New manual conical burr grinder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New manual conical burr grinder.

Due to the commercial nature of this site I wont post a direct link, but an american company has developed a very interesting new grinder that uses commercial 70mm conical burr grinders and basically meets all the things people have been looking for in a high end manual grinder.

Its called a Pharos Manual grinder and a google search will help you find it.

Re: New manual conical burr grinder.

Originally posted by 5A5C5148505C443D0 link=1301746558/0#0 date=1301746558
    Due to the commercial nature of this site I wont post a direct link, but an american company has developed a very interesting new grinder that uses commercial 70mm conical burr grinders and basically meets all the things people have been looking for in a high end manual grinder.

Its called a Pharos Manual grinder and a google search will help you find it.
    Yep thats the Orphan Espresso development
    Doug has been working on it for about 4 years

I will link a photo

KK

Comment

Price has been announced - US$245

EDIT - now available for purchase from their website, I have ordered mine.

Comment

Looking forward to your impressions of this grinder!

Comment

Wow impressive. Says it will grind from Turkish to plunger. Ive always been wary of grinders (and manufacturers) that claim this huge grinding range, however if Doug states it, its most likely to be so.

Let us know how it turns out galumay.

Comment

That is one great looking piece of machinery.

I really want to hear about how it works in practice.

Greg

Comment

Could do with a bit more of a chute for inserting the beans but other than that love the chunky no fuss engineering and at that price a bargain 8-). I need some other bits and pieces from them I cant get in Oz so I guess I need one of these too.

I think it might solve my decaff soy latte grinder issue too, you want a what ??? then grind your own ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 6265616E666C79696E67000 link=1301746558/6#6 date=1301814223
                Could do with a bit more of a chute for inserting the beans
                yep bit like feeding marbles into a chute IMO, still boggled by the aluminum and tooling, such nice bolts, chunky 5 pounder no chance of stripping those threads, must be  a fiitter and turners/engineers  [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]dream.

Comment

Yep, given how long these guys have put into designing this, and their intimate understanding of the wishlist of amateur baristas, I am sure it will be an amazing bit of kit.

I actually like the fact that its just the bare bones and we can customise to suit from there, the main thing is it will work as a single dose, conical burr grinder that has almost no residual coffee to clear - thats always been the biggest drawback with commercial grinders for the serious home user. The time it takes to hand grind will be more than offset by the time saving in not having to brush the grind path clear i reckon.

Anyway as soon as mine arrives I will post a comprehensive review and photos.

Comment

Legend galumay [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks for finding this...

At the current dollar rate and weight it is a no brainer for the armoury ;D

Our trips to the Hunter are going to be even better 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 333B232934500 link=1301746558/9#9 date=1301826498
                      Legend galumay  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks for finding this...

At the current dollar rate and weight it is a no brainer for the armoury  ;D

Our trips to the Hunter are going to be even better  8-)
                      Thats a good point I had not even thought of - the portability factor.

A hell of a lot easier to pack than the Robur!

Comment

Sorry guys, but I just dont get this one...

Seems to me that if you travel, you want something light which will do the job satisfactorily for a travel setup such as a little hand grinder to go with an Aeropress.  :-?

I fail to see the relevance of this except for "audiophiles" etc... Waaaaay too much mucking around to get a cup of coffee.

Each to his own, but I see this grinderenstein and the Versalab for that matter as a bit of a joke....

Comment

Originally posted by 0E3B36310519353C3C3F3F5A0 link=1301746558/11#11 date=1301877935
                          Sorry, but I just dont get this one...
                          Apart from the simple maths of a good sized conical burr set for less than the price of a Breville or a Rocky. Low-Zero wastage for home use where it seems around here most are only consuming 2 or 3 shots a day. Low noise and a bit of gentle exercise in the morning

Certainly not for everyone but for those wanting a quality alternative to the ceramic portables or bang for your buck compared to an electric it makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Of course there is a market for this....for the Snob who has everything. Eventually I think this might be something that will end up on the collection shelf.

The vast majority of people balk at an $80 spend on a hand grinder, let alone the price tag of this one. The comparison between this and an electric grinder is an even tougher sell.

Good luck getting the grinds into the basket. I think theres an after-market accessory opportunity there. I could design a drop dead centre funnel for oh, $150.00. Takers?

Comment

Originally posted by 04252E2E2933400 link=1301746558/13#13 date=1301880286
                              drop dead centre funnel for oh, $150.00. Takers?
                              Funnily enough the manufacturers of this grinder already make PF funnels maybe it is part of their evil marketing plot to sell them too

Comment

Working...
                              X