Sunbeam EM0490

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM0490

Just noticed this on the companys website.  Looks like it is essentially the EM0480 plus the chamber and electronic dosing.  Pretty similar in concept to the Mazzer Mini-e.

Nice add-ons I think but the Breville Smart Grinder looks like better buying for a similar price.

Re: Sunbeam EM0490

Looks like they havent really thought about it very much and are trying to play catchup to Brevilles offering.

I think the internals would be exactly the same apart from the electronic timing for the motor?

The BCG800 is a quality product whilst maybe not as sturdy as the EM0480 it seems to provide excellent performance vs price with all the great reports people have with it.

Comment

Any improvement to the sweeping and shoot design is likely good, I have both the previous versions, each has issues, if they fixed a few of them it may be worth it, but the Brev from what I hear is just that much better.

Comment

Originally posted by 7C737469757E1B0 link=1303365121/1#1 date=1303366592
        The BCG800 is a quality product whilst maybe not as sturdy as the EM0480...
        Ive had both (well my Sunbeam was a 0450) and Id say the Breville is if anything sturdier (if that is a word!) - and certainly better engineered when it comes to cleaning and replacing/locating the top burr.

Comment

I also have had both and I had the em480.

While the Breville is easier when it comes to putting the top burr back in the Sunbeam wins hands down on all other aspects of cleaning. With the Sunbeam I would remove the top burr and outer ring, remove four screws and remove ALL of the retained grounds by removing the bottom burr, sweeper and lower internal piece of plastic, leaving a bare motor shaft poking up by itself.

While I can remove the bottom burr from the Breville I cant yet see how to expose the sweeping mechanism to allow for proper cleaning. Even after using the brush as shown in the manual there are still old grounds in the sweeper.

But, the Breville does grind better with less mess on the bench which means better coffee at the end of the day so Im not going back.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by 2F353C372D362C5F0 link=1303365121/4#4 date=1303397371

While the Breville is easier when it comes to putting the top burr back in the Sunbeam wins hands down on all other aspects of cleaning. With the Sunbeam I would remove the top burr and outer ring, remove four screws and remove ALL of the retained grounds by removing the bottom burr, sweeper and lower internal piece of plastic, leaving a bare motor shaft poking up by itself.

While I can remove the bottom burr from the Breville I cant yet see how to expose the sweeping mechanism to allow for proper cleaning. Even after using the brush as shown in the manual there are still old grounds in the sweeper.

But, the Breville does grind better with less mess on the bench which means better coffee at the end of the day so Im not going back.
            My experience excactly. Ive been wondering how long before I want to get in around the sweeper to clean all the oily residue that will be building up. The sunbeam used to get a proper clean regulary and it was pretty quick and easy to do a thorough job.

Comment

Originally posted by 475D545F455E44370 link=1303365121/4#4 date=1303397371

+2 !

Originally posted by 635E5A5A4E370 link=1303365121/5#5 date=1303428385
              My experience excactly.  Ive been wondering how long before I want to get in around the sweeper to clean all the oily residue that will be building up.  The sunbeam used to get a proper clean regulary and it was pretty quick and easy to do a thorough job.
              +1

I took mine outside and with the bottom burr removed, I used a small hand pump to blow out whatever was still there after using the brush...  Sort of messy, but seemed pretty effective!

Comment

Originally posted by 5F5E5447595C46350 link=1303365121/0#0 date=1303365121
                the Breville Smart Grinder looks like better buying for a similar price.
                +1

Originally posted by 6A2C767469671D0 link=1303365121/6#6 date=1303437898
                I took mine outside and with the bottom burr removed, I used a small hand pump to blow out whatever was still there after using the brush...  Sort of messy, but seemed pretty effective!
                Hi Avid and welcome,

Pressurised air of any sort and coffee grinders are never happy partners and are best avoided lest you send ground coffee into places where it should not be.

The general consensus here is that if required, its best to use a vacuum.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 3B647C6A616A666F6F6C6C646867090 link=1303365121/7#7 date=1303438052
                  The general consensus here is that if required, its best to use a vacuum.
                  I guess that is the safest advice and certainly what should be given on a public forum, but I saw some discussion on this in this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1103400488/8#8 and I was thinking that the chamber down inside should be pretty well sealed so as long as one is careful and keeps the rest of the grinder covered it shouldnt cause too many problems...   

I always would use a vacuum with the em0480 as like people have said, you can take the whole top off and easily clean it out, but getting the vacuum to the breville isnt quite as easy I dont think...

Gone a little off topic but I think the general idea is that if the sunbeam has one good point over the breville, it is that it is much easier to clean thoroughly...

The general consensus on CS seems to be that grinder cleaning doesnt need to be done very regularly, but Im thinking surely the buildup of stale coffee grounds and oils is going affect the coffee after even a month or so?  The lack of talk on this subject suggests to me that most people dont think this is so, so maybe I will leave it at that.

Cheers! 

Comment

Its good that you can easily get the Sunbeam apart for a thorough clean because it retains a hell of a lot of grinds.

Comment

Working...
                    X