Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tapping the portafilter on the front end of the dosing chamber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping the portafilter on the front end of the dosing chamber.

So today my boss brought to my attention that he didnt like the tapping of the portafilter on the front of the edge of the dosing chamber, because well, grinders are expensive and it might damage them.

I being the know-it-all I am, spun a yarn of how dosing chambers are reinforced for these very things, they were made to be like that. Which was absolute rubbish, I didnt know if that was a fact or not, but has made me curious.

Are the chambers strong enough to tolerate a few taps every few moments, 2000 times a day? Can we damage them with such a method eventually? or did the grinder industry know this was common and factor it into their designs?

Re: Tapping the group handle on the front end of the dosing chamber.

Originally posted by 5A676A7B7C697A080 link=1263033263/0#0 date=1263033263
    Can we damage them with such a method eventually?
    Id say so.
    I dont do it to mine.
    Find something else to tap on.

Rule Number 1: The boss is always right.
    Rule Number 2: When the boss is wrong refer to Rule Number 1.

Comment

point him to one of the site sponsors and ask for tamping matts

Comment

Or you could have one of these made up http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1259976500/10#10
        still reckon its the best thing since sliced bread, but then Im a little biased.

Comment

Depending on the type of grinder you are using you could try collapsing on the group handle fork. I use the Robur and have not seen any visable damage after a few years. If there was damage the forks would be less costly to replace than the dosing chamber. The only damage that can visably be seen on grinders where people tap on the rim of the chamber, is a valley on the rim where the constant tapping wears away the metal. You can be certain that tapping on the rim of the chamber would be frowned upon in barista comps.

Comment

@ pearcey and Jon W

Originally posted by 615C5140475241330 link=1263033263/0#0 date=1263033263
            tapping
            He said "tapping" not "tamping".

Comment

Originally posted by 6D514C575D5C4B5E565D390 link=1263033263/5#5 date=1263085564
              @ pearcey and Jon W

Originally posted by 615C5140475241330 link=1263033263/0#0 date=1263033263
              tapping
              He said "tapping" not "tamping".
              If your referring to my post TG (yes of course you were, had a very late night still half asleep) I also use the block for tapping, just neglected to say so in the original thread and its now too late to alter it. :-[

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

Originally posted by 08343D2530510 link=1263033263/6#6 date=1263086057
                I also use the block for tapping, just neglected to say so in the original thread
                Fairy muff.

Comment

I think TG makes a point, although one I already knew, just instigating the thought of the bad habit. One I am guilty of when I get on a doser.

Time to shake that habit out of my muscle memory.

Comment

Since getting my Mazzer Mini I tap on the group handle fork for collapsing.

Shake that bad habit Robstar

Comment

Indeed, a friend of mine actually questioned the settling of the grounds on the forks instead of on the chamber lip in question, and proposed a theory that it leads to unsettling of the grinds in the basket due to the vibration.

I argued that unless you were hitting the forks with enough unreasonable force to unsettle the grinds completely to one side, the difference would be almost minimal once youve applied a tamp to even things out a little.

Bad habit indeed, but what is a good place to settle? The forks? The bench? a seperate tool such as the Bumper? Maybe not even settle at all! Although if you arent using a doserless, you dont have that luxury most of the time. Perhaps the answer to all these factors would be a small mod on the forks to reinforce their vibration tensity, perhaps a small amount of electrical tape layered 5 or 6 times over the front lip of the dosing chamber to take the stress of the soft metal over time or ultimately a Bumper.

Perhaps there is no wrong, only room for improvement. But with such a widespread habit, I wonder if the manufacturers of grinders add an extra bolt or two to the chambers so we peeps dont completely break it off from the grinder base?

Comment

Im a bench person when it comes to settling grounds, first thing that rocky lost was the PF stand, couple of taps and smooth over with the fingers and a light tap with the tamper (wood part as the metal messes up the finish on the PF), seems to work well for me

Comment

hey robstar,
                          i hear your point about collapsing on the grinder forks can unsettle the grinds a little, sometimes when you collapse you can kinda bounce the handle a little and can see the grinds shift about. edge of counter works just fine too. you could put some thick tape over the top front edge of the doser if you wanted. youll also notice that youll get etch mark on the bottom of the handle too from collapsing on the doser...

Comment

Has everyone forgotten the opening line?

Originally posted by 330E0312150013610 link=1263033263/0#0 date=1263033263
                            So today my boss brought to my attention that he didnt like the tapping of the group handle on the front of the edge of the dosing chamber, because well, grinders are expensive and it might damage them.

Comment

Could always just lay a small square of whatever soft-rubbery material as a tapping point. To completely negate the tapping of any part of the grinder.

Tapping the edge of a bench is too flimsy for myself when its full on and tapping a portafilter directly on the bench indents marks into the finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X