Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

Im looking to downgrade/\/upgrade/\/crosstrade my Grimac Mia for a PV Lusso and similarly my Compak K3 for a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso sometime in the near future.

The biggest dilemma right now is tracking down someone wholl sell me a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso, or after this, a Vario (Id rather not pay the extra couple of hundred though).

Five Seeds stock some Baratza products - but one, they arent sponsors and two, they dont seem to have the Preciso.

Does anyone know where I can grab one of these and at what price? sponsors?

From all the reading Ive been doing the Precisos look like little beauties for a comparatively bargain basement price. Have I got the wrong idea? Otherwise, why dont more people use them? a CG reviewer reckons theyre the best grinder under $1000, and they only cost 2 to 3 hundred over there.

Anyway... Im keen to do a downgrade in physical size, but not quality, without breaking my unemployed uni student budget (tough!). The PV Lusso/\/Preciso is looking like a good combo!

does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Cheers
    Sam

Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

Sam, what about the Breville Smart Grinder? Seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews from other Snobs, and is a lot less than a Vario.

Another one that gets favourable reviews is the Eureka Mignon.

cheers

Sniff

Comment

Interesting - I hadnt thought about either of these grinders. The Breville name turned me off straight away but doing a bit of reading, Im definitely intrigued.

I like the encapsulated grind delivery of the baratzas/\/breville as compared to the eureka/\/my K3. I think the exposed spout is fine for a cafe when having grinds around is ok - but Im finding the mess factor frustrating at home.

How do you control the grind consistency on the Breville? Is it that knob on the right, or is the slider bar on the LCD some sort of touch screen system? If its the latter, Im worried about the resolution youll be able to work with.

ALso, people still seem undecided whether the Breville grinds fine enough for espresso, and I tend to grind a little finer than most(often running a synesso basket double into the early 40 seconds) so this is a concern. The price point and easy cleaning without disrupting grind setting gets the tick tick though.

Cheers,
      Sam

Comment

Sam, theres a shim kit that can be installed easily into the Breville to make it grind finder - check out Youtube, most sponsors who sell the Breville also supply the shim kit.

The Mignon is micrometric so is fairly easy to adjust.

The loose grinds issue can easily be solved with a home made dosing funnel, or you can get nice aluminium ones from orphanespresso.

cheers

Sniff

Comment

Frankly I think you will be wasting your money changing over on the grinder. The real difference in size from a larger to a smaller size grinder isnt all that significant when you measure width / depth.....only really significant if you compare height.

If you really want to go a smaller grinder and have a similar grind quality to the K3 then you should go the Eureka mignon. Why "should"? Because it is commonly available and you wont have to ask questions like "where do I get one". If you have to ask "where do i get one" (about anything), then in my opinion you will always have trouble sometime in the long run with service because if it was hard to fiond /. get in the first place it will be similarly hard to get after sales service for.

Also it is simple. A grinder motor and grinding plate assembly, inside a body, simple micrometric adjustment that shouldnt fail in a million years, and a couple of electric switches. This is a recipe for long term reliability.

Grind "mess" is relative to each individual. Some people have no problem with situations where others are driven crazy. There is no grinder that wont make a mess that needs cleaning up after use, therefore to give advice or opinions on a grinder based on its capacity to make or not make mess, is not really possible.

Hope that helps.

Rgdz,
          Attilio
          very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

Attilios always on the money Sam !
            To me the weight of the grinder can give you an idea of build quality to some extent. I looked at the Preciso as a pour over option, but opted for a modded SJ, but of course these are a bit harder to hide

Comment

Thanks guys - youre right. The K3 really is a great grinder and really hasnt done me wrong. It is bigger and heavier than the other grinders I mentioned, but it is built like a tank for a reason.

I think I might grab a hand grinder for those early mornings when I dont want to wake the housemates and mix it up between the k3 and the hand grinder. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 013522342F052B282823470 link=1303895250/6#6 date=1304073539
                I think I might grab a hand grinder for those early mornings when I dont want to wake the housemates and mix it up between the k3 and the hand grinder. Cheers
                ;D Yes this is me on the very early starts sitting in the lounge with the trusty Zass on my lap, all good !

Comment

Working...
                X