New Compak K3 Touch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Compak K3 Touch!

Just bought a new K3 Touch to get started before I get a PL041 in a few weeks! Ive had a quick play around with it, but right now the other half (machine, tamp) is not up to scratch.

Just a few questions:

Is it supposed to come with a metallic knob as seen on the right of this pic?

Whats the best way of knowing the best grind setting without having to go through my whole bag (250g) of beans? (I suppose experience will help). Right now Im either getting a very quick extraction or no extraction at all  :-[

Cheers

Coffee n00b :-?

Re: New Compak K3 Touch!

your getting closer with the grind.... somewhere in the middle of what your doing

try hard to keep your dose and tamp the same and then move the grinder setting just a little.
    the correct dose for your machine  plays a very big part as well

I suggest you buy  a kilo of beans when the new machine arrives as your going to have to find the new grind / dose / tamp  for that one as well.

i assume you would also get some "new burr" effect as well for a little bit.

keep at it, consider it an investment (the cost of beans) towards coffee nirvana

Comment

Originally posted by 737862757B723A783A7B76636372170 link=1305956193/0#0 date=1305956193
      Is it supposed to come with a metallic knob
      Yep - theoretically leverage to adjust the grind but also screws in to lock the hopper in place.  Never used it much for either.

As maheel said, the zone is in between the gusher and choker - you just nudge the collar a mm or two per adjustment if youre close.

Comment

Welcome "double-o-latte"....

A really helpful series of "How-To" videos resides on the ECA website and can be found here....
        http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm

Although Scotty is using different machinery to what you have, the basic principles are still the same, so it is well worth checking them out to gain an understanding of the basics. In my case for example, I dont collapse the freshly ground coffee (tap the Group Handle) as often as Scotty does, rather I only do it twice and in each case just a couple of taps is plenty.

Each to their own though and it comes down to what you can develop as a comfortable, consistent technique, since consistency is the name of the game with regard to consistently excellent espresso..... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 747F65727C753D7F3D7C71646475100 link=1305956193/0#0 date=1305956193
          Is it supposed to come with a metallic knob as seen on the right of this pic?
          There is no knob on current K3T stock.

We lost that but gained real grind on demand without a price increase. I know which Id prefer

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Having trouble finding a small hopper for my Compak K3 - any suggestions please?

David1954

Comment

David, try coffee parts. Pretty sure they have them in stock and they have incredible service. I get my orders the next day every time (when the Aus post couriers could be bother knocking on my door!)

Comment

Originally posted by 46565447504C350 link=1305956193/2#2 date=1305959649
                theoretically leverage to adjust the grind but also screws in to lock the hopper in place.
                On a lot of Compaks the hopper lock screw is replaced with a plug.
                A very important tip for anyone with a Compak that has the hopper lock screw - never use it for leverage to help rotate the collar unless it is screwed all the way in. I find a lot of them that have obviously been partway unscrewed then used as a handle to turn the collar - since they are quite thin and made of aluminium they bend very easily if used as a handle, and are almost impossible to restraighten without risk of snapping where they were bent.

Comment

So Chris, does this mean there has been a new release of K3T recently? Im looking to pick one of these up in the next few weeks, so if theres been an update to it I want to get the new one. Thanks.

Comment

I think in 2010 they changed the grind on demand function. Pre upgrade you needed to flick the power switch to the rear and it would grind ....... flick the switch again and it would stop.

The post 2010 change you flick the switch back to activate grind on demand and then by engaging the portafilter against the metal flap part the grinder will grind on demand.

The second option is handy as you do not have to reach back to switch it off again when your portafilter if filled.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Still havent found the right dosage/grind size, but Ill keep playing around. I find the grind adjustment dial is quite hard to turn, and the grind size markings impossible to read.

I know I should only adjust the grind size when the machine is running, but is it ok to have the machine running when theres no beans in it (to empty the machine of the last few beans)?

Comment

Originally posted by 2C273D2A242D65276524293C3C2D480 link=1305956193/10#10 date=1306233462
                        I know I should only adjust the grind size when the machine is running, but is it ok to have the machine running when theres no beans in it (to empty the machine of the last few beans)?
                        Not a problem. I always adjust with no beans in the hopper.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F445E49474E064406474A5F5F4E2B0 link=1305956193/10#10 date=1306233462
                          I find the grind adjustment dial is quite hard to turn, and the grind size markings impossible to read.
                          I find the best way to adjust is to nudge the dial 1 or 2 mm. Larger adjustments will have you chasing but never finding the right grind :

its agood idea once you find a good grind to mark the dial with a dab of liquid paper

Comment

I picked up my K3 yesterday.

Put some beans in and started grinding but nothing came out, so spent an hour and about 250gm of beans to get the right setting.

I suspect there will be others who will find it a bit stressful finding nothing coming out initially before playing with grind settings.

Shot quality has vastly improved over the Sunbeam 480. No comparison.
                            The pour coming out was body of honey rather than black water.

I also tried different beans on this baby and found that grind adjustments had to be made. This grinder shows up not just the nuances of the bean but also pour characters which the Sunbeam grinder hardly showed.
                            For example, one bean will pour nicely when i get the setting right, then a different bean will pour faster, and then a change of setting by 1 or 2 mm was in order.

The manual supplied was difficult to follow apart from requiring a magnifying glass to see.

My bean stopper seems to open partially. Does anyone have the same? Cant seem to open it fully due to 3 little nipples holding it back.

Overall though, theres a sense of pride of ownership. Very happy with it.

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 4D575A5B495F474D4D3E0 link=1305956193/13#13 date=1309324001
                              My bean stopper seems to open partially. Does anyone have the same? Cant seem to open it fully due to 3 little nipples holding it back.
                              You mean the sliding bit that holds the beans in the hopper?

Mine doesnt open fully either, I get a little bank of beans above it and I wiggle the stopper to get them down the chute

Comment

Working...
                              X