Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Smart Grinder with EM6910

Hi,

I recently bought a Breville smart grinder and my coffees havent been as good as they used to be. I used to use the sunbeam cafe series grinder (cant remember the model number).

I have noticed a few issues.

1. I seem to be getting lots of channeling and pinholes in the puck. The coffee oozes out nice and thick at the start of the extraction but very quickly becomes thin and watery.

2. Sometimes the puck is wet and sloppy after the extraction. What would be causing that?  Too fine a grind?

Would a photo of the puck or video of the extraction help?

Also the smart grinder doesnt seem to grind enough??  I have it set on 2 shots with 25% extra and I am getting 15 grams or less. Does that sound right?

Re: Breville Smart Grinder with EM6910

Sounds like you may be underdosing.

I think that the EM6910 prefers a heavier dose, maybe 18 - 19g?

That may explain the thin and wateriness, and also the sloppy puck.

Comment

Youre right Jason. It needs 18 gm dose to work due to its up-dosing design.
      As a visual guideline, the top of the puck after proper tamping should be 3 mm from top of portafilter.
      Do the five cent test. Use the search function for the test details.
      Aim for 30 ml in 30 seconds.
      I suggest after establishing correct dosing level, a good way i found is to start from a coarse setting and work my way to finer until the ideal 30 ml in 30 seconds is achieved.

Check your beans. Old and fresh beans require different settings.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the results.

Gary at G

Comment

Ok Ill try updosing. Its a pity the grinder cant grind enough in one go.

Should updosing also stop the channeling?

Comment

Originally posted by 332631313A373526303D33353A540 link=1304855493/3#3 date=1304865593
          Its a pity the grinder cant grind enough in one go.
          It can. Hold your finger on the button.

If it dosed perfectly for your sunbeam then it would only dose perfectly for your sunbeam with one type of coffee, on one particular day post roast...as long as every other possible variable was the same.

Re the channeling: what tamper do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by 29333E3F2D3B2329295A0 link=1304855493/2#2 date=1304862247
            It needs 18 gm dose to work due to its up-dosing design.

Aim for 30 ml in 30 seconds.
            Is that 18g, 30ml in 30s for a single cup? I usually do two cups at a time.

Originally posted by 29333E3F2D3B2329295A0 link=1304855493/2#2 date=1304862247

Check your beans. Old and fresh beans require different settings.
            Im using very fresh beans. Roasted on Saturday.

I tried about 18g tonight and ended up with a fairly damp spongy puck. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 051007070C010310060B05030C620 link=1304855493/5#5 date=1304938788
              I tried about 18g tonight and ended up with a fairly damp spongy puck. Undecided
              Is this pre- or post- knockout?
              If you remove the portafilter immediately after brewing, the top may remain quite damp, but you should be able to knock it out in one piece.

Comment

Pre knockout. But i didnt remove the portafilter straight away. Maybe after a few minutes.

Tonight it was a bit better. I tamped a bit harder this time. Still getting channelling though.

Comment

I like my flat whites on the strong side, so i go for 18gms for the double basket. Thats the weight anyway before tamping to get 3mm from top of portafilter.

Ok,what i can suggest now to you is disregard the 18gm and just do the dosing and tamp til you achieve 3 mm from top of basket.

What should happen is after brewing, there should be a slight indentation of the shower screen left on the puck due to the expansion of the grinds during brewing and theres no gap for standing water on top of puck.
                  If lower than 3mm, there will be a space from puck to the shower screen, thus causing standing water to soak the puck and make it soggy. When you try to knock the puck out, a bit of mess ensues.

Try that and see how you go.

Gary at G

Comment

Just a quick update.

Tonights cup was one of the best I have made on the EM6910.  I tried grinding a bit coarser and filled the basket very full (probably less than 3mm to the top of the basket).

No channelling. No wet puck.  Ill try to repeat this tomorrow.

For the record, I have a 1mm, 0.5mm, and 2 x 0.4mm shims installed and the grinder set on the 8th finest setting.

Comment

How many notches coarser did you make it greencardigan?

How heavy do u tamp? If ure not sure, use the bathroom scales.

Because the Sunbeam baskets are designed for updosing, i tamp at 3 kg only. I make it more important to evenly tamp.

Try one notch finer and see if it chokes the machine.
                      Try to achieve 3mm from top.

Gary at G.

Comment

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1293457924/0

When I bought a new grinder a few months back, I explored this topic - I learned a hell of a lot from the guys here. Have a look, there is some great advice.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D575A5B495F474D4D3E0 link=1304855493/10#10 date=1305454534
                          How many notches coarser did you make it greencardigan?

How heavy do u tamp? If ure not sure, use the bathroom scales.

Because the Sunbeam baskets are designed for updosing, i tamp at 3 kg only. I make it more important to evenly tamp.

Try one notch finer and see if it chokes the machine.
                          Try to achieve 3mm from top.

Gary at G.
                          Ive gone a few notches finer since I started.  I can go quite a bit finer before it chokes the machine.

I aim for a 13kg tamp. But probably go a bit heavier than that usually.

Originally posted by 545F475C5B5B3E0 link=1304855493/11#11 date=1305471678
                          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1293457924/0

When I bought a new grinder a few months back, I explored this topic - I learned a hell of a lot from the guys here. Have a look, there is some great advice.
                          Thanks, some useful info there.

Comment

How did you go there greencardigan?

When you dose correctly ie. dose til almost full, tap a couple of times on a mat to settle the grounds, then finish off dosing and level off, then tamp at 3 kg til 3 mm from the top, you should get a indentation on the top of the puck.
                                   The pre-infusion feature on the Sunbeam expands the puck before brewing.
                                            Then measure out 60 ml at 30 seconds for a double shot. If less or more, play with the grind settings.

Looking forward to getting this grinder soon to improve the quality of the shots.

Gary at G.

Comment

Isnt a 3kg tamp a bit too light?

If I dose and level off, my usual tamp will result in much more than 3mm from the top.

Comment

Working...
                              X