Crazy mod?? adding a doser aseembly to a EM0480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy mod?? adding a doser aseembly to a EM0480

I am aware that there would be a few issues to overcome, but I do like a challenge.

Can anyone suggest some cheap(ish?) doser assemblys and maybe where to look for them?

Re: Crazy mod?? adding a doser aseembly to a EM0480

Why? what do you hope to achieve?

Comment

Yeah why bother adding something that will just retain grounds? The only thing Ive ever seen positive about a doser is if theyre used in a high volume area, allowing you to keep it say half full so you can crank out several shots per minute. Otherwise, like on a home level, I wouldnt want one on any grinder. Doserless is the only way to go for me... Some say the doser helps break up clumps.... so does a toothpick. Later!

Comment

My Sunbeam grinder is my only doserless one and I prefer a doser.

However, the EM0480 retains grounds in the path even before the chute.
        I dont see youd get any benefit from a doser addition mod.

Secondly, the Sunbeam is so light I doubt it could support a doser hanging off the front.

Comment

Originally posted by 746F66636870303332070 link=1250765408/2#2 date=1250774204
          Yeah why bother adding something that will just retain grounds? The only thing Ive ever seen positive about a doser is if theyre used in a high volume area, allowing you to keep it say half full so you can crank out several shots per minute. Otherwise, like on a home level, I wouldnt want one on any grinder. Doserless is the only way to go for me... Some say the doser helps break up clumps.... so does a toothpick. Later!  
          I have 2 Super Jollys and I would not have a grinder that does not have a doser. There is much reduced static (none in either of my 2 grinders where I live) and it dispenses the grounds smoothly into the group handle with no clumps. I do not grind and then dose, rather I work the doser lever the whole time I am grinding.

I will normally pull 4 to 6 doubles at a time so if I grind more than needed for a group handle full (I do use a hopper rather than measure out beans per shot) it is no big deal, they just go into the next shot.

As to retained grounds, I use a plastic chopstick to clean out the chute from the grind chamber to the doser and a small paint brush to knock down any stray grounds into the bottom of the doser where they are then dosed into a waiting group handle, there are no more old grounds in my grinders than a doserless unit the way I use them, so a doser can indeed be a handy device.

As to adding one to a grinder that does not have one, that should be a fun project. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 7C706365637869110 link=1250765408/0#0 date=1250765407
            I am aware that there would be a few issues to overcome, but I do like a challenge.

Can anyone suggest some cheap(ish?) doser assemblys and maybe where to look for them?
            Iberital Challenge dosers are from a simlilar style grinder and are very lightweight. might be a goer. Im not sure how you would get one though.

Comment

Originally posted by 212D3E383E25344C0 link=1250765408/0#0 date=1250765407

What about: Coffee hardware for sale/Wanted, unwanted doser anysort

Lindsay

Comment

Ease up fellas, he wasnt asking for the pros and cons, he was asking for advise on how to do it, we all have out opinions, but some people, like me for instance, get set in our ways, and a heard of wild horses wont stop them from achieving their task......

Comment

Working...
                X