Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anfim/ECA BEST grinder setting

Hello all,
    Can all the BEST owners humor this noob who has just aquired a Anfim/ECA BEST grinder & Giotto PP and post your grind settings please.  I know that there are variables but if I could just get a feeling that Im near the money Id feel a whole lot better.

Thanks and cheers.
    Darryl

Re: Anfim/ECA BEST grinder setting

Hello Dazzler,

You may not want to hear this but it will be a number somewhere between 1 and 25. Grinder settings are specific to each grinder. Dose correctly to achieve the right pour and the grinder setting required will be the right one for your grinder....

Try this as a starting point http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm

2mcm

Comment

OK 2mcm,  I keep hearing this message so there must be something to it.  

I have to say though that it doesnt all together make sense (to me) that a (supposedly) precision, expensive piece of kit with an adjustment wheel that has 50 separate step settings can vary so wildly from each and every other (supposedly) precision, expensive pieces of the same kit?! :-?   These expensive grinders are purchased, after all, because they deliver a known, reliable grind.  Why then should they be so vastly different?  It says to me that there is no quality control of any of these devices (and by that I mean all grinders in general)?  .  

Sure, Im aware of other issues that can affect grind settings - bean type, freshness, humidity etc but to think that ALL of the same devices could be SO different is hard for me to accept.

Ill get off the soapbox now, I am only a noob after all and must respect those who are experienced in these things.  

Anyway, FWIW, my current setting for a decent shot, with current beans, is 4.0 which coincidentally (or maybe not!) is very close (3.5 I think) to what is shown on the BEST used in the link above by Scottie Callaghan. Just for the record, I went back to check this after I arrived at my setting.  Hmmm.... maybe should start a poll out of interest just to see what the real world actual variance is.... anyone interested?

Cheers.

Comment

It seems to be a common theme. Interestingly enough though the "start here" sticker on my Mazzer is pretty much spot on and depending on beans Im always within a couple of notches either side of it. This indicates to me that mazzers are produced pretty consistently.

I guess its possible that they placed this sticker after a bench test at the factory. I dont remember evidence of that when i bought it though.  

Comment

Originally posted by 61445F5F4940571711250 link=1252134824/2#2 date=1252216734
          OK 2mcm,I keep hearing this message so there must be something to it.

I have to say though that it doesnt all together make sense (to me) that a (supposedly) precision, expensive piece of kit with an adjustment wheel that has 50 separate step settings can vary so wildly from each and every other (supposedly) precision, expensive pieces of the same kit?! Huh These expensive grinders are purchased, after all, because they deliver a known, reliable grind.Why then should they be so vastly different?It says to me that there is no quality control of any of these devices (and by that I mean all grinders in general)?
          I see it as a lack of quality control ONLY around the assembly of the scale.

They still grind consistently.

In theory, if the quality is there in all other respects, a one notch adjustment on two machines, both dialled in but with different numbers showing, should give the same variation.

Comment

The top burr is attached to the top burr carrier. A numbered sticker is then wrapped around the burr carrier in the groove and it seems thats pretty much it.

2mcm

Comment

I know from expreience with my ECA KS that whenever I clean it and remove the top part (for cleaning) that it is near impossible to get it on at the exact same number when I screw it back on.

I suggest you tighten it as tight as you can then adjust coarser from there. Maybe a couple of full turns before you start grinding or you will just end up with very fine coffee suitable only for a greek/turkish coffee.

Just my 2cents..

Comment

As alluded to above by 2mcm, the difference will be coming primarily from the positioning of the numbered sticker when its stuck down to the top burr carrier. In terms of quality control of this sticker, as long as its not upside down or horribly crooked, thats probably all they care about.

Having said that though Ive also noticed a *slight* difference when I recently replaced my burrs. Where I was on 9.5 before, with the new burrs Im now at 12.5

Comment

All fair calls guys.  I appreciate the dialogue that this seems to have generated.  Thats what I like about this forum.  Its obviously frequented by passionate, like minded individuals who are here to help.  So thanks for the feedback .

While I *seem* to have my grind/tamp about right after many sinkers, Im still not happy with the result.  The pull is taking about the right time and the produced flow is slow and reasonably even but is definately not the expected honey/oozy flow with lots of blonding that I would expect.... Yes?  Ive adjusted the grinder incrementally both ways without changing my tamp technique and get an expected fast flow/no flow result so Im a little stumped as to what Im doing wrong.  I must have read every guide and tutorial and watched every you tube video about the subject.  Im also following all the recommendations for the Giotto ie group head and porta filter at temp, pre flush, etc. I did have a Sunbeam EM6900 for a couple of years before this investment so do have some prior experience in pulling OK shots.

Maybe its time to try some guaranteed freshly roasted beans! :-/

Any suggestions? (please be nice )

Comment

Originally posted by 674259594F46511117230 link=1252134824/8#8 date=1252324282
                    flow with lots of blonding that I would expect.... Yes?
                    Thats not a good thing

Maybe its time to try some guaranteed freshly roasted beans!
                    absolutely positively 100% correct, if you cant guarantee the roast date your p***ing into the wind, it will change every single variable.

Any suggestions
                    yeah, ill swap ya 5kg of freshly roasted beans for that GPP ......please :-[

Comment

yeah, ill swap ya 5kg of freshly roasted beans for that GPP ......please :-[
                      Yes I kinda thought someone might say something like that!

So WSully, new beans is the next step then?  Cheers for that suggestion.

Comment

Yeah dazzler, good to hear your happy with the swap ;D

yeah beans are the MOST important part, as that is what IS your end product, brown bay is a good start, if you really wanna treat grab some of Andys "Espresso WOW" its amazing! Then of coarse there is home roasting, but one step at a time! Lol

Comment

Yes, Ive been reading all the really positive reports about WOW so might have to place an order real soon...hmmm now seems like a good time in fact.  Thanks again for all the feedback.

Im off to bean bay!

Comment

Dazzler,

Ive read through the thread several times, but I cant see any mention of what, in my limited experience, would be 3 vital ingredients of obtaining the quality of shot youre searching for.

1) What dose are you using ? Have you, for example tried differing doses while using the same grind and tamp

2) Which bean are you using ?? IME, some bean and roast varieties are unlikely to produce the type of pour youre seeking.

3) Again, in my experience, some beans mature "post roast" INTO a thicker, more viscous type of pour. I have, for example just finished a kilo of locally roasted "Brazilian Delarisse" beans which matured stunningly from day 10 to day 24 post roast.
                            So much so that if Id commented on the beans at any time < 8 days from roast, I would have come to a completely different conclusion as to their quality.

Comment

Hi LRM,

Originally posted by 5C5944445C55425F455E545D515E300 link=1252134824/13#13 date=1252410280
                              1) What dose are you using ? Have you, for example tried differing doses while using the same grind and tamp
                              I have tried varying the dose right up to being unable to lock the handle (same tamp and grind)

Originally posted by 5C5944445C55425F455E545D515E300 link=1252134824/13#13 date=1252410280
                              2) Which bean are you using ?? IME, some bean and roast varieties are unlikely to produce the type of pour youre seeking.
                              This may be my issue as I am experimenting with a kilo bag of commercial Piazzo doro Cappuccino blend.  No roast date only a use by date (2010). Should I be embarrased?  :-[

Comment

Working...
                              X