Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need more bling!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need more bling!

    After a coffee journey of less than 5 months which started with a SB EM4800 I am now the proud owner of an ECM Giotto & a Compak K3 Elite.

    I have not yet even poured a shot on the Giotto but will do so tonight after the new shower screen & seal arrived today from Coffee Parts today (awesome service!)

    As good a grinder as the K3 Elite is, I just don’t think it’s the grinder for me.

    My issues are:

    1. This is my first doser grinder and Ive discovered Im a doserless kinda guy. Want to go doserless again.
    2. As the title suggests, I’d also like something shiny to match the Giotto.
    3. K3 is huge, a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be before buying online. The big hopper doesn’t help but it also has a large footprint; as I suppose all doser grinders have.

    I’m planning on selling the K3 soon and hope to get ~$550-$600 considering it’s done about 2kg of coffee. Ideally I don’t want to spend anymore than that.

    From my research the options are:

    Ascaso i-mini
    ECA KS Doserless

    For the record, I’m not interested in the Isomac Granmacinino; I owned one and found the amount of grounds remaining in the chute quite annoying. The Compak K3 Touch could also be in there but I guess it’s not much smaller than the K3 Elite.

    Anyone think of another grinder I should be considering, or have reasons for choosing one of the above?

    Should I just bite the bullet and get a Macap M4

  • #2
    Re: Need more bling!

    Originally posted by 4C4D47544A4F55260 link=1250573364/0#0 date=1250573364
    After a coffee journey of less than 5 months which started with a SB EM4800 I am now the proud owner of an ECM Giotto & a Compak K3 Elite.

    I have not yet even poured a shot on the Giotto but will do so tonight after the new shower screen & seal arrived today from Coffee Parts today (awesome service!)

    As good a grinder as the K3 Elite is, I just don’t think it’s the grinder for me.

    My issues are:

    1. This is my first doser grinder and Ive discovered Im a doserless kinda guy.  Want to go doserless again.
    2. As the title suggests, I’d also like something shiny to match the Giotto.
    3. K3 is huge, a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be before buying online. The big hopper doesn’t help but it also has a large footprint; as I suppose all doser grinders have.

    I’m planning on selling the K3 soon and hope to get ~$550-$600 considering it’s done about 2kg of coffee.  Ideally I don’t want to spend anymore than that.

    From my research the options are:

    Ascaso i-mini
    ECA KS Doserless

    For the record, I’m not interested in the Isomac Granmacinino; I owned one and found the amount of grounds remaining in the chute quite annoying.  The Compak K3 Touch could also be in there but I guess it’s not much smaller than the K3 Elite.

    Anyone think of another grinder I should be considering, or have reasons for choosing one of the above?

    Should I just bite the bullet and get a Macap M4
    If the issue with the granmac is the amount of grinds in the chute, the i-mini may not be suitable either - it can get pretty full of grinds up in that chute too. Otherwise, I like mine. Compact n cute, good, fluffy, even grind and fine enough for my purposes.
    Got through Di Bartoli, so maybe this sponsor or another closer to you (?) could demo for you?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need more bling!

      Hi melicious,

      Thanks for the input. I wish we had more sponsors here in Adelaide. I believe we only have The Coffee Barun. I should say only because they have a reputation of being one of the best, if not the best roasters in Adelaide. Unfortunately they dont sell any of the grinders Im interested in.

      Come to think of it, I dont remember seeing the i-mini anywhere in Adelaide! I bought the K3 Elite without seeing it in the flesh and dont want to make that mistake again. Naturally a demo is even better!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need more bling!

        Have you considered a Rocky doserless, CJ? Just under $500, built like a tank, probably a step up from the i-mini (?). Mark Barun appears to have them. From what Ive seen, its a good grinder, although the d/l clumps a bit. Might be worth having a look at.

        Otherwise a Robur E - oh, I forgot, probably a bit big. :

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need more bling!

          If you dont want to move backwards from the K3, and you want doserless and you want bling and you want something not too large then the Macap M4D appears to tick all of your boxes. However, $$ and I wonder if grind quality is any better than what you are getting with the K3 now? You might have to deal with some minor clumping once in a while, whereas right now you are basically "clump free". M4D is probably where I would go next if I went back to doserless but I cant justify the extra $500>$600.  My version of the K3 Elite has bling enough and not too tall with optional mini hopper

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need more bling!

