Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCG800 - How to unjam?

Hi,

My first post! I bought a BCG800 a couple of months ago, and other than not grinding some beans fine enough (which I see there is a solution to), it has been great

Yesterday I was grinding some beans on its finest setting and suddenly it made a very loud clicking noise.

It sounds like the motor is slipping and not grinding anymore. I cleaned out all of the beans and grinds and without any beans in the hopper the motor spins freely. However if I put beans in the hopper it will grind ok for a few seconds and then start clicking again. I dont get any grinds out the bottom.

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Steve

Re: BCG800 - How to unjam?

Originally posted by 36382F2E39282F3E295B0 link=1303692651/0#0 date=1303692651
    Hi,

My first post!  I bought a BCG800 a couple of months ago, and other than not grinding some beans fine enough (which I see there is a solution to), it has been great

Yesterday I was grinding some beans on its finest setting and suddenly it made a very loud clicking noise.

It sounds like the motor is slipping and not grinding anymore.  I cleaned out all of the beans and grinds and without any beans in the hopper the motor spins freely.  However if I put beans in the hopper it will grind ok for a few seconds and then start clicking again.  I dont get any grinds out the bottom.

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Steve
    Sounds like a non-user serviceable problem. Contact your retailer and they will have a support person wholl put you right in no time at all... Especially if you purchased from a sponsor. If you bought from Myer/HN etc.... Let us know how you get on. An associates Sunbeam did a similar thing and had to be replaced by Myer... eventually! Good luck and keep us posted. The robustness of new technology is of great interest to many around here and luckily, the good experiences are just as prevalent as the less good on this unusual forum. Where is AM when you need him??

Comment

Hello Steve and welcome to CS!

Once you have removed the plug from the powerpoint, have you tried disassembling to the extent of removing the top burr and cleaning? From memory, there are directions provided in the user guide. If you get to this, also try turning the grinder upside down and give it a tap with your hand on the side in case theres a build up of coffee grinds inside.

Hope that helps (and works)
      Den (aka Cuppacoffee)

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  Yes I removed the top burr and cleaned out everything.  It is like there is something stuck or jammed shut in the path of the grinds causing fresh grinds to back up and cause the motor to slip.  Maybe something has failed?

I bought it from HN, only just found this site.  I may go down and see if they will swap. 

Comment

Originally posted by 4C4255544352554453210 link=1303692651/3#3 date=1303701865
          Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  Yes I removed the top burr and cleaned out everything.  It is like there is something stuck or jammed shut in the path of the grinds causing fresh grinds to back up and cause the motor to slip.  Maybe something has failed?

I bought it from HN, only just found this site.  I may go down and see if they will swap. 
          Hi Steve,

Sounds like the grind path may indeed be blocked with extremely fine coffee. Try clearing it first and then keep in mind that its always best not to go more than a couple of clicks finer without pulsing the grinder.

I always recommend that newbs start at the coarse end first and then dial in from there. Hope youre up and running soon.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 41606B6B6C76050 link=1303692651/2#2 date=1303697369
            in case theres a build up of coffee grinds inside.
            Originally posted by 376870666D666A6363606068646B050 link=1303692651/4#4 date=1303705106
            grind path may indeed be blocked with extremely fine coffee
            I still think this is the most likely cause. You can try unplugging the grinder and inserting/poking a plastic straw upwards from where the coffee is usually dispensed (not the entire straw...lol). If it comes away with coffee then its a sure sign.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Comment

Re: BCG800 - How to unjam? -FIXED

Hi.  Managed to clear the obstuction.  There was something fibrous stuck in the grinds path.  I had to use fine tweezers to pull it out.

It didnt take much to block the grinds path (which is slightly to the front RHS when facing the grider

Thanks for all of the replies
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 787661607766617067150 link=1303692651/6#6 date=1303710714
                There was something fibrous stuck in the grinds path
                Check your ties or shirt tails ;D

Thats great news - glad to have been of help.

Comment

Originally posted by 25040F0F0812610 link=1303692651/7#7 date=1303711048
                  Originally posted by 787661607766617067150 link=1303692651/6#6 date=1303710714
                  There was something fibrous stuck in the grinds path
                  Check your ties or shirt tails  ;D

Thats great news - glad to have been of help.
                  CS Sponsors 1 : Hardly Normal 0 8-) Thats why these guys arevthe pros!

Comment

Thankyou Brett...thats very nice of you.

Comment

Hello.  I had a jam after grinding some flavoured coffee beans.  They must have been a bit oily or something.  I had tried everything I could think of and done searching around this site and got very depressed that Id be without my beloved grinder.  Living overseas my situation was dire...

However dont despair!!!!!

I found a brilliant and easy solution using a vacuum cleaner.  I just removed the metal pipe and used the plastic elbow bit if you know what I mean.  Take off the been hopper and suck out all the grinds, putting the nozzle directly over the top burr. Put it on and off quickly, swivel it round etc. as this changes the pressure and helps dislodge clumps.  Remove the top burr and repeat the technique over the lower burr.  I also put the nozzle near the exit chute, though it was hard to get a full contact for complete pressure - it may or may not have helped.

This seems to be a very easy method for general cleaning, however if you have had a jam, repeat the last few steps several times.  I found that bits of clumpy grinds continued coming out from their hidey holes after a few attempts.

I still have to test my machine to make sure it is working optimally, but it is at least spitting out grinds again. A good sign, as previously it was just reblocking up again immediately.

While this was very useful to fix my jam, snobbers might find it a useful technique for periodic maitenance as well.  I was amazed how quickly it got the burrs and housing clean again.

Comment

This variation on the click clack lid also works a treat without needing to get the vacuum cleaner out.
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1288871951/509#509

Comment

Working...
                        X