Which grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which grinder

I currently have a Saeco burr grinder I bought when I got my Via Venizia some years ago and wish to get a new one so which would be the better from these? the Lelit PL043 for $325 the Isomac professional foe $325 or the Iberital challenge for $330 or a Rocky for $460.

Re: Which grinder

Originally posted by 475C5D4A5E02330 link=1303074943/0#0 date=1303074943
    I currently have a Saeco burr grinder I bought when I got my Via Venizia some years ago and wish to get a new one so which would be the better from these? the Lelit PL043 for $325 the Isomac professional foe $325 or the Iberital challenge for $330 or a Rocky for $460.
    From those options, Id choose the Breville Smart grinder for <$300.

Comment

Hi Tonym1,

The Lelit PL043 and Isomac grinders are the most compact out of your list, so good for when space is at a premium. Their stainless steel bodies also look great next to a shiny espresso machine! The Iberital has stepless adjustment - you could find this better for dialling in espresso but if you want a grinder for plunger as well this will generally not be as good. The Rocky is a solid, proven performer and easy to adjust from espresso to plunger. All of these grinders have their pros and cons so if you give us a call, we can go into more detail given your specific requirements.

Furthermore, all the grinders we sell (and that inlcludes all the ones in your list) are guaranteed to grind fine enough for espresso out of the box.

charlie

Comment

Hello Tonym1

And our guarantee is that the Breville Smart Grinder is a better performer than those you have mentioned, is quieter, and has more useful features than those in your list.

If you wish, we can even dial it in for you to ensure the grind is appropriate for your preferred method of brewing. That service is available no matter what grinder we sell.

Cheers
        Den

Comment

ive had a brevile smart grinder coupled with my saeco vv for couple of weeks... its a great match, by far the the best grinder buy under 300 bucks!!

Comment

Originally posted by 654A5B6D434E4C446C4E494A2F0 link=1303074943/2#2 date=1303082635
            The Iberital has stepless adjustment - you could find this better for dialling in espresso but if you want a grinder for plunger as well this will generally not be as good.
            I live with same doubts. I like espresso, but my day living with 2 small kids forces me to use plunger more and more.
            As I noted in other post Im thinking to upgrade gaggia mdf to Macap M4c or even M7D, but not so sure this could be best bet for plunger too.
            So,Id go in 2ways:
            1/ to have 2grinders separate for espresso and plunger
            2/ or to use M7D (even for plunger) or Hario Skerton (just for plunger) if I couldnt find better grind solution for plunger.

advices?

Comment

thanks for the replies, as far as Breville goes I never really associated that brand with quality coffee  equipment, I always thought of it as cheap department store stuff and thought the Italian gear was the go. I am about to get a new espresso machine also and was thinking either a Silvia or a Lelit, dont use that much to warrant a $1600 machine.

Comment

Originally posted by 657E7F687C20110 link=1303074943/6#6 date=1303117403
                thanks for the replies, as far as Breville goes I never really associated that brand with quality coffee  equipment, I always thought of it as cheap department store stuff and thought the Italian gear was the go. I am about to get a new espresso machine also and was thinking either a Silvia or a Lelit, dont use that much to warrant a $1600 machine.
                Just goes to show Tony. Sometimes something happens and you have to rethink everything.

Breville has redefined entry level grinders with the smart grinder and I really think the next logical step up in performance is Compak K3T level at circa 2x the price.

Have a read of the Breville thread

Chris

Comment

I thing the smart grinder is not really entry level.

there are all sorts of cheap nasty things a lot more basic than the smart grinder

it is more likely that breville have realized that the market for better home coffee equipment is large enough that it is worth pursuing.

Comment

Originally posted by 68636253626D657E620C0 link=1303074943/8#8 date=1303211834
                    I thing the smart grinder is not really entry level.
                    Agreed pentaque,

Lots of whizzers etc exist and many will do something along the lines of chop coffee beans.

I think tony is looking for an entry level espresso grinder and the smart grinder along with those on his list would all be considered "entry level" for espresso

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Hello each, Im a newbie, so go easy.

Just completed a coffee course and the very first words out of our instructors mouth were to buy the best coffee grinder you can afford. If nothing else, the grind of the coffee is the most important aspect of make a decent cup.

Ive got a Breville Cafe Venezia machine and for all intents and purposes, it produces a very good coffee - even with pre-packaged coffee. I now want to take it to the next step and start grinding my own.

Ive seen a few reviews on the Breville Smart Grinder and I thought that if the grinder is as good a performer as the coffee machine I have, why wouldnt I go down the Breville path again?

Would like to get your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D594742425D2E0 link=1303074943/10#10 date=1303457026
                        buy the best coffee grinder you can afford
                        I agree.

Not to say the Smart Grinder wont be all is is hoping to be but until I try it for myself I wont personally be recommending it.

Whats your maximum budget?
                        How long can you wait?

P.S. Welcome to CS.

Comment

Swills, welcome and may I say at the outset, I have a commercial interest in the Smart Grinder. We also range a host of other grinders.

I too agree with what your instructor recommended, though determining what is a good grinder is not always reflected in the price tag.

I know for sure that the Smart Grinder will do a more than admirable job with the coffee machine you have. However, if you are about to upgrade to a +$2K coffee machine with the intention of making many coffees in rapid succession, then I would recommend an alternative grinder.

Cheers!

Comment

Thundergod,

Thanks for replying. Ive got about $250-$300.
                            I might add that I live in Adelaide so if youre recommending anything, Ill need to add postage.

Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers

Comment

Could anyone suggest which grinder leaves the least amount of grounds in the the grinder? Mine is pretty hard to clean out  and if not used for a couple of days the coffee left in the channel /chute is probably not suitable for use. Im starting to like the Compak K3 Touch or the Elite

Comment

Working...
                              X