            Thanks for your thoughts Greg & Buschy.
            Someone has already contacted me regarding a M4D which sounds very tempting.

            No doubt the Rocky is a great grinder in its price range (have never used one myself but that many CS members cannot be wrong!)
            As silly as it may sound, I just want something shiny. Its particularly silly when you consider how old and daggy our kitchen is!

            I should probably try living with the K3 for a little while. Like I mentioned in the OP, I havent even combined it with the Giotto yet. That will change in about an hour when I get home!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need more bling!

              stick with the doser for a few more weeks, it might grow on you. Try using a measure and putting only enough beans in the top to make your coffee, that way you can grind away while doing other things like warming cups etc.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need more bling!

                THe K3 Elite popcorns if you do that - if youre after doserless for the same money, I recommend the ECA KS as a nice solid grinder which is IMO a direct replacement.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need more bling!

                  Hi Mel,

                  The i-mini is a massive step down- think sexy Sunbeam- and I wouldnt swap a K3E for a KS as it will be way slower and also has a stepped grind adjustment. I have experienced times when I required something between two steps. I see the KS as a more convenient Rocky with bling, but less mass. Its a domestic grinder. The rocky is more commercial but in a domestic size body.

                  If space is an issue, you have to compromise- but if you want the next level in doserless, youll have to head towards M4D territory.

                  2mcm

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need more bling!

                    Originally posted by 154A52444F4448414142424A4649270 link=1250573364/8#8 date=1250583815

                    If space is an issue, you have to compromise- but if you want the next level in doserless, youll have to head towards M4D territory.

                    2mcm
                    Thats what Ive now realised.

                    Any tips on getting the right amount of ground coffee in the doser? Is it something you just get the hang of over time?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need more bling!

                      Originally posted by 0B0A00130D0812610 link=1250573364/9#9 date=1250590884
                      Any tips on getting the right amount of ground coffee in the doser?Is it something you just get the hang of over time?
                      If in a hurry, by quick rough estimate free pour into the hopper (and end up wasting a few gms), or, if you have 5 seconds to spare and can be bothered getting the Salter digital scales out of the cupboard, weigh before putting in the hopper. You do get the hang of it, although I generally do the first method and end up wasting a bit.

                      With a grinder as nice as the K3, maybe persist a bit more and see if it gets more comfortable. And a doser is definitely an advantage when making multiple coffees.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need more bling!

                        Start flicking the handle as soon as you start grinding, when the baskets nearly full turn it off. Youll soon get a feel for it even if you are wasting a bit of coffee to start with.

                        re popcorning with pre-measured amount. Most grinders popcorn, its up to the user whether they think its an issue. If you cant notice a difference in the cup then I would suggst its not an issue.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Need more bling!

                          From memory the Compak tall hopper also has a little "table" that sits near the base of the hopper funnel. Typically I fill until beans reach just under the table top for 2 double baskets. The K3 will not sweep to the right too much if you start "thwaking" as soon as you turn the grinder on. I pull the lever around 7 times fairly quickly, rest for a second, then repeat until there is a nice little pyramid below. The advantage of the Elite doser is that it sweeps very clean after use with no mods needed. I have found only a few grinds and really no need for vacuuming.

                          Just noticed I typed too slow....  ;D

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Need more bling!

                            Originally posted by 3E26232336270C3E323D6564530 link=1250573364/11#11 date=1250593015
                            Start flicking the handle as soon as you start grinding, when the baskets nearly full turn it off. Youll soon get a feel for it even if you are wasting a bit of coffee to start with.
                            I always wondered why Ive seen people thwack so quickly on YouTube videos! I tried that this morning and it was easier than I thought.

                            I then made 6 flat whites for the tradies at my brothers house around the corner. The doser certainly came in handy for that!

                            I will follow the advice of several on here and stick with the K3E for a bit longer....its starting to grow on me already!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Need more bling!

                              tbh apart from the timer & faster grind speed, Im not sure why youd get a M4D over a ECA KS. Id stick with the K3E though, its certainly an above-average grinder and it should grow on you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X