Compak K3 touch settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K3 touch settings

My previous grinder was a Rocky. It was getting rather old and needed the burrs replaced. I now have a K3, and am trying to adjust the grind setting. For a double shot (60 seconds, 60 mls) the ground coffee does not seem as fine as it was for the Rocky, but perhaps more even in particle size. I think the coffee taste lacks some of the complexity it had with the Rocky (eg chocolate and nut flavours) and is more sharply bitter. I am after advice about changing settings to improve the flavour.

Re: Compak K3 touch settings

How many pounds have you ran through the K3? It could take some time to wear the burrs in a bit, leading to much smoother, more pronounced espresso.

So youre running 60 second doubles? Im a fan of not bothering with time or volume for espresso, but 60 seconds is a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by 25292424273C3D3B480 link=1299010663/0#0 date=1299010663
      I am after advice about changing settings to improve the flavour.
      My K3 grinds beautifully around 35 +/- depending on beans and humidity.

Sixty seconds is a very long shot and in my setup that would produce a bitter brew. I stop the shot once blonding occurs and that varies between 25-35 seconds for a 60ml double.

Comment

Originally posted by 54585555564D4C4A390 link=1299010663/0#0 date=1299010663
        My previous grinder was a Rocky.  It was getting rather old and needed the burrs replaced.   I now have a K3, and am trying to adjust the grind setting.  For a double shot (60 seconds, 60 mls) the ground coffee does not seem as fine as it was for the Rocky, but perhaps more even in particle size.  I think the coffee taste lacks some of the complexity it had with the Rocky (eg chocolate and nut flavours) and is more sharply bitter.  I am after advice about changing settings to improve the flavour.
        and

Originally posted by 4A51585D564E0E0D0C390 link=1299010663/1#1 date=1299011118
        How many pounds have you ran through the K3? It could take some time to wear the burrs in a bit, leading to much smoother, more pronounced espresso.

So youre running 60 second doubles? Im a fan of not bothering with time or volume for espresso, but 60 seconds is a bit much.
        Couldnt agree more with needing to wear in the burrs.  My F5 took almost 6months to settle down due to the small volumes ground in a domestic setting.  The only other thing the OP hasnt mentioned was if the roast profile or beans and their freshness has changed.  What beans are you using Mallotus, and are you running the grinders side by side currently to draw these conclusions (sounds like you are)?

Also bear in mind that any new equipment that you get will also need a user run-in time also... so go ahead and make a heap more coffee and enjoy yourself.  Fine up the grind little by little and get the shot time down to 30 seconds and have a great time!

Regards,
        BH

Comment

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

Put extraction time into Quick Search at the top right of this page, to find past discussions on how to improve your coffee. 

The longer the brew time, more caffeine is extracted resulting in bitter coffee.

Brew time is effected by dose amount, grind fineness, tamping, humidity and coffee freshness.

Adjust one at a time. Perhaps try grinding coarser for a faster flow.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 696568686B707177040 link=1299010663/0#0 date=1299010663
            For a double shot (60 seconds, 60 mls) the ground coffee does not seem as fine as it was for the Rocky, but perhaps more even in particle size.
            Hi mallotus and welcome.

60 sec is a very slow extraction rate and there are very few machines which would produce a drinkable shot at those settings. I wonder if you have made a timing error there?  :-?

Aim for a grind setting which results in about 50-60ml (from your double) in around 25-30 sec from the appearance of the first drops.

Visually, your pour should retain some "drippiness" throughout the pour to get you into the ballpark. From there, let your palate do the fine tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by 614640474A330 link=1299010663/2#2 date=1299014200
              Really? My starting point is usually about 39.5 and usually the variation is only between about 38 and 41.

Ive had a stack of different beans through my K3T and have never had cause to go below about 38, in fact usually anything nearing that point will go close to choking my machine.

Weird how theres such a variation between otherwise seemingly identical machines.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A2A2A600 link=1299010663/6#6 date=1299045340
                Weird how theres such a variation between otherwise seemingly identical machines.
                Not really

I would expect different settings for different espresso machines as well as beans.

Comment

Originally posted by 5374727578010 link=1299010663/7#7 date=1299046388

Not really

I would expect different settings for different espresso machines as well as beans.
                  I must admit that I didnt notice what machine you have when I initially posted but even when you consider the huge differences between our machines Im still surprised at the massive variation between our K3T sweet spots, especially when you consider that even one number up or down makes a significant change.

Comment

Originally posted by 797979330 link=1299010663/8#8 date=1299063599
                    Im still surprised at the massive variation between our K3T sweet spots, especially when you consider that even one number up or down makes a significant change.
                    But isnt the K3T a Stepless Adjustment grinder?

You should be able to dial it in within a gnats whisker of perfect every time, I would have thought.... :-?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 05282C202D410 link=1299010663/9#9 date=1299067897
                      Originally posted by 797979330 link=1299010663/8#8 date=1299063599
                      Im still surprised at the massive variation between our K3T sweet spots, especially when you consider that even one number up or down makes a significant change.
                      But isnt the K3T a Stepless Adjustment grinder?

You should be able to dial it in within a gnats whisker of perfect every time, I would have thought.... :-?

Mal.
                      Even so, the movement for adjustment is quite stiff. It wont accidentally shift on you but it is hard to make very fine adjustments. >

Comment

Originally posted by 7E595F58552C0 link=1299010663/10#10 date=1299093377
                        It wont accidentally shift on you but it is hard to make very fine adjustments. >
                        Ah, I see... [smiley=happy.gif]

They dont have much of a gear reduction then? I wouldnt call the adjustment collar on my Kony all that friendly either, it is also very tight but nevertheless, it is still possible to make very small adjustments courtesy of the small extension lever (or what ever the correct name is) that screws into the collar.

I guess its the fate of most of us in a domestic situation. The usage is so infrequent compared to their targeted user group, that most of us will be churning out espresso from our wheel-chairs by the time everything frees up. Probably something that most of us dont even consider when opting for a commercial grinder - Cest la vie.... : 8-)

Mal.

Comment

How do you tell that you are on 35?

The reason I ask is that on mine the position indicator (little pin) rotates with the grind regulator (the one with the numbers). As a result the position indicator is always sitting on 42. To the left and right of the shoot cover (not moving with the top) are little beans and words indicating fine and coarse. Its a 2010 model.

Cheers

Stinky

Comment

I was just looking at mine and couldnt work out how you would assign a number :-?

I just had to coarsen mine up a bit, easy enough to move a couple of mm at a time. had to go out twice with the new beans I have, 4 days post roast.

30 second double and it tastes great 8-)

Comment

It seems a little odd that the numbers also turn with the reference (position) indicator. I must admit I dont need to adjust it often.

Comment

Working...
                              X