re: removing doser from rr45?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re: removing doser from rr45?

Just wondering if it is possible to remove doser from rr45 and buy or make a chute to direct coffee to group handle.

I dont really like the coffee just sitting in the doser

If there is already a thread - please re direct me

Thanks

Re: removing doser from rr45?

Originally posted by 0229271F0A2F282E400 link=1251536813/0#0 date=1251536813
    Just wondering if it is possible to remove doser from rr45 and buy or make a chute to direct coffee to group handle.

I dont really like the coffee just sitting in the doser

Thanks
    Hi bigjohn

Technically possible- yes...

Another option is to learn how to free dose, grinding only as much as you need. Its what they do in good cafes...

As to buying bits, Id suggest youd be better off to sell your grinder and buy one whcih you consider to be more suitable if the doser is a deal breaker...

Good luck!

2mcm

Comment

Hey BJ

is yours the flatburr? how is it for static in the doser?

i have a flat burr model and am considering the same idea. the doser on mine generates so much static the grinds stick to the top half of the doser, you would think it was iron filings and a magnet....
      they hardly fall to be able to be dosed on a grind on demand

i have not been using mine, as you know they are a fair size beast but thinking i will as my current grinder is limiting grind quality i think.

i was thinking of just making a simple chute as well, I need to take the doser off for a look. I was thinking of the possibility of a copper pipe elbow (plumbing supplies / bunnings) or something like that?

i will put up a pick without the doser soon now

heres the hole, mine also had a little black bit of plastic that stopped the grinds going inside and was flush with the case.
      doser comes off well on mine, 2 screws in top (lift off top ring and plastic window) and then a allen key inside the dosing chamber that holds the rest to the case.

now to go looking around the kitchen for something to fit in that hole.... i also think it needs new burrs they dont feel sharp

this is what mine looks like

Comment

heres the progress Rosi meets mazzer ??? lol  
        has not been tested as it too late for coffee...

also BigJohn if yours is the same as mine and has the micro switch doser full thing in the lid you will need to change the wiring a little if you take the lid off completely. Mine was dead simple and just needed to jump a couple of wires around to get rid of the micro switch connections / relay in the bottom of the unit, no cutting of any wires at all
        Just need a grommet plug to fill the hole the lid wires went in the top

now sure if you look close you can see the tape holding the funnel on, but with a little filing and massage its going to fit in the groove that the doser window uses . I was giggling to my self when i had this idea.

I reckon a trip to the local kitchen supply store will yield a nice stainless steel funnel.

yeah and the scotch bottle is getting low thats where my best ideas come from... ;D

Comment

Are you getting any issues with Static?

Comment

Theres no way in the world the coffee will go down that hole.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E56535346577C4E424D1514230 link=1251536813/5#5 date=1251597616
              Theres no way in the world the coffee will go down that hole.
              dont be a hater muppet man..... you gotta give me some credit for my efforts....

on grinding for a double basket the 1st few times 80-90% of coffee dropped right down into my Vegemite jar. I just did enouh for 2 doubles and it clogged the funnel after about the 1st double dropped down.

i fully intended to cut the bottom of a funnel to open up the hole to say 10-20 cent coin? (start small work up) Then you can just give it a tap tap on the side and it will drop quick (the angle is not steep enough) i was thinking a more cone shape like the mazzer doserless

i want a stainless one anyway and this one was at hand and actually could be trimmed to fit perfectly. I was thinking of trying to get something that i can fit over (under) the ring so it can be attached properly?

yes getting some static still going to try running an earth down to the wiring to see if it helps?. not sure if a metal funnel will be better or worse? You can see the static effect on the metal ring, its not as bad as it has been but.

it throws hard to the right, a little deflector added might help on the chute?

also a bathroom plug fits perfect in the top of the burr holder, lets you put ample in for a double and no or little popcorning just need a black plug to make it look better.
              might go up to the local $2 shop see if they have any funnels
              then next step is a Ghandle holder, there is a nice threaded bolt hole from the doser for it ready to be used  

heres some picks, beans where some Kenyans roasted in Hazchems Gene..... nice !!

Comment

Id be aiming for 20cent size too. I wonder how much an engineering shop might charge to cut, roll and spot weld a custom stainless funnel?

Comment

Originally posted by 2F37323227361D2F232C7475420 link=1251536813/7#7 date=1251600685
                  Id be aiming for 20cent size too. I wonder how much an engineering shop might charge to cut, roll and spot weld a custom stainless funnel?  
                  yeah crossed my mind, if i was still in WA could have got a fitter / fabricator to make me one easy on a mine site.... Sydney city is a bit harder to get a small one off job done or even find someone who does "mates rates"

be really good to get one rolled up that that fits the curve in the body to give that nice finish. maybe even slightly off center funnel that extends a little more out, more triangle shape. I dont know what to call it? slope out from body but straight down at the front?
                  this could give some more Ghandle room? but i think a normal one should be doable there is a fair amount of space for a holder and maybe some sort of small grinds drip tray. dont want to over engineer it anyway

cheers
                  Leeham

Comment

a macallan man eh?
                    i think its a real nice whiskey that most folks seem to like but now back OT

Comment

Mine is the same as that. I was thinking of something even simpler like the Rossi Deli style chute.

I like the doser when catering for large groups of people but it would be nice if the doser could be easily replaced with a chute for small volume coffee production.

Looking forward to seeing the prototype evolve Maheel - looking good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by 507B754D587D7A7C120 link=1251536813/10#10 date=1251607338
                        Mine is the same as that. I was thinking of something even simpler like the Rossi Deli style chute.

I like the doser when catering for large groups of people but it would be nice if the doser could be easily replaced with a chute for small volume coffee production.

Looking forward to seeing the prototype evolve Maheel - looking good so far.
                        The beauty about about a funnel as apposed to a chute is that you get a much cleaner drop into the portafilter and less mess. Also with this system you get easy access to the grind pathway so you can brush out old coffee. Looking at your grinder I was wondering if you have considered a clump breaker-upperer similar to mazzers. It may be simple to devise a device that easily mounts on those 2 screws and can be removed readily to brush the chute out?

Comment

Originally posted by 664D437B6E4B4C4A240 link=1251536813/10#10 date=1251607338

yeah good call, i agree about doser with bigger crowds, will have to keep it easy to swap back.....
                          xmas is coming and expecting a crowd...

current coffee is clump free, and this grinder really throws it out so it might "de-clump" on the fly. might be just this roast or bean?
                          but good idea, will look at a few methods

glad you started the thread BigJohn, this grinder is a lot quicker than my other little one and i now think better. It might stay on the bench for a while

Comment

I just found this RR45 OD (On demand) perhaps the chute could be ordered???

http://www.xaevir.com/brasiliausa/rr45-od-p116/

Comment

I also found this thread

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1248865133

Comment

Working...
                              X