Kitchen Aid grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Aid grinder

I was given a kitchen aid grinder as a present which i was pretty happy with until i used it. i cant get the grind anywhere near fine enough. I have read the manual which explains how to open the machine up and adjust the burrs even further than what it comes set with but that still doesnt cut it. Does anyone know of any links or similar that people have worked around this problem?
    thanks

Re: Kitchen Aid grinder

Originally posted by 5A45544342592D0 link=1259643334/0#0 date=1259643334
    I was given a kitchen aid grinder as a present which i was pretty happy with until i used it. i cant get the grind anywhere near fine enough. I have read the manual which explains how to open the machine up and adjust the burrs even further than what it comes set with but that still doesnt cut it. Does anyone know of any links or similar that people have worked around this problem?
    thanks
    Kitchen Aid is a brand..

What model and where are you located ?

Comment

I think there is only one KitchenAid grinder though AM

Specifications

Construction: Die cast metal
      Hardware: 5.7 cm conical grinding burr
      Controls: On/off toggle switch & grind control dial
      Capacities: 198 gram glass bean hopper, 241 gram glass grounds container
      Dimensions: 34.2 x 26 x 15.2 (cm)
      Weight: 4.5 kg
      Origin: USA
      15 precise grind levels, grinder operates at 450 RPMs ,includes cleaning brush & coffee scoop
      Just a question.

How do you know it isnt grinding fine enough, what symptoms are you experiencing?

Comment

Originally posted by 4046515A40475F5D340 link=1259643334/2#2 date=1259662399
        I think there is only one KitchenAid grinder though AM

Specifications

Construction: Die cast metal
        Hardware: 5.7 cm conical grinding burr
        Controls: On/off toggle switch & grind control dial
        Capacities: 198 gram glass bean hopper, 241 gram glass grounds container
        Dimensions: 34.2 x 26 x 15.2 (cm)
        Weight: 4.5 kg
        Origin: USA
        15 precise grind levels, grinder operates at 450 RPMs ,includes cleaning brush & coffee scoop
        Just a question.

How do you know it isnt grinding fine enough, what symptoms are you experiencing?
        Sorry a few more than ONE model..

That is for the KitchenAid Artisan Burr Coffee Grinder 5KCG100..

What about teh KitchenAid KPCG100ER Pro Line Burr Coffee

If ya go to the Kitchen Aid forums... There are lots of posts and modifications available..

1: Burrs are SS not a more suitable material..

2: Stepless mods and more..

3: Even a mod as to a Mazzer Mini burr swap for the Pro Line KitchenAid Grinder..

Just let Google do ya work for ya...

Comment

Yeah I have used a Pro Line grinder for about 3 years now and know the pros and cons of them. Out of the box its a good grinder. Even before the burr swap I was using mine with my Cremina lever machine with very good results, but mine is one of the first run units. I truly think the first fun of them are a bit better than the newer ones. The burrs on the first run just look and grind better. Much harder material based on what Ive seen. The newer batches have a "1" on the end of the serial number.

I have done every mod you could imagine on this thing and once all mods are done, including the burr swap, it is truly on par with most pro type grinders out there like the Mazzer Mini. The only thing the burr swap does is slow the grinding down a bit. Other than that it is well worth doing IMO.

I wouldnt suggest going out and buying at full price just to mod, but for those that have one already it is a worthy mod to attempt. I took my time, thought it all out and it works great. Overcame some of the issues others had. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by 243F36333820606362570 link=1259643334/4#4 date=1259793934
            Yeah I have used a Pro Line grinder for about 3 years now and know the pros and cons of them. Out of the box its a good grinder. Even before the burr swap I was using mine with my Cremina lever machine with very good results, but mine is one of the first run units. I truly think the first fun of them are a bit better than the newer ones. The burrs on the first run just look and grind better. Much harder material based on what Ive seen. The newer batches have a "1" on the end of the serial number.

I have done every mod you could imagine on this thing and once all mods are done, including the burr swap, it is truly on par with most pro type grinders out there like the Mazzer Mini. The only thing the burr swap does is slow the grinding down a bit. Other than that it is well worth doing IMO.

