Doserless Grinder Modification - Macap MC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doserless Grinder Modification - Macap MC4

I recently upgraded from a Compak K3 Touch to a Macap MC4.

Although VERY happy with the K3, I liked the Macap for its chrome finish, micrometric adjustment and amazing build quality.  Weight tells a story - the MC4 is 3.5 kgs heavier than the K3 touch (5.5 and 9 kg respectively).

Before buying the MC4 I did lots of searching on the web and read every review and thread I could find.  One review suggested a throat modification to assist the grinds to slip down the spout.

I have made the same modification.  A quick way to describe the mod is that I used a dremel to grind away at the square-shaped aluminium outlet to create a gentle taper to eventualy match the shape of the large round spout.  Its a bit like port-matching on cars.

This has been a great improvement.

Before the mod I was getting approx 4-5 grams of coffee sitting in the outlet after grinding.  A quick brush removed most of this but I expect 1-2 grams were still stuck due to the lip caused by the large shape change from square to round.  This lip made the chute very difficult to clean out with a brush.

After the mod I get about 2 grams sitting up the chute.  After a quick brush I can now get almost all of the coffee out.

I recommend this mod to anyone with an MC4.  I would say its essential if you want to get the chute clear.  

It should have been done by the manufacturer.  I expect it wasnt due to the purpose of the grinder being for bulk grinding in a deli and not for grinding small amounts for home use.

This might be useful for other doserless grinders but Im not sure on this.  

I hope this is useful  ;D

Re: Doserless Grinder Modification - Macap MC4

Can you please give me a link to that review and a description of the modification?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 4B7A6E77622F2B2F1B0 link=1271046692/0#0 date=1271046692
      Weight tells a story - the MC4 is 3.5 kgs heavier than the K3 touch (5.5 and 9 kg respectively).
      If I ever design a domestic espresso machine or grinder, it is going to have a lead plate in the bottom.

Cheers,
      Luca

Comment

I cant find the original review online now. I printed it out..... If you have questions about the mod, post them here and Ill do my best to help.

Its worth the effort but you will need a dremel grinder.

Comment

OOPS. Now Im embarrassed - I just started a thread which has details on an essentially identical mod. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1271207775

Sorry about that. If Id seen this thread Id have tagged along....

I think that a dremel is the wrong tool in this case, BTW. Youre better off with a small file and some paper. You dont need to remove much metal at all and the file + paper permits you to get right to the edges. The last bit of grind that sticks is right on the rectangular hole in the grinding chamber - try pushing/thwacking the lid to create a puff of air. Thats been pretty successful for me in blowing it out.

With a file and some wet-n-dry, the metal polishing takes no more than 10minutes. Pretty easy work. Wouldnt add much cost to the machine : Taking it apart is probably only a couple of minutes too. Unless you disassemble top (which you DONT need to do for this).

Cheers
          /Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by 6D746260010 link=1271046692/2#2 date=1271164911
            If I ever design a domestic espresso machine or grinder, it is going to have a lead plate in the bottom.

Cheers,
            Luca
            Its already been done Luca.... :P

Have you ever picked up a KitchenAid machine (espresso or grinder) and wondered why these things are so heavy :

Mal.

Comment

While gratuitous mass might not actually do much other than make punters think it is a good buy; the mass of the grinder does have an impact, I think.

The actual construction of the Macap is kind-of interesting (caution: KJM is an engineer). The outside is diecast ally about 5-6mm thick (so it is solid) and the grinder itself essentially "hangs" from the top. While Im not a mechanical engineer, that sounds about right for ensuring minimal vibration.

/Kevin

Comment

Too right Kevin.... 8-)

Most of that weight is attributed to the mass of the motor/grind-head assembly I would think.... No lead weights secreted into the innards of a Macap (or any other decent grinder for that matter), theyre heavy enough as it is.... ;D

Mal.

Comment

Interesting Kevin - I guess it follows that the low vibration results in less noise.  The Macap is much quieter than the K3.

Comment

Another note - The Dremel was great for getting a smooth taper from square to round. The outlet to spout joint is now nicely "port-matched." I recommend this mod ;D

Comment

What is a good way to polish the inside of the exit chite? Any tips?

Thanks!

Comment

Well, I just removed the exit chute and used wet-n-dry under water... Took no time at all to get a smooth-as finish. The tube is actually cast, and the casting sand is pretty smooth...

I started by using one of those flap wheels in a dremel, but decided it wouldnt reach far enough in. So I went the manual (actually - since I used my fingers, its a digital ;D) approach.

I think I might revisit the "porting" youve done. I didnt grind it out to match, just smoothed and widened the exit from the grinder. Ive noticed it still hangs onto some grounds. Drat. Means I need to machine more aluminium! The only downside to hacking away the ally is that the whole motor/grinder mass hangs from that casting. Still, there is a british-standard truck load of metal in there!

/Kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin,

Ill get polishing. Let me know how you go with the "port-matching." Ive definitely found it worthwhile.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 7C7D7A370 link=1271046692/11#11 date=1272182055
                            the casting sand is pretty smooth

Sounds like they use Zircon sand, gets a great finish (caution- Ronin is an engineering patternmaker & this is his industry) 8-).

Originally posted by 6756425B4E030703370 link=1271046692/10#10 date=1272099033
                            What is a good way to polish the inside of the exit chite?Any tips?
                            Possibly Brasso to finish it off. Not sure if its food grade tho

Comment

Originally posted by 103C3F3A3D0C04530 link=1271046692/13#13 date=1272430187
                              Possibly Brasso to finish it off. Not sure if its food grade tho
                              Whats so hard about a thorough clean after using it

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X