Mazzer Major Mods - Work in Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer Major Mods - Work in Progress

I may have a project soon but for the time being I will keep it under my hat

However I am looking for a user manual and or a service manual for a Mazzer Major Grinder

Can someone help with a link or PM me for my email details

Also any tips good or bad for this grinder with regards to the Mazzer Major

Now if you had the chance to mod??

What would you mod on the Mazzer Major to make an already great grinder.
    A fantastic grinder

And finally smaller hopper suggestions

The biggest mod I am thinking of is to convert it to a doser-less

I do have a list of ideas so far but will see other suggestions first

Many Thanks

KK

Re: Mazzer Major Mods - Work in Progress

Doserless is fairly easy, just need to buy a robur-e funnel.

as for mod, id suggest the old ground waterfall technique using squared wire shaped to cut clumps in 2 as they fall. Id also add a timer mod // or leave it dosered and do a foot pedal mod. I think foot pedal + doserless would be too hairy (had this discussion about other grinders today!)

Comment

Id whip of the doser and replace it with either a Anfim doser or possibly a Mazzer doserless funnel and fit it with a delta timer (industrial timer accurate to .001 seconds). None are cheap but you asked what I would do to make it fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by 74584B4D50585566745657525C40390 link=1250736066/2#2 date=1250762358
        Mazzer doserless funnel and fit it with a delta timer (industrial timer accurate to .001 seconds). None are cheap but you asked what I would do to make it fantastic.  
        Thanks for the replies

Yes a timer mod is in the plans and AM does not know it yet but he is going to help me with it  
        Just need to ask him nicely and bribe him with Greek sweets  

Can I source a funnel kit in Australia
        I have seen such a kit from the US but for a Mini

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 0D2920202323190D29352B29460 link=1250736066/3#3 date=1250766545
          You can....at a price...Last I heard, circa $340

Comment

Originally posted by 673820363D363A3333303038343B550 link=1250736066/4#4 date=1250766727
            Originally posted by 0D2920202323190D29352B29460 link=1250736066/3#3 date=1250766545
            You can....at a price...Last I heard, circa $340  
            Hey 2mcm is that the funnel kit with electronic control
            or just the funnel + fitting hardware

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 73575E5E5D5D6773574B5557380 link=1250736066/5#5 date=1250767193
              Hey 2mcm is that the funnel kit with electronic control
              or just the funnel + fitting hardware  
              Just the funnel KK. Perhaps it would be cheaper to sell yours and buy a Major-e and then modify it if you have a hankering? :-?

Comment

Well I have confirmed it
                The Mazzer Major grinder is mine
                (& no its not from evil bay)
                Its a friend of a relative of a friend sort of deal
                14 months old and stored for last 2 months
                Mocha in colour
                Huge hopper

Pick it up in the morning

Is it an upgrade from the M4D ?

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 7A5E575754546E7A5E425C5E310 link=1250736066/7#7 date=1250769493
                  Is it an upgrade from the M4D ?

KK
                  Great news mate.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Neither grinder is comparable in my view, differences are too great. You will be impressed by the speed of the Major though and as with all Mazzers, they are very well made.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A253D2B202B272E2E2D2D252926480 link=1250736066/6#6 date=1250768290
                    Just the funnel KK. Perhaps it would be cheaper to sell yours and buy a Major-e and then modify it if you have a hankering?Huh

I could keep it as a doser model for a while and

1) tame it with that plastic strip mod at the doser exit
                    2) sweeper mod

I was contemplating designing a doser-less mod that actualy fits inside the doser

After removing the sweeper
                    My idea is to couple a slide at the burr side exit to  let the grounds slide to the exit point at the bottom of the doser chamber and ground coffee fall gently into the group handle

Dont know if that will work but its worth a try

Originally posted by 0C21252924480 link=1250736066/8#8 date=1250770470
                    Great news mate.... Smiley

Neither grinder is comparable in my view, differences are too great. You will be impressed by the speed of the Major though and as with all Mazzers, they are very well made.... Cool

Mal.  
                    Thanks Mal, it was a chance I could not refuse on this near new grinder
                    I dont have height restrictions in our kitchen

However I also love the M4D

KK

Comment

I went early this morning to collect the near new Mazzer Major grinder

Just as a perspective
                      Here is a photo next to the Gatatea and the M4D

What is the grinder colour called - mocha? coffee?

Its all working fine
                      I have noticed that there is a cut off switch that is activated when the hopper is removed

So far I have made 2 mods but yet to be fitted
                      1) Doser exit chute

2) Thwack handle soft stop so it doesnt hit steel to steel in the rest position  

KK

Comment

KK,

I have recently done that exact doser exit mod on my mini and have seen vastly improved results in throw.

Looks like its in great nik! From that photo it almost looks gun-metal!

Cheers,
                        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by 7C747B7D752F2A1E0 link=1250736066/11#11 date=1250814435
                          I have recently done that exact doser exit mod on my mini and have seen vastly improved results in throw.  
                          I have fitted it and it works just fine
                          The template I had was of the Super Jolly & I had to make it 2mm larger to suit the Major

Originally posted by 7C747B7D752F2A1E0 link=1250736066/11#11 date=1250814435
                          Looks like its in great nik! From that photo it almost looks gun-metal!
                          Its gunmetal but at certain angles it seems to have brown tones ??
                          And is in near new condition  
                          Originally posted by 577A7B706A776A671E0 link=1250736066/1#1 date=1250761822
                          as for mod, id suggest the old ground waterfall technique using squared wire shaped to cut clumps in 2 as they fall
                          Done that while the doser was off but only used one single strand of wire
                          This grinder throws out the ground coffee with force

Completed & fitted - Mod update
                          1) Doser exit mod special plastic chute
                          2) Wire at burr throat to cut grinds path in half
                          3) Clean sweep tape mod

Along with a general clean up but it was pretty good when I got it

Dialled it in and produced a beautiful fluffy grind  

And all the mods are working well

Will keep this set up until I get the urge to convert it to a doser-less

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 0A2E272724241E0A2E322C2E410 link=1250736066/9#9 date=1250771787
                            I was contemplating designing a doser-less mod that actualy fits inside the doser

My idea is to couple a slide at the burr side exit to  let the grounds slide to the exit point at the bottom of the doser chamber and ground coffee fall gently into the group handle
                            Yep, thats gunmetal colour. Only problem with this is that it doesnt create the nice vortex?

Comment

Originally posted by 0D20212A302D303D440 link=1250736066/13#13 date=1250844364
                              Originally posted by 0A2E272724241E0A2E322C2E410 link=1250736066/9#9 date=1250771787

Only problem with this is that it doesnt create the nice vortex?
                              If I can find a nice well shaped funnel 12 cm diameter that will be ideal

What style or name would one give such a shaped funnel ??

I can be original and make it out of turned timber
                              Who knows what my mind will think up as I have thousands of ideas daily

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X