Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on grinder for medium volume cafe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on grinder for medium volume cafe.

Hi,

Have to buy a new grinder for a medium volume cafe that does only 6kgs per day (5kgs during morning rush over a 4 hour period), the other 1kg after lunch hour.
    Would like opinions (pros/cons)from any professional baristas who have used the following and whether or not they would be adequate or overkill based on our current usage:

Mazzer Major
    BNZ flat versus BNZ conical (ie) would BNZ conical be overkill as there is a $1K difference in the price
    Compak K10 WBC

Much appreciated.
    SC64

Re: Opinions on grinder for medium volume cafe.

Particularly if you are growing Id go for the BNZ Conical. Fast as a Robur and Doser as good as Anfims but Stepped adjustment. If you could mod it stepless (or if BNZ would do it ) it would be my ultimate cafe grinder. What equipment do you have now? (coffee machine/grinder)

Comment

I have seen a BNZ & Robur working side by side & I was impressed with both

Robur is large but styling lines make it look small compared to the BNZ with a more industrial chunky look

Go the conical if you can afford it
      KK

Comment

elaborating on monkeys post, if you are a growing cafe or more to point, are you happy with doing 6 kg a day or do you want to do more.

if more, then opt for either the robur or bnz. even if it were to stay at 6 kg a day thats still quite good and when it comes to the equipment used for the main part of the business (coffee) in the long term its well worth the investment both money and quality.

if you get a more expensive grinder and in turn the quality improves and therefor the volume increases the price difference from that of a cheaper one will pay itself off very quickly.

hope this helps

luke

Comment

Ive been very impressed with the BNZ modded to be stepless (bunnings) and doserless (Robur-E funnel).

Comment

a cafe doing 6kg is still going to get a decent rush happening. If your grinding per cup, then I would suggest there is a benefit to getting the fastest grinder possible.

Comment

Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies, was really helpful. At the moment, we are borrowing a grinder from our coffee supplier. It is either a G5 or G6 (not sure as there is no badging) from ECA...has anyone had any experience (good/bad) with these?
              Am leaning towards the BNZ as I do like the way they drop straight down.

Rgds
              SC64

Comment

Originally posted by 49592C2E1A0 link=1250063301/0#0 date=1250063301
                would BNZ conical be overkill
                I have two of them - and no, theyre not overkill.

Originally posted by 51757C7C7F7F4551756977751A0 link=1250063301/2#2 date=1250072611
                BNZ with a more industrial chunky look
                Theyre known as "tractors".

For the life of me though, I really dont understand why your coffee supplier is not providing advice, particularly as its his/her coffee that will go through the thing.

He/she should also be able to get your gear for you at or near wholesale cost.

Den (cuppacoffee)

Comment

I use the Compak K30 twin at work and find it to be a very consistant and reliable grinder.

It has some issues with clumping but they are not drastic..i think it helps reduce wastage which is a bit of an issue with any grind on demand doserless grinder.

The K30 is heavy and wont move around at all. Holds 2 group handles at a time which leaves time for your hands to be doing other things.

The only complaint i have with it is the automatic cleaning reminder that pops up every 75 doses or so.. it stops you from dosing any handles at that point requiring you to press the reset button. This might be changable through programing but i have never seen the instrucion booklet at work so i cant confirm that.

Comment

Huh the K30 twin is Mahlkonig (current WBC Grinder sponsor) not Compak (previous WBC Grinder sponsor).

Comment

OOPSY!

my bad..just disregard my comments then.

For the record though..its a decent grinder lol ;D

Comment

Ive had plenty of experiences with the BNZ Conical as I use it in both the coffee shops I work for, Speed wise its almost as fast as the Robur and very quiet. But be sure to replace the grinding blades with the original item, some of the cheaper aftermarket items can make grinding significantly louder and also slower.

Hazel from Coffee Alchemy did the ultimate MOD on the BNZ, she changed it to Stepless by using a rubber ring underneath the adjustment collar. Doserless (using a Mazzer mini chute) and installed a timer and foot activated switch. Its really a piece of engineering marvel.

Comment

BNZ always frustrated me quite a bit in summer, overheating and what not, leading to this stupid situation where it doesnt even bother turning on. Like some cut off switch that it activates at a certain temp.

But.. then again, it taught me how to grind in advance a little if its flat out busy. Its a great grinder nonetheless, I especially enjoy how easy it is to keep it clean.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F626F7E796C7F0D0 link=1250063301/12#12 date=1253446348
                            BNZ always frustrated me quite a bit in summer, overheating and what not, leading to this stupid situation where it doesnt even bother turning on. Like some cut off switch that it activates at a certain temp.
                            Wow, how much coffees were you doing to overheat the BNZ? We do 10-12 Kilos a day and it has never bothered the BNZ. Are you sure you were using a Conical? or have the original blades? By the way it takes about 6 seconds to grind for a triple basket so I never had to grind in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by 64595445425744360 link=1250063301/12#12 date=1253446348

But.. then again, it taught me how to grind in advance a little if its flat out busy. Its a great grinder nonetheless, I especially enjoy how easy it is to keep it clean.
                              Beg to disagree. Not the grinder frustrating you, it your supervisor or cafe manager or owner that doesnt seem to have twigged to call your supplier and seek advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X