Conical Grinder - Mechanical adjustment suggestions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conical Grinder - Mechanical adjustment suggestions needed

Does anyone have any experience (or suggestions) in mechanically adjusting conical grinders to allow a finer ground than the std adjustments?

I have a friend who mistakenly replaced (and sold) his Sunbeam EM0480 with a Cuisinart CBM-18A because of static issues with the Sunbeam. However he now cannot get the CBM-18A to grind fine enough, and before he throws it out is considering trying to adjust it mechanically to try improve the grind.

/me

Re: Conical Grinder - Mechanical adjustment suggestions needed

Originally posted by 1E2B3831383412590 link=1251676774/0#0 date=1251676774
    Does anyone have any experience (or suggestions) in mechanically adjusting conical grinders to allow a finer ground than the std adjustments?

I have a friend who mistakenly replaced (and sold) his Sunbeam EM0480 with a Cuisinart CBM-18A because of static issues with the Sunbeam. However he now cannot get the CBM-18A to grind fine enough, and before he throws it out is considering trying to adjust it mechanically to try improve the grind.

/me
    Hi Graham,

Hate to say it, but I think the best adjustment is achieved when the owner comes to the realisation that the grinder purchased is not suitable for the intended task..

My advice is for your buddy to move on and consider getting a real grinder

2mcm

Comment

I think he has come to that realisation and was out looking for a replacement this weekend, but asked me if I had any ideas. Personally I think he should have kept the Sunbeam  :

Comment

Hi Graham, since this model advertises itself as their "extra fine" grinder surely there is a case for returning it if it doesnt grind fine enough for espresso.

Comment

I found the same problem with the Sunbeam EM480 actually.

I purchased an EM6910 a couple of years ago when they first did the free grinder deal...after waiting 10 weeks for my grinder > it arrived completely uncallibrated. After a call to Sunbeam whos answer to all product faults is "You must not know what your doing" i had some washers sent to me which i placed underneath the lower burr.

That combined with some carefull tightening of the top bur got it back to roughly where it should have been in the first place. If you try this though it may void any warranty he might have? And you will want to use extremely fine washers..almost paper thin.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone - I had wondered whether a washer under the burr was an option, but not sure how dodgy that would be or easy to carry out. Will pass the info on to my buddy then its his problem  

Ive just realised I should have probably put this under the section on Grinders which I had looked for but somehow missed.  :-[

Comment

Gday Graham,
              I did a google search for Cuisinart mods and came up with this:
              http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack..._for_Espresso/
              It looks like similar advice as given by Luke G. Theres quite a few other links if your mate wants to have a search.
              Good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
              X