ive never seen a rancilio grinder with grounds in it new (though im working off a stupidly small sample size). I would assume that the europeans didnt bother to set the doser counter + those small grounds are hard to vac out of a fully made doser, true...

Comment

Thanks Dennis,this is what I needed to hear.Is there any way to check if the burrs have been used, or better if I dont touch them?

Comment

Originally posted by 746B70656B6E020 link=1249559925/9#9 date=1249564253
                      Is there any way to check if the burrs have been used
                      Well, we know they were used cause there was coffee in the doser. ;D

You can unplug it and if you can manage to run the back of your nail across the burrs and they scratch, then their sharp. Some makes of grinder burrs are sharper than others. If the whole unit appears to be new, came in a sealed, original box, then presume it to be new. If not, serves your right for not buying from a Sponsor! ;D

Comment

Thanks guys for your help, enjoy your coffees.

Comment

Hi virgil,

my first post on CS but lurking for sometime....great place!

Just to add to the previous comments, I purchased a new in box Rocky doserless from a well respected sponsor here in Sydney approx 5-6 weeks ago....it was clearly new yet had a quite a bit of old grounds in the hopper, also in the box and around the machine (I assume it had migrated out of the spout).

It was explained to me that the factory does indeed bench test them and are not too fussy about the clean-up.  I for one think it is no bad thing to see obvious signs that the manufacturer likes to know that the machine is running to spec.  Hope yours is in fine working order.

Good luck and good coffee!

Shaun

Comment

I had the same experience as others when I got my new rocky just this week from a CS sponsor... note in there saying that it had been "tested" and I agree with Shaun... I dont see this as a bad thing.

Comment

Thank you for responding to my post, I think it is the case that it was tested at some stage( the grinder), and yes, it is working all right, being a comercial grinder and a behemoth one as well, I hope I will grind a lot of coffee(bought from the CS sponsors without any problems. Thanks again for your response, get back onto coffees guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X