Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relpace K3T with Breville Smart Grinder or Not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relpace K3T with Breville Smart Grinder or Not???

Im looking to make grinding easy and repeateble for my wife.

The K3T does a great job in my hands but it is a bit tricky for her - the collar adjustments are a bit stiff for her delicate touch

A problem I see with the Breville is that the EM6910 needs a dose of 21gm and I dont think the Breville can do that in auto setting.  I would like to avoid her having to weigh the beans if possible.

Would the Baratza preciso or Vario fit the bill better?

If I go the Breville route I would keep the K3T but would need to sell it if I choose a Baratza 

Re: Relpace K3T with Breville Smart Grinder or Not???

Originally posted by 113630373A430 link=1306017833/0#0 date=1306017833
    Im looking to make grinding easy and repeateble for my wife.

The K3T does a great job in my hands but it is a bit tricky for her - the collar adjustments are a bit stiff for her delicate touch

A problem I see with the Breville is that the EM6910 needs a dose of 21gm and I dont think the Breville can do that in auto setting.  I would like to avoid her having to weigh the beans if possible.

Would the Baratza preciso or Vario fit the bill better?

If I go the Breville rtoute I would keep the K3T but would need to sell it if I choose a Baratza 
    No brainer as far as Im concerned Rusty. Keep the K3T and add a Breville to the stable. I personally cant see the value in the Mahl when the Breville does everything it does, but at little more than 1/3 of the price.

To get your Sunbeam megadose you will have to add a single to a double which is also easy.

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris for the prompt reply and sound advice.

Why didnt I think of that  8-)

Comment

Re the Breville smart grinder, the amount of shots that can be set on mine is anywhere from 1 to 8, so you shouldnt have a problem getting a 21g dose out of it.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 7251485B473E0 link=1306017833/3#3 date=1306030267
          Re the Breville smart grinder, the amount of shots that can be set on mine is anywhere from 1 to 8, so you shouldnt have a problem getting a 21g dose out of it.
          Not if you grind directly in to the Portafilter. When you slide the Portafilter holder in to the Smart Grinder a magnet on it trips a switch and you only get a choice of 1 or 2.

Peter

Comment

So I should be able to follow Chris suggestion and dose the basket 2+1

Comment

Absolutely... I do this myself for my Grimac Mia....

Comment

The Baratza Virtuoso Preciso isnt sold here yet. I spoke to the Australian importers and they are expecting them in a few months. They have have had great reviews so far for its price bracket. Around $300US.

Im personally going the Mahlkönig Vario route, and will be purchasing that soon from E61. I have a Compak K6 currently, and I considered many of the home size grinders. The Variio ticks all the boxes for me personally. Im bucking the trend that bigger is better ;D

I will be posting up a review of the Vario, comparing it to the K6. Would be fantastic to also compare it next to the Breville too.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B3138332932285B0 link=1306017833/4#4 date=1306039520
                  Originally posted by 7251485B473E0 link=1306017833/3#3 date=1306030267
                  Not if you grind directly in to the Portafilter. When you slide the Portafilter holder in to the Smart Grinder a magnet on it trips a switch and you only get a choice of 1 or 2.

Peter
                  Aahh, I havent been using the pf holder but still grinding directly into the pf, so the switch is being bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by 0225232429500 link=1306017833/0#0 date=1306017833
                    A problem I see with the Breville is that the EM6910 needs a dose of 21gm and I dont think the Breville can do that in auto setting. I would like to avoid her having to weigh the beans if possible.
                    Hi Rusty,

Im able to grind directly into the Sunbeam double basket using 2 shots and adjustment of the course control to give me the required dose (20g-21g).

Comment

Originally posted by 60424855404246270 link=1306017833/9#9 date=1306059758
                      Im able to grind directly into the Sunbeam double basket using 2 shots and adjustment of the course control to give me the required dose (20g-21g).
                      Thanks Gant.

Do you weigh the beans into the hopper or just grind from whats in the hopper? If you weigh each dose into the hopper do you get out the same weight as you put in?

Comment

Picked up my Brevile BCG800 today but it lacked the shims so not able to make a good comparison to the K3T.

I suspect that the shot will come nowhere near the quality of the K3T but Ill let you know after the mod arrives.

I was intent on buying from a sponser but I happened to be browsing in DJs while my car was being serviced and they were offering a 15% discount plus a bonus 1kg pack of Toby Estate beans valued at $45.

I sweet talked them into a further discount and got the lot for $150

Comment

$150???? Is that a typo?!

Comment

Originally posted by 41747B727A150 link=1306017833/12#12 date=1306152783
                            $150????  Is that a typo?!
                            The numbers sound more like $+100 to me? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 17222D242C430 link=1306017833/12#12 date=1306152783
                              $150????  Is that a typo?!
                              I imagine that large retailers will eventually do the same, with the 900DB... letting a couple go for ridiculously cheap prices. An aquaintace who is a coffee fanatic and works in one of the large retailers reckons hes going to wait and grab a BDB or under a grand. Thing is, probably will but you see it wont do us any good. The minute the sponsors sell up and go somewhere more interesting, the coffee scene will aspire to mediocrity and the pointy end where we frequent will be less accsessibe and less affordable as rare and ecclectic things tend to be. Im not going rain on Rustys parade and Ill be the first to congratulate him on his bargaining skills but lets keep it all in perspective. Sometimes a bargain is a warning...

Comment

Working...
                              X