Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Conical Grinder Users Group...

Gday All....

Have been fielding quite a few queries lately, variously about what I think of them, can I notice a difference between my current grinder and previous planar burr grinders, have I had to adjust my roast profiles to suit... And the list goes on.

So, thought it might be useful and helpful if both owners and prospective owners of large Conical Grinders, could focus their queries and replies into a single repository thread such as this. Might make it easier to locate relevant information into the future.

All the best,
    Mal.

Re: Large Conical Grinder Users Group...

Hi

Thanks Mal for the thread - My old thread was a bit stale after having the Kony - e for three weeks.

Notes to date:
    The Rocky was quiet satisfactory especially with the Silvia but was not able to deal with the demands of the GiottoP.  So I was getting frustrated. I have noticed that the difference between the Rocky that I have had for 4 years and the Kony - e is quite significant.

The Kony-e is much faster (17gms in 6 sec as against Rs 22secs) and seems to be very accurate in its dosing. It doses by time and it easily adjustable in a read out - the weight is consistent.
    It is also quieter - even when the auxilary fan cuts in.  The grind being very slow is cool (420 rpm).  
    I am a very greenbean at making coffee, but from the very first proper grind all cups have been drinkable.

The coffee taste is quite different and doing a short double shot is really good (high wife approval).  Currently it has a whole taste.  I am using The blend that Epic uses - but dont get the same taste - yet - ( oh for a Synesso!!!! - no wife approval at all )

I decided (with Ws Ap) to jump the middle upgrade and go to the top - I have calculated it will pay for itself over 2 years (Giotto is well and truly in the black now).

(There is a hopper magnet on a ring that us a real mystery - it is available as spare part - which makes me even more worried!)

Well over caffeine limit
    David

Comment

Originally posted by 5C4D55514159380 link=1268471227/1#1 date=1268474074
      (There is a hopper magnet on a ring that us a real mystery - it is available as spare part - which makes me even more worried!)
      Gday David....

That magnet thingy, is intended to remove ferrous odds and ends that might find their way into the pack of roasted beans - nails, old rusty bolts and nuts, etc.... :-?

Since I roast my own and run a large-ish "NIB" magnet through the roasted beans before packing and sealing, I dont use the Mazzer part but if you buy your beans already Roasted and packaged, its probably not a bad idea to install it in the bean hopper... Just in case . A chunk of steel, an old 3" nail or something equally nasty may well do some damage to those precious set of burrs so better to be safe than sorry.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

I am one of those strange people who likes to know what is inside a machine.

I have been hunting for a exploded parts diagram for the Kony-e.
        I have found on the net a rather low grade one for the Robur-e which I have touched up in photoshop. But has any one found one for the Kony-e  that is clear and has information about the part reference numbers.

The manual accompanying the unit was sparse to put it mildly. I understand this as in most cases the units are supplied under some contract or other.

I find it helpful to know what I have, and thus know what it is doing.  Help would be appreciated.

David

Comment

Originally posted by 33223A3E2E36570 link=1268471227/4#4 date=1268484204
          I have been hunting for a exploded parts diagram for the Kony-e.
          Gday David,

I havent seen a parts diagram/manual for the Kony-E anywhere on-line but that doesnt mean there isnt one somewhere. Youd want to be careful to make sure that if you did find one, that it was relevant to the models being sold here in Oz as there are a number of different configurations available for different parts of the world....

Mal.

Comment

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1197961695/52#52][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Comment

Originally posted by 260B0F030E620 link=1268471227/0#0 date=1268471227
              So, thought it might be useful and helpful if both owners and prospective owners of large Conical Grinders, could focus their queries and replies into a single repository thread such as this. Might make it easier to locate relevant information into the future.
              Good idea Mal.

Youve inspired me to think about getting back to cleaning the Gino Rossi so I can do some taste comparisons.

Comment

Good stuff TG....

Mal.

Comment

Clumps and lumps!

I noticed that I was getting lumps in the grinds.  I have been emailing other users about this. These lumps are not as hard as I had with the Rocky.  I notice if I stir them up to break them the result is a much softer taste.

I watched our favourite Coffee  shop grind (Robur-e) for our cups and it did not have any lumps at all!

I was talking with our suppliers technician about this and he said that the Robur-e I was talking about had had a modification.
                  I have no intention of doing this but it was interesting to find out a bit more.
                  Under the burrs there is an impeller that throws the grinds out into the doserless doser.  There is a anti static screen that the grinds pass through and from time to time the finer grinds collect here until they break loose.  These are the lumps I get.  It seems that some techs in setting up the big commercials remove these screens.  I have an exploded diagram of a Rubur -e and the screen is there.

I vaguely wonder if cleaning the screen would help - but this cannot be easily done as it is deep inside the grinder.  I may have initially been grind too find and clogged it up. I am just curious but I felt it was worth noting in this thread.

David

Comment

From my observations in humid QLD

The 3 culprits that cause lumps & clumps are
                    1] Static & humidity
                    2] Oily beans
                    3] To fine a grind

Or a combination of all the above

A small whisk does a fantastic job in sorting out those pesky lumps & clumps   see photo

KK

Comment

Nutate tamp can also be used to take care of clumps lumps

Comment

Originally posted by 5A5146515255555E300 link=1268471227/10#10 date=1268744482
                        Nutate tamp can also be used to take care of clumps lumps  
                        Yep, works a treat and doesnt require any additional tools to interfere with the work flow of grind > dose > (nutating) tamp > lock-in and pour.

Have been using this routine for many years now and it never fails me... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Reply #10 - Today at 00:01    Nutate tamp can also be used to take care of clumps lumps

For some one who is in total ignorance and probably needs clear instructions,  I would be very grateful if someone could explain what a nutate tamp is.

You have my complete attention.

David

Comment

Originally posted by 49584044544C2D0 link=1268471227/12#12 date=1268785612
                            Reply #10 - Today at 00:01    Nutate tamp can also be used to take care of clumps lumps

For some one who is in total ignorance and probably needs clear instructions,  I would be very grateful if someone could explain what a nutate tamp is.

You have my complete attention.

David
                            Use teh advances search function and select ALL posts.

Lots of post / discussions and even utube vids.

Comment

Originally posted by 7F6E7672627A1B0 link=1268471227/12#12 date=1268785612
                              what a nutate tamp is.
                              Mountains of discussion on this forum, on an action thats not too easy to describe in words.  So, applying the "pictures worth a thousand words" theory:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoVQTK0-9I

Imagine the circle thats nutating is the base of your tamper and youll have the idea

edit: beaten by a lightning quick (7th espresso for the day is it?) AM! :P

Comment

Working...
                              X