emo 480 shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emo 480 shims

Hi all, Ive been reading all the posts re modding the 480 and thought it was about time I had a look at mine since Im grinding on # 2. Apart from being a clogged up everything else is in order with minimal play in the main shaft. I pulled the bottom burr off and discovered no shims at all ( apart from the two washers that run on the ball race ). Looking at the breakdown of parts from other posts I have always assumed that they had at least one? Anyway I decided to shim the bottom burr up and discovered a pretty good way to do it without waiting for sunbeam. I used a set of feeler gauges (used to be a mechanic) which are perfect for two reasons.1 They already have the hole for dog drive and 2 you have a massive selection with step ups in thousands of an inch. I used a 2 thou strip with great results ( now grinding on 7) but wil try a 5 thou strip tomorrow. They are a little bit tricky to drill but clamping between 2 pieces of thin timber worked great. You can buy cheapy feeler gauges from any auto store.

Re: emo 480 shims

Originally posted by 202136362D28213C440 link=1250322960/0#0 date=1250322960
    Hi all, Ive been reading all the posts re modding the 480 and thought it was about time I had a look at mine since Im grinding on # 2. Apart from being a clogged up everything else is in order with minimal play in the main shaft. I pulled the bottom burr off and discovered no shims at all ( apart from the two washers that run on the ball race ). Looking at the breakdown of parts from other posts I have always assumed that they had at least one? Anyway I decided to shim the bottom burr up and discovered a pretty good way to do it without waiting for sunbeam. I used a set of feeler gauges (used to be a mechanic) which are perfect for two reasons.1 They already have the hole for dog drive and 2 you have a massive selection with step ups in thousands of an inch. I used a 2 thou strip with great results ( now grinding on 7) but wil try a 5 thou strip tomorrow. They are a little bit tricky to drill but clamping between 2 pieces of thin timber worked great. You can buy cheapy feeler gauges from any auto store.
    Yea I have made some shims up from some 5 thousands of an inch shim sheets; which I got from RepCo.. The old C type pattern and it slips in cleanly and allows for teh drive pin..

Tried som 20 Thou but that was too thick ;D

Feeler gauges is a great effort if ya have an old set around... Good thinking..

Comment

Ill let you know how the 5 thou shims go

Comment

The feeler guages are a clever idea and cheap, good thinking

Comment

Working...
        X