Iberital Grinder End play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iberital Grinder End play?

I just opened up my iberital grinder for cleaning and noticed that the conical grinding burr shaft has about 1.5mm free play up and down. Is this normal? At this stage Im assuming it is as when the grinder is started the thrust pushes the grinding burr up towards the stator burr. Never really took notice before and would explain why you should be grinding at full speed rather than short bursts. Would also explain why the inside of the grinder eventually builds up with grinds as the grinds sweeper when running also lifts off the bottom of grinding chamber thus leaving behind a layer of grinds.

Thanks
    coffee_drinker

Re: Iberital Grinder End play?

Originally posted by 5C5059595A5A605B4D5651545A4D3F0 link=1250990224/0#0 date=1250990224
    I just opened up my iberital grinder for cleaning and noticed that the conical grinding burr shaft has about 1.5mm free play up and down. Is this normal?
    In a word c_d....

No!

I cant imagine how it would be possible to achieve either grind size accuracy or consistency with any end-play. Normally, the load bearing that supports the shaft driving the burrs, would be a decent size ball-bearing that is securely attached to the shaft. This would prevent all axial movement and therefore allow for accurate grinding.

It may be that this bearing has failed in some way or that some other fixing of the bearing is coming adrift. It would definitely be worth while to have it checked out and repaired if possible.

All the best
    Mal.

Comment

I figured this might be case but thought it might have had something to do with the way the teeth mesh and not cause the gears to chew out. The iberital is not a direct drive. The driver gear is a thin long metal gear with small number of teeth (which would allow the gear to mesh as well as climb) and the driven part connected to the conical burr is a larger plastic gear(76). There is currently a washer that sits in between the driven plastic gear (76) and gear housing which it sits in.

I did have it stripped down today, but have since put it all back together. I didnt pull the conical burr gear off and didnt notice any broken bits but couldnt see if there was and what kind bearing there was. Possibly may need a washer of some kind to pack out the extra free play or the position bearing may well indeed have moved adrift.

May pull it apart again and pull off the conical gear and check the shaft and bearing. Im from Adelaide, and the grinder is out of warranty plus the shop i bought it from has been bought out by another company. Anyone recommend a local grinder repair person?

Comment

Originally posted by 6468616162625863756E696C6275070 link=1250990224/2#2 date=1251032943
        From Adelaide, and grinder would be out of warranty plus the shop i bought it from has been bought out by another company. Anyone recommend a local grinder repair person?
        Not directly, but The Coffee Barun should be able to steer you in the right direction, if they dont do it themselves.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 03362123132B3629252820440 link=1250990224/3#3 date=1251033156
          Originally posted by 6468616162625863756E696C6275070 link=1250990224/2#2 date=1251032943
          From Adelaide, and grinder would be out of warranty plus the shop i bought it from has been bought out by another company. Anyone recommend a local grinder repair person?
          Not directly, but The Coffee Barun should be able to steer you in the right direction, if they dont do it themselves.

Greg
          Yeah, they were the first place i thought of but not so sure as far as repairs and maintenance that they would do themselves. Guess i can give them a try. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by 3E323B3B383802392F343336382F5D0 link=1250990224/2#2 date=1251032943
            I figured this might be case but thought it might have had something to do with the way the teeth mesh and not cause the gears to chew out. The iberital is not a direct drive. The driver gear is a thin long metal gear with small number of teeth (which would allow the gear to mesh as well as climb) and the driven part connected to the conical burr is a larger plastic gear(76). There is currently a washer that sits in between the driven plastic gear (76) and gear housing which it sits in.
            Yes mate,

I realise all of that. The shaft to which the rotating burr is attached should be supported by a decent ball bearing; there shouldnt be any need for packing to take up the slack but if this is possible without causing any additional problems, it might get you out of trouble in the interim.

All the best
            Mal.

P.S.
            Just found a parts diagram for the Challenge and from that, it doesnt appear to have a separate bearing to carry the load of the grinding burrs so perhaps there is something molded into the so-called "Motor Support" which does duty as a load/thrust bearing. A pity if this is the case as it will wear out over time and produce the end-play youve observed. Perhaps if you can take this assembly to a local Repco dealer or similar, they may be able to supply you with some appropriate shimming washers. This will be an ongoing task of course, as it continues to wear out, you will have to add additional shims.

Heres a link to the Parts Diagram.... http://www.iberital.com/iberital/MOLINOS/IBERITAL.pdf

Comment

thanks for the link Mal.

Yes, diagram for the "motor support" is not detailed enough to determine how the grinding burr shaft is supported. At a guess i would say it would be a brass bush (instead of a bearing). Guess ill have to take to take it apart again and pull the burrs off to see exactly how the shaft is supported.

Would not of expected something like this wear out already. Grinder is approx 2.5 years old and mainly used on weekend to make a couple coffees a day. This is quite a popular grinder for home use so surely if this was a common problem with this (and possibly all other similar conical burr grinders) that somone/somewhere would have further info regarding an issue such as this.

Anyone else familiar with the iberital grinding burr shaft assembly?

Comment

Done some further investigating. The free play ive described is actually by design. This is so that the whole grinding burr drive train does not bind up and the grinding star does not drag against the base of the grinding chamber which would put extra load on the motor. The grinding star also sits up off the base of the chamber so that when the conical burr is tightened it does not squash the grinding star against the grinding chamber which would again put extra load/strain on motor and allow the burr to spin quite freely.
                [img][/img]

Comment

Drive shaft pushed up

[img][/img]

Comment

I guess shimming it will eliminate some and or most of the free play and improve the sweeping of grinds by the grinding star. Cant be shimmed too tight otherwise its likely to put extra load/drag on the motor. In theory with the correct thickness shim it should still spin freely enough with little to no free play and possibly sweep out the grinding chamber a little better.

Comment

Hmmm,

A strange one..... Have to wonder how this design manages to maintain an accurate burr relationship to ensure grounds of a consistent size. I know with my Lux grinder, there was absolutely no end-play on the rotating burr and as a result, there was excellent control over the grind particle size.

I guess if it works, it works and just leave it alone to do its job. Doesnt engender a lot of faith in the design though... :-?

All the best mate,
                      Mal.

Comment

Working...
                      X