I wouldnt suggest going out and buying at full price just to mod, but for those that have one already it is a worthy mod to attempt. I took my time, thought it all out and it works great. Overcame some of the issues others had. Later!
            Great feedback.. And confirmation that the mods do work..

Comment

Ok. Great. Thanks guys.
              Im slightly hesitant modifying the machine as im not that handy when it comes to this kinda thing but its worth looking into.

Shadow745 do you have anymore info you could send me?
              appreciate the help

Comment

The burr swap does require some basic mechanical knowledge/skill. But if you take your time and think it out the process will go great. I used Mazzer Mini burrs which are about .5mm larger in diameter than the stock Pro Line burrs. Therefore the stationary burr channel must be slightly enlarged to overcome this. I think most people tried screwing the burr down without making this channel a bit larger and it causes the burr to become cocked a bit.

I might also look into the exact size of the Compak K-3 grinder burrs as they are 58mm as well. Just wondering if they are slightly smaller than the Mini burrs and also to ensure the rotation is the same.

E-mail me and I will send more info and pics on the burr swap via a reply. Later!

Comment

Ive just bought an Artisan 5KCG100 and even at the finest setting and with the extra adjustment available after removing the settings dial the grind is still too coarse for the Artisan espresso machine.

It was a christmas present for my wife and she is pretty ticked off at the unsuitability of an Artisan grinder and espresso machine. I cant return the grinder either as it was bought overseas where we spent christmas.

Ive googled for about 2 hrs for any mods but cant find anything. Does anyone have a link at all?

Cheers

Comment

Glenn66,

Even if no refund is available from the shop, I recommend you make your displeasure known to the KitchenAid company.

Greg

Comment

Well ive been in touch with Kitchenaid USA and the best they can come up with is that something might be caught between the burrs. I severly doubt this as the grind was too coarse right from the very first grind. I guess ill take a look anyway. Kitchenaid had suggested replacing the burrs with part #KPCGBP which will only change out the current burrs for identical parts. Oh and by the way, the tell me they dont ship international. >

Im quite keen to try this Mazzer mini burr mod but I dont know if it is applicable to the Artisan 5KCG100 grinder or only the Proline Artisan 5KPG100ER. Does anyone know?

Comment

1700 views and no-one has any info??

For the record Kitchenaid have washed their hands of this problem so I now have a $350 paper weight. >

Comment

Originally posted by 69424B404018182E0 link=1259643334/11#11 date=1328517274
                          1700 views and no-one has any info??

1700 reads since the thread started in Dec 2009, not since you posted your response.

Comment

Hi Glenn66,
                            Presumably youve searched this forum for other threads discussing Kitchenaid grinders and coffee machines. There are a number and maybe they can give a clearer answer to which mods might suit your grinder.

You mention in your first post that the grind is too coarse but havent mentioned how you arrived at that conclusion. While it is a common issue there may be something else happening. You havent written about the actual technique youre using, what experience you have and the type of results you can achieve with your Kitchenaid gear.

So I guess we should ask why you think the grind is too coarse ? What have you varied to try and overcome your coffee problems ? Is there more than one model Artisan Coffee machine and which do you have ? And every Coffeesnobs favourite question - are you using freshly roasted beans ? Im not doubting things are working for you, just trying to understand.

Give us some additional info and maybe others will have advice to give.

Comment

I have just bought a 2nd-hand Artisan 5KCG100 on eBay and now discover that it also does not grind fine enough.  I thought I should just get new burr plates for it but after searching and reading various forum posts I have come to the conclusion that I should mod this thing with Mazzer Mini burrs.  I am pretty comfortable with how this is done but I can’t find definitive info on a couple of points. 

Firstly, is an Artisan KCG100 the same as the Pro Line? 

Secondly, I found a source for the Mazzer Mini burrs but there are 2 choices -

Set of 2, Replacement 58mm Burrs for Mazzer Mini Doser - Item code: 620358
                              Set of 2, Replacement 58mm Burrs for Mazzer Mini Electronic - Item code: 700108

Which set will suit my machine?

Also, can someone please post a link/s to instructions to the various mods to the 5KCG100.  So far I found url>> home-barista.com/grinders/modifying-kitchenaid-proline-to-hold-mazzer-mini-burrs-t2811.html is the most instructive.

Comment

Working...
                              X