Breville BCG450 Grinder - Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BCG450 Grinder - Any good?

My trusty 5 year old Uk purchased coffee grinder gave up the ghost at the weekend so as a surprise my wife popped into the Good Guys today and bought me a Brevile BCG450 Grinder in brushed stainless steel; a nice thought.

I myself was leaning towards the Sunbeam Cafe Series with the 5 year warranty on the motor which does seem to get good review. I would have liked the Rancillo but cant stretch that far at the moment and dont want to miss out on good coffee while I save!

However, we have an unopened Breville and I have not yet been able to find anywhere on the site or really on the web that has any reviews of the product and would very much appreciate any thoughts you guys have. Is it a good entry level grinder?

cheers

Marty

Re: Breville BCG450 Grinder - Any good?

Hi Marty. What sort of machine are you using the grinder with?
    If you can, I would return the Breville and replace with a Sunbeam EM0450 or EM0480.

Im surprised you havent been able to find any reviews on the Breville. If you use the search function above you should be able to find out about it from this site. Essentially this grinder does not grind fine enough for espresso out of the box and needs a simple modification. However this modification will void your warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by 0A0B01120C0913600 link=1250686980/1#1 date=1250688122
      Hi Marty.  What sort of machine are you using the grinder with?
      If you can, I would return the Breville and replace with a Sunbeam EM0450 or EM0480.

Im surprised you havent been able to find any reviews on the Breville.  If you use the search function above you should be able to find out about it from this site.  Essentially this grinder does not grind fine enough for espresso out of the box and needs a simple modification.  However this modification will void your warranty.
      Thanks for the quick reply, I have a Gaggia Classic .

Maybe my search was too specific, I used the "Breville BCG450" but it didnt turn up much and then Breville Grinder and that only hit a few. Ill give it a few more tries :-/ .

Comment

When you search on this site make sure you use the search button at the top left of page (not the blank area at the top right of page with the magnifying glass). Also, make sure you change the default search period from 1 week to a longer period.

Comment

Originally posted by 21202A392722384B0 link=1250686980/3#3 date=1250689169
          When you search on this site make sure you use the search button at the top left of page (not the blank area at the top right of page with the magnifying glass). Also, make sure you change the default search period from 1 week to a longer period.
          Hahaha! I feel so stoopid :-[

I was using the quick search but then went to the search page and found exactly what you have pointed out, so thankyou for that .

Seems like its not that great from what I can gather and needs modding to get anything decent out of it. Maybe the Sunbeam EM0480 will be the better bet...

Comment

Dont worry I think weve all made that mistake!

If it doesnt offend your wife, I would recommend returning and replacing with one of the sunbeam models.

On second thoughts, do the swap even if it does offend your wife. If she loves coffee then shell come around.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D5C56455B5E44370 link=1250686980/5#5 date=1250690213
              Dont worry I think weve all made that mistake!

If it doesnt offend your wife, I would recommend returning and replacing with one of the sunbeam models.  

On second thoughts, do the swap even if it does offend your wife. If she loves coffee then shell come around.
              She does indeed, thats why she bought a new one!!! Ill see if she can take it back tomorrow and get the Sunbeam EM0480

Comment

The EM0450 is cheaper and the same grinder with a different exterior. On the other hand, the EM0480 looks nice next to the Classic.
                The pic is from this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1247836425/7#7

Comment

if she cant take it back, I might make an offer on it as a cupping grinder for me - feel free to shoot me a PM with how much youd want for it.

cheers,

John.

Comment

..if anyones interested they have these grinders for $80 at the Breville seconds shop in Redfern st Redfern or Abercrombie St ( near Dog racing place).... 1 yr warranty. ex display or repair...Ive bought a fair few things from these shops and never had a problem

Comment

I may be a classic klutz but I have totally mucked up my BCG450.  I set out to modify it as I too found the grind to be too course. I followed the excellent instructions to dismantle the beast and remove the offending plastic lug.  I even managed to reassemble without any spare parts left over ;D.  The grind was certainly finer but still not fine enough. After two batches the thing jammed tight and I was unable to remove the grinders to clear the jam.

On a positive side this provided a strong excuse for an upgrade in grinders and this of course was justification for replacing the old ESP86 coffee machine.  Result a Silvia and Rocker combo - now what modifications can I make to these?  (Just joking .

Comment

Working...
                      X