• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Grinder - Isomac Granmicinino V Rocky Rancilio

Hi Folks,
    This is my first post so be gentle ;D
    Im definitely a beer snob and Im trying hard to become a coffee snob :P
    Im looking at purchasing my first grinder. High on my list, and within my budget, are the Isomac Granmicinino and Rocky Rancilio. Both seem very similar but the Rocky appears much more popular. Is there a reason? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    ps Im after a doserless. And Im a tech-head so I love fiddly and fine tuning

Cheers
    Brewman

Re: First Grinder - Isomac Granmicinino V Rocky Rancilio

Personally I prefer the Granmacinino based on the 48mm conical burrset, and the fact that theyre both stepped anyway.

however, Id go for the cheaper, holdwithonehandandgrindwiththeother, Ascaso i-Mini. not quiet, not refined, but it punches far above its weight, and is stepless and doserless.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A07060D170A171A630 link=1250319221/1#1 date=1250356423
      Personally I prefer the Granmacinino based on the 48mm conical burrset, and the fact that theyre both stepped anyway.

however, Id go for the cheaper, holdwithonehandandgrindwiththeother, Ascaso i-Mini. not quiet, not refined, but it punches far above its weight, and is stepless and doserless.
      Yes and no....Most small conicals use the tre spade burr set and the upper burr is typically plastic mounted. This puts them in a class well below the Rocky- the appliance class.

Comment

Hi 2MCM,
        You wrote
        Yes and no....Most small conicals use the tre spade burr set and the upper burr is typically plastic mounted. This puts them in a class well below the Rocky- the appliance class.
        Whichever class,
        what are the preformance issues?
        Would you have any comments along these lines?
        Consistancy of grind?
        ease of emptying grind path between grinds?
        grind quality (as relates to the cup)?
        Mess?
        Noise?
        Longevity?

Kind Regards
        Lindsay

Comment

I had a friend who was using an Isomac grinder with a Silvia. We compared it with my Cunill El Tranquillo ( relatively similar to the Rocky but faster and bigger and looks more like the Dark Tower in Lord of the Rings - I have both grinders) as to both look and feel of the grind, the appearance of the pour/ extraction as well as the flavour.
          The Isomac had a fluffy looking grind. The pour appeared more stripy and was harder to dial in just right. The flavour of the Isomac compared to the Cunill? Well my friend said, "Im going to have to look for another grinder- I didnt think it would make that much difference."
          Add to that that some people say the Rocky is a step up form the Cunill...
          Brett

Comment

Hi Lindsay,

There are 2 sticky items at the top of this section- info and reviews and Mals choosing a grinder thread.

Have a read as most of your questions are answered there and it will save a mini thesis and renivention of the wheel

With grinders- you gets what you pays for....

Comment

I have a Lux currently which I love, but my wife and baby hate: NOISE!!! Can anyone (sponsors) give a db noise comparison for the quietest grinder in this class under load? This may also impact Brewmans choice... Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, this is what I was looking for. keep it coming

Originally posted by 237C647279727E777774747C707F110 link=1250319221/2#2 date=1250369677
                So are you saying that the Isomac has a plastic mounted top bur set or that the tre spade burr (which Im assuming means a three pronged burr) is not as good as "standard" conical burr?

Originally posted by 7D787F756270686370110 link=1250319221/3#3 date=1250377186
                Whichever class,
                what are the preformance issues?
                Would you have any comments along these lines?
                Consistancy of grind?
                ease of emptying grind path between grinds?
                grind quality (as relates to the cup)?
                Mess?
                Noise?
                Longevity?

Kind Regards
                Lindsay
                My prime consideration is the grind cquality with longevity holding down major points as well. Everything else is a luxury at this stage that will only be taken into consideration if the major points are equivalent

Originally posted by 237C647279727E777774747C707F110 link=1250319221/5#5 date=1250380056
                There are 2 sticky items at the top of this section- info and reviews and Mals choosing a grinder thread.

Have a read as most of your questions are answered there and it will save a mini thesis and renivention of the wheel Wink

With grinders- you gets what you pays for....
                If I was allowed, Id jump straight in and buy a Mazzer mini knowing that itd see its way into my will but my wife has Scottish heritage $700+ is out of the question at this stage Give me a while to ween her onto better coffee and Im sure I can get her to change her funding priorities ;D

Comment

Grinders which fall into the appliance class- pretty much anything under the price of a rocky generally use the tre spade burr set- a cheap conical set in which the top burr is often plastic mounted. They are not long lived. You use an appliance for a while and then generally chuck it out as its not viable to repair it once it has had it.

A Rocky is much more commercial in construction with the top flat burr in a metal burr carrier which does last. Keep an eye out int he hardware for sale section as these often become avaialable and $300 or so will get you a pre-loved CS rocky.

As for conicals, they become good when you have $2k to play with.

2mcm

Comment

If the grinder is going to be used for a single brewing method Id also recommend looking at the Ascaso/Innova i1.This is a stepless grinder and has a brass burr carrier,they go for the same or less $ than a Rocky.
                    Jamie

Comment

I was very dissappointed with the Isomac. Wouldnt go fine enough for our darkest roast. Very very noisy. Havent tried the Rocky much but i found the Sunbeam to be both cheaper and superior to the Isomac.

Comment

Working...
                